Things Getting Ugly @ DUKE

vcboy2000

From urbandictionary:

"2. LAX an abbreviation of lacrosse. also makes you sound l33t."

HUH??????? What in God's name is "l33t" supposed to mean?

Still note that the number one meaning is the airport, but okay, I give.

My response to your question is: "What bug?"

As the Internet was coming into its own, during the early 1980s, hackers that didn't want their websites, newsgroups, etc, to be picked up in a simple keyword search began using numbers to replace certain letters (mostly vowels) such as A = 4 or E = 3.

At this point, l33t speak was only known to a select few and only used when necessary. However, in 1994, id Software began to add Internet connectivity to Doom and Doom II, leading to a revolution in PC gaming and also to the rise of l33t speak.

As with any type of competition, 'smack' talk became prevalent in online gaming. Phrases such as 'I am elite' became common place, and somewhere down the line l33t speak crept in, reforming the phrase into '1 4m 3l1t3' in order to demonstrate that the speaker was a hacker and someone to be feared. It was further exaggerated by purposeful bad spelling and eventually wound up as something like this, '1 4m 3l33t!' and simplified to, '1 4m 133t'. Hence the name 'l33t speak'.

l33t speak was still relatively unknown to the Internet masses at this point. It had almost disappeared from gaming entirely. However, a very popular web comic called Megatokyo brought l33t speak into mainstream with its infamous speak l33t? comic. These days l33t speak is very well known to the hardcore Internet community (especially gamers).

As you've already seen, basic l33t is just replacing vowels with numbers:

A = 4

E = 3

I = 1

O = 0

However l33t is a very flexible 'language' and you can go from this very basic l33t, to ultra 1337 by being creative; a few examples:

O = ()

U = |_|

T = 7

D = |)

W = \/\/

S = $

There is no agreed-upon way to write l33t, so it's up to you whether or not to go with light l33t, medium 1337, hard |_337 or even ultra |_33?|?. In this entry, 'l33t' is used except when referring to medium, hard or ultra '1337'.

The -0r clause can be used in place of -ed or -er, for example '1 0wnz0r!' (most commonly seen in ultra 1337 as '1 0\/\/|\|z0r!') rather than '1 0wn3d'. However it can also be used like this, '1 4m l33t h4x0r!' (in ultra 1337, '1 4|\/| |_337 |-|4x0r!') rather than, '1 4m 4 133t h4ck3r!'.

As a general rule, in l33t, rather than use 's' to make something plural, a 'z' is used instead. Also 'f' is normally changed to 'ph'. The short 'u' is often changed to '00', as well.

Punctuation is usually left out with greater consistency as the level of l33t increases. Full stops are left out entirely because, when you are chatting online, where you would normally put a full stop you just hit 'enter' to send the message and keep typing. Exclamation marks are used quite a bit (and usually quite a number at once), mostly because l33t is most commonly used in expressions of pleasure. Commas are generally left out in hard and ultra 1337, and are uncommon in medium 1337.

Recently after the dawn of MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft as a popular form of online gaming, l33t speak has become an epidemic to the point of burnout. Most l33t speak is generally considered a sign of immaturity or is done derisively and tounge in cheek.

immature:

some "l33t" loser "OMGZ0rz WTF n00b u d0n7 5|*34k l33t!!1 u r n0t 4 h4><0rz!!!"

everyone else "jeez, what a loser."

toungue in cheek:

friend 1 "oops i forgot to take off my caps lock"

friend 2 "OMGZ CAPS U 5|_|x n00b!!1one =)"

friend 1 "haha. gosh i must be a noob =p"

Now we can all talk l33t speak to eachother. Elite speak is used a lot on rpg online games. I play a couple and I often use the Urban Dictionary to figure out what the heck some of them are saying.

Heh, the sad thing is that I understood a lot of that. Chalk it up to a couple years in SWG and I just started DAoC a couple months ago.

I heard the lacrosse coach lost his job..... how was he involved with this event? Is he the scapegoat or did he lose control of the team? There was also mention of an e-mail supposedly sent out from one of the players.

The interview with the president of Duke University on ESPN said that "new" things kept coming to light everyday. These "new" things might have been incidents that were swept under the rug before. The president made it sound like the players were repeat offenders in breaking rules. It seems obvious that if players are repeatedly getting out of hand you have to not allow them to represent your team. Coach probably failed to do that.

...and VUfan, everybody and there mom figured out that I was talking about lacrosse but you. Not my fault.

I heard the lacrosse coach lost his job..... how was he involved with this event? Is he the scapegoat or did he lose control of the team? There was also mention of an e-mail supposedly sent out from one of the players.

Don't you mean the 'lax' coach? :roll:

The coach was already planning to retire at season's end (before this incident occurred). As the season ended early (on this note), I'm sure he was OK with expediting his departure.

There was a heinous email sent by one of the players. So horrific, that Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio could read none of it...

There was a heinous email sent by one of the players. So horrific, that Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio could read none of it...

Yea, I read bits and pieces of it, I don't know why anyone would say that stuff unless they were really messed up in the head. Although the email was sent 2 hours after the alleged incident so its kind of weird. The DA isn't pressing any charges for another week, no one really knows what went on, but with the silence of the entire lax team you gotta think that something did happen. Why would the entire team go silent about the incident.

...and VUfan, everybody and there mom figured out that I was talking about lacrosse but you. Not my fault.

That's Stl VU Fan. There is another poster who goes by VU Fan, and it's not me.

Where mom? Everybody else in this thread understood, but that proves nothing.

Oh, do you mean "their" mom? Did you get it orumom? Mrs.Smith? Those are the only moms I'm aware of on this board.

:lol:

Oops. I made a mistake. Definitely not too proud to admit it.

So, the DNA results don't connect any of the LAX players. And now they have time stamped photos of the woman already beat up before even showing up to the party. Now I really wonder what the heck happened. If this girl is lying she should be prosecuted. Accusing people of rape and lying about it should be a serious offense, you ruin peoples lives over crap like that. I don't know if shes lying or not, but this whole situation is just messed up.