Spring Signing Period

Old Titan

Any truth to the possibility that a huge star from Duke is transferring to ORU???...…..or maybe TheEagleman heard it wrong....Drake?.....😬

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Any truth to the possibility that a huge star from Duke is transferring to ORU???...…..or maybe TheEagleman heard it wrong....Drake?.....😬

The Oral Roberts men’s basketball team’s 2020 signing class features the best recruit in program history, two incoming freshmen and three transfers. 

ORU announced its latest signing class Monday after adding three signees during the spring signing period, which started Wednesday. The latest additions include guards Jamie Bergens, R.J. Glasper and Kareem Thompson after signing center Nate Clover and guard Sheldon Stevens earlier. The Golden Eagles are also expected to sign another transfer at a later date.  

I believe we will pick up a big before we start practice. Just a hunch. OT I think they heard you loud and clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ‘Bout       Freakin’             Time...

Best recruit in program history, huh?

”We’ll see,” said the Zen master.

- Charlie Wilson’s War (2007)

I think they mean highest “rated”... Not sure when high school rankings started. As Coach Mills alluded to in his video, Mark Acres is the highest ranked ORU recruit. 

We have had great success with kids that slipped under the ‘ranking’ radar (Gill, Green, Morrison, etc. )

47 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Best recruit in program history, huh?

”We’ll see,” said the Zen master.

- Charlie Wilson’s War (2007)

Mills said "Jamie's actually the highest ranked recruit ever in ORU history, since they've been doing it, since 1999. I'm sure Mark Acres is the highest."

The Tulsa World can't even transcribe a YouTube video correctly.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Mills said "Jamie's actually the highest ranked recruit ever in ORU history, since they've been doing it, since 1999. I'm sure Mark Acres is the highest."

The Tulsa World can't even transcribe a YouTube video correctly.

It's simply not true, no matter how you slice it.

Can someone please show me where this kid is listed ANYWHERE as higher than a 3-star (which Dominique Morrison was, consensus-ly)?

MARK ACRES WAS OFFERED BY UCLA AND DUKE, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - WHICH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PROGRAMS DID BERGENS SPURN TO SIGN WITH ORU??

On second thought, I think I liked it better when they didn't announce anything about recruits. 

Hyperbole much?? 🤮

9 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

It's simply not true, no matter how you slice it.

Can someone please show me where this kid is listed ANYWHERE as higher than a 3-star (which Dominique Morrison was, consensus-ly)?

MARK ACRES WAS OFFERED BY UCLA AND DUKE, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - WHICH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PROGRAMS DID BERGENS SPURN TO SIGN WITH ORU??

On second thought, I think I liked it better when they didn't announce anything about recruits. 

Hyperbole much?? 🤮

Like Mills said Mark Acres was probably higher but 247Sports rankings only go back to 1999.

Bergens is listed as top 200 player. I don’t remember Morrison being a top 200 recruit.

everyone sleeps on Adam Spanich.....

ORAL ROBERTS University has apparently landed its highest

rated high school basketball recruit in more than a decade

with an assist from its soccer program.

Adam Spanich, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward from Regis High

School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, announced Thursday that he

would sign a basketball letter-of-intent with ORU during

the NCAA's early signing period in November.

Spanich, ranked as the nation's 32nd best high school prospect by the

"Hoop Scoop" recruiting service, chose ORU over Iowa and Iowa State. His

older brother, Jason, is an ORU graduate who played for the the school's

soccer program. Jason is now attending the University of Oklahoma's law

school.

"I've visited ORU many times when my brother was there,"

said Spanich. "He had a good time at ORU and the Mabee

Center is a pretty nice place to play.

"I'm very impressed by the family atmosphere at ORU. The

Christian influence of the university was a deciding factor."

He also was very impressed by ORU coach Bill Self and assistant Barry

Hinson.

"I liked all the coaches from the three schools that have heavily

recruited me," said Spanich. "But I was very impressed by coach Hinson and

coach Self. I can tell they care about how I do on the court and off

the court."

ORU has not had a winning record against major college competition

since 1984 and finished 6-21 last year. However, that did

not discourage Spanich.

"They have a vision for me and I have a vision for them," he said.

Spanich closed out the press conference where he announced

his commitment by saying: "Years ago, I heard these words

from Chancellor (Oral) Roberts, but now they mean so much

more to me than when I first heard them, `Expect a Miracle."'

In July, Spanich improved his stock with college recruiters by being

selected as the top shooter in the ABCD Adidas Camp at Teaneck, N.J.

Spanich, who has met all of the NCAA's entrance requirements, is on pace

to become Regis' all-time leading scorer and rebounder. As a sophomore he

averaged 16.5 points and 12.5 rebounds per game. Last season, he improved

his totals to 23.9 and 13.4.

"Adam's a very good outside shooter," said Regis coach

Richard Breitbach. "He has a very good work ethic and good

court savvy. Adam doesn't have great overall speed, but

he has quick feet and dribbles very well with either hand.

"In college, he will probably be used as a small forward.

The one area he needs to improve the most is his defense."

Breitbach was surprised that Spanich chose ORU.

"My son (Dick) played basketball for Iowa State and I think

Adam thought I would be upset if he didn't go there," said Breitbach.

"But I feel Adam has made the right choice. He will feel

very comfortable with the environment on ORU's campus."

Spanich also turned down offers from Oklahoma, Texas A&M,

Wake Forest and Rutgers.

His father, Steve Spanich, played guard at the University

of Illinois in the mid-1960s.

Spanich plans to major in the health sciences field. He

is the highest-ranked high school recruit ORU has signed

since Mark Acres, who played for ORU from 1981-85 before

spending six seasons in the National Basketball Association.

Acres is one of four players in ORU history to score more

than 2,000 points and helped lead ORU to its most recent

NCAA Tournament appearance in 1984.

• Haha 1

bergens.jpg

Bergens is rated as the #16 Combo Guard (OSU's Cade Cunningham #1 and KU's Bryce Thompson #4). and #141 overall.

Does that mean much? Not really. Those rankings won't score points or defend on a Dakota road trip BUT given the choice I would rather have ORU sign players in the top 150 if at all possible.

Will Bergens end up being as good as DoMo? Extremely hard to believe... But it's nice that even given ORU's drought the program is able to attract guys with some visibility.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

everyone sleeps on Adam Spanich.....

Adam Spanich, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward from Regis High

School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, announced Thursday that he

would sign a basketball letter-of-intent with ORU during

the NCAA's early signing period in November.

Spanich, ranked as the nation's 32nd best high school prospect by the

"Hoop Scoop" recruiting service, chose ORU over Iowa and Iowa State. His

older brother, Jason, is an ORU graduate who played for the the school's

soccer program. Jason is now attending the University of Oklahoma's law

school.

What a great find - and so very telling of why you don't call some freshman the "best" or "greatest" or whatever before he ever laces them up, ESPECIALLY a foreign kid who has played against who-knows-who.

Look, Bergens may be the second coming of (insert name), but why hang that albatross on the kid right out of the gate?

Wasn't that point guard from Dallas a couple of years ago (Milton?) supposed to be the next big thing at ORU?

He. Never. Played. A. Minute.

What's wrong with letting this thing play out organically?

he came to ORU w/his twin sister who could have probably played for the women's team. 

ESPN even came and did a story on how little ORU and Self landed a top 35 recruit and how he was going to help rebuild the program.

I think the story was that Bill Self was brutal on the guy because of his defense and Spanich got frustrated w/lack of playing time and left after one season.

he then went on to 1 yr of JUCO and 2 solid seasons for Southern Cal.....I seem to even remember a play of the day involving a corner buzzer beater for him at USC that was on ESPN or the old CNN sports show 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

bergens.jpg

Bergens is rated as the #16 Combo Guard (OSU's Cade Cunningham #1 and KU's Bryce Thompson #4). and #141 overall.

Does that mean much? Not really. Those rankings won't score points or defend on a Dakota road trip BUT given the choice I would rather have ORU sign players in the top 150 if at all possible.

Will Bergens end up being as good as DoMo? Extremely hard to believe... But it's nice that even given ORU's drought the program is able to attract guys with some visibility.

I have no problem with saying Bergens is "the highest-rated recruit of the Paul Mills era".  But, that's it - nothing more for now.  And, it has the always-nice-to-know factor of being true.

This deal (like many other instances) reminds me so much of Doug Wojcik when he was at TU.  In his second or third year, he signed a pretty highly-regarded player out of San Antonio named Ben Uzoh, and to hear TU and their fans describe it, he was a bona fide NBA lottery pick.  Now, Uzoh ended up being a really solid player, but he was never able to live up to the hype he was shackled with before he even showed up on campus.

Why do that sort of thing to an 18-year-old freshman?  What does it help?  Does it sell more tickets?  Doubtful...

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

he came to ORU w/his twin sister who could have probably played for the women's team. 

ESPN even came and did a story on how little ORU and Self landed a top 35 recruit and how he was going to help rebuild the program.

I think the story was that Bill Self was brutal on the guy because of his defense and Spanich got frustrated w/lack of playing time and left after one season.

he then went on to 1 yr of JUCO and 2 solid seasons for Southern Cal.....I seem to even remember a play of the day involving a corner buzzer beater for him at USC that was on ESPN or the old CNN sports show 

Isn't he a D-2 coach back in his native Iowa now?  Didn't ORU play them just a couple of seasons ago?

not sure...i remember ORU playing an NAIA or D2 school from Kansas that was coached by a former ORU walk-on a few years ago

here's the clip i remember.......Spanich scored 6 pts in 2.8 seconds

54 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Like Mills said Mark Acres was probably higher but 247Sports rankings only go back to 1999.

Bergens is listed as top 200 player. I don’t remember Morrison being a top 200 recruit.

Then why not call Bergens a "Top 200 Player"?  Or, if you can show me the service that rated him as such, call him "ORU's first 4-star recruit".

But PLEASE don't breathlessly call him "the HIGHEST ranked recruit in ORU men's basketball HISTORY" (that's a direct quote from one of the tweets linked above)

Does accuracy in reporting (or posting on social media) mean nothing in this era??

(no need to respond - it's a desperately-rhetorical question).