ORU at Denver Fri/Game 1

theeagleman5

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Noon MST is certainly an odd time for a Friday start. But, since no/few fans will attend anyway, and with a 24 turnaround to game #2, it will allow ORU the opportunity to travel back to Tulsa on Saturday evening.   So, I guess there are some advantages with the early start. 

This paper using the NBA bubble is pretty interesting: Nature: Utilizing the National Basketball Association’s COVID-19 restart “bubble” to uncover the impact of travel and circadian disruption on athletic performance

...Moreover, we demonstrate that competition in a scenario where no teams travel (restart bubble) reduces the typical effects of travel and home-court advantage on winning percentage, shooting accuracy, and rebounding. Thus, home-court advantage in professional basketball appears to be linked with the away team’s impaired shooting accuracy (i.e., movement precision) and rebounding, which may be separately influenced by either circadian disruption or the general effect of travel, as these differences manifest differently when teams travel within or across multiple time zones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is what the Jan. 14 news release said about the women's game:

Due to COVID-19, the University of Denver will not allow fans to attend games at Hamilton Gymnasium.

Halftime:

Denver - 45

ORU - 44

FYI, Denver averages 66.1 points per game, with a -11.5 point differential.

The most points the Pioneers have scored this year is 75, in an 8-point loss to Northern Colorado. 

They have only eclipsed 70 points on three occasions; two of those vs. D1 opposition, and one of those two was 70 points on the nose vs. barely-D1 Dixie State of Utah.

*sigh* 🤔

Had ORU to cover and the Under.....not so smart on my part!

but, a win on the road in conference is nice!!

I wonder if the time off to prepare is what kept the game close, maybe tomorrow is when ORU wins by double digits...

TheEagleman is very happy with the result....only a small play but i teased Denver with the Over and it was an easy win....i had Denver +16.5 and Over at 148.5.....so it was a successful day with ORU only winning by four....I felt ORU would win but couldn't resist taking the home team with that many points....I am working and didn;t see the game but Abmas with another huge effort at 34....Weaver chipped in 12 and Glasper 14...I guess Obanor was in foul trouble all afternoon which held him to 21 minutes....so hopefully he will have plenty in reserve for tomorrow because Max played all 40 minutes and at that altitude can't be expected to repeat that within 24 hours.....still a real nice road win to move us to 4-1 (7-6).....:tb-blue:

Disturbing that ORU keeps giving up season-high point totals to the cellar-dwellers of the league.

It's doubtful the "just score more than they do" approach is going to work against February's schedule.

Up ten with about a minute to go and it just felt like somehow ORU would  find a way to lose again.  Nice to have RJ as a closer at the free throw line.  Glasper does not get a lot of praise but he has been solid all year.  Weaver also stepped up in the end, after K.O. fouled out.  Eagles also did not just settle for 3's all game but mixed it up with some drives, mid range shots, etc.  Just hope they keep improving and can peak around the end of Feb./early March.

TheEagleman has to agree that giving up 84 points to a very poor team today isn't good....not good at all.....and allowing 11 in the final minute being outscored 11-5 is extremely disturbing.....we have to do better or OT is correct....February will be a very unpleasant month for ORU Men's Basketball.....:circle-logoi:

All I can say is a win is a win, thank goodness it was not a loss! Step it up tomorrow and take care of business 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

All I can say is a win is a win, thank goodness it was not a loss! Step it up tomorrow and take care of business 

I agree!

Take the win no matter how ugly. Improvement is a must as the schedule gets tougher but a win is a win.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Saturday’s game will be played at a slower pace and with lower scoring, as the second game in 26 hours at mile high altitude.  On Friday, Max never really found his range (13-30 shooting), KO was shackled by foul trouble, and we still found a way to win (or perhaps, Denver found another way to lose).  With some tired legs, we likely need KO to come up big in order to compete the sweep. 

I don’t know what to expect today. Fatigue, particularly at altitude, can manifest itself in a lot of ways:  short shots, lazy defense, not as much hustle for rebounds and loose balls, more fouling due to being out of position, etc. 

One thing I’ve noticed so far:  ORU’s conditioning has really shown through in these Saturday contests. Playing at altitude today after yesterday’s offensive affair may put that trend to the test.