Spring Signing Period

Old Titan

For what it's worth, today is the first day of the 2020 Spring Signing Period, which has been extended clear through to August 1st (basically, the start of the fall semester)

So who knows when guys will actually sign letters-of-intent (since they now have so much longer to consider offers), or when signings might be announced officially:  as they occur, or all in one big lump at the end of the summer, or what?

Here's just hoping and praying all signees can come to campus by that time...

Kareem Thompson potentially a first-ballot “All Hair Team” selection, along with the likes of:

• Larry Owens - “Fear The Fro”!  Also, the return of braids to the Mabee Center floor for the first time since the ‘70’s. A pioneer for the new millennium.
  • John Showman - shooting guard from Jerry Hale’s teams with a spectacular “white man’s fro”.
  • Dennis Hippie - aptly named reserve for Ken Trickey with a carefully-molded Beach Boys-style surfer’s helmet. Always had a comb handle sticking out the back pocket of his snow-white warm-up pants during pre-game layup line (not joking).
  • Robert Patterson - another Trickey recruit with the most epic fro I’ve ever seen in real life. It rippled when he ran like it was made of Jello
  • Kevin Obanor - Another “fro or braids?” master of surprise. He’s like Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates:  you never know what you’re gonna get.

Any other candidates?

25 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Kareem Thompson potentially a first-ballot “All Hair Team” selection, along with the likes of:

• Larry Owens - “Fear The Fro”!  Also, the return of braids to the Mabee Center floor for the first time since the ‘70’s. A pioneer for the new millennium.
  • John Showman - shooting guard from Jerry Hale’s teams with a spectacular “white man’s fro”.
  • Dennis Hippie - aptly named reserve for Ken Trickey with a carefully-molded Beach Boys-style surfer’s helmet. Always had a comb handle sticking out the back pocket of his snow-white warm-up pants during pre-game layup line (not joking).
  • Robert Patterson - another Trickey recruit with the most epic fro I’ve ever seen in real life. It rippled when he ran like it was made of Jello
  • Kevin Obanor - Another “fro or braids?” master of surprise. He’s like Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates:  you never know what you’re gonna get.

Any other candidates?

You can't leave Robert Jarvis out of this conversation.

Beat me to it... gotta have Robert Jarvis on the list. And how about Dominique Morrison?

Both first-ballot guys themselves.

Dominque’s and Robert’s braids are like James Harden’s beard:  you wonder if any photos exist of those guys with any other look. 

Getting back to Kareem:  wondering if he’ll play with that “Neil Diamond Hot August Night” (Google it) waterfall thing going, or go the safe route with the foot-long ponytail.  Either style should be a first for the old Gold-and-Blue. 

And speaking of follicles, if they don’t roll back this shelter-at-home thing so I can visit a barber, I’m only a couple of weeks away from rocking a “skullet” that looks like a cross between Larry David and “Bozo - The Golden Years”. 

Anthony "Woosie" Roberts had a pretty good FRO going in his years at ORU....but ditched it when he got to the Denver Nuggets....met Anthony twice when he came into play the Sixers.....once at the old Spectrum and another time at the team hotel in Center City Philly.....he was always gracious to leave me and my wife a pair of tickets...a nice guy who left us all too soon.....😁

Still excited about Bergens signing. He has a lot of potential, can play either guard position.  We use to say on the sports forum that if ORU could sign one three star player that would be amazing but now they have signed a three (Clover} and four star player.  If Bergens stays healthy and does not transfer then he has a chance to be a great player for the Golden Eagles. This guy has a bright future

Have heard the coaches are thrilled to get Bergens and speak highly of the other recruits. They like Stevens’ versatility and think Clover will be a nice addition down low. 

Funny how in this age of so-called "position-less basketball", these three signees, ranging in height from 6'-0" (allegedly) to 6'-6" are all listed as "point guards".

The three-man-weave out top for the first 20 seconds of each ORU possession this season should be impressive. 

Maybe the ORU band can play "Sweet Georgia Brown" till the shot goes up:

None of this matters until Mills cracks the code on how to recruit players that can defend relatively nonathletic white guys from the upper mid west.

48 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

None of this matters until Mills cracks the code on how to recruit players that can defend relatively nonathletic white guys from the upper mid west.

Those “non athletic white guys” as you call them seem to possess similar traits as a number of successful ORU players who were also not known for being super “athletic”, such as Obi Omegano, Rod Pearson, Adam Liberty, Robert Jarvis, Kelvin Sango, Marcus Lewis, etc. - physical strength, high basketball IQ’s, great motors, and junk yard dog toughness.

Give me that kind of young man every day of the week and twice on Sunday over a skinny kid with flashy handles and a 40-inch vertical who doesn’t want to put in the work in the weight room, the film room and the darkened practice gym. 

Every year I marvel at the complete basketball players that the Dakota schools seem to specialize in cultivating. There’s a reason they keep winning all those league titles, and it’s not all because of length, or quickness, or explosiveness. It all starts in those little plots of real estate between the ears, in the middle of the chest, and deep in the gut.

Of course, it doesn’t hurt if you’re big & strong, too. 😉

• Like 1

My rant originally in this spot from earlier today (4/19) re: the failure of ORU Men's Basketball to announce any of their signees in the last few months was proven somewhat erroneous by my discovery later today of this Paul Mills' YouTube video from 4/17, where he discusses the three spring signees:

Still, it's really odd that NONE of the five spring & fall men's basketball "signings" have been officially announced by ORU Athletics Media Relations.  The only public mention has been by basketball staff members, through various social media outlets.  Why has the athletic department not followed suit?

Or, if these five fellows HAVE been officially announced in some form or fashion, why has that news not been posted on the ORU Athletics website, and has yet to appear on any local or national media outlets?

Very strange...

Good find OT.  Like the video.  Coach says some interesting things about the new guys.  Good point about Jamie Bergens, rankings are nice, but in the end can he play at a high level in D1. Mills seems very high on Kareem in that he has a lot of variety to his game.  Excited about next season: 4 starters returning and a strong recruiting class.  The Golden Eagles should be a top four team in the Summit League again next year.