Red Shirts....

ORUTerry

It was official last night - three players are red-shirting this year:

Sylvester Spicer

Daren Jordan

Moses Ehambe

It's nice that we have enough depth to do this. No sense in wasting them on a season where they would see very limited action. They will be much better in their fifth year.

Guest Rob Marshall

Did anyone notice what the red shirts were wearing last night? It's interesting the NBA established a "dress code" this season, and as strict and principled as this may sound, I'd like to see our redshirts either all four (4) wearing an official ORU team wind suit, or all four (4) kids dress like Ehambe did last night.

Moses looked sharp and presented a classy, professional image last night which was impressive compared to the other kids in their baggy denim and particularly Liberty wearing a headband and a way oversized jersey type shirt.

I recognize every kid may not have the financial means to purchase nice dress clothes and therefore perhaps wearing ORU team gear would be more appropriate so they all look the same and present a "together" team image.

Oh well, may just be me caring too much about stuff that probably doesn't matter. :roll:

I'm slightly surprised by the decision to redshirt Jordan. It leaves us with 1 true point guard for the whole season, and I doubt JB will be in good shape come March if he continues to play the whole game like he did last night. Fowlkes can play point (and maybe Tutt if he has to), but he's better at the 2 or 2.

I guess time will tell.

Great post, Rob. I couldn't agree more. I missed the first couple games on a little tour of our westernmost state, but my boys were there, and even my teenagers noticed how well dressed Ehambe looked on the bench. They told me that at first they thought he was a student coach or something before realizing who he was.

Having the non-suited out players dress both appropriately and similarly I think lends the appearance of discipline and respect for their position as Representatives of the team. Last season Schuyler Thomas and Eric Fowlkes always dressed nicely and similarly - designer jeans and similar shirts. One game they both might both wear a striped shirt, next game a plain shirt, or whatever. They looked good, and obviously coordinated what they wore on game night. I really liked that.

As I said, I think the way the guys are dressed and the way they present themselves off court really has the potential to give the appearance of discipline. For instance, some teams that come in will line up straight and be respectful during the Star Spangled Banner, while others are slouching around and not really paying attention. It's just a little thing that reflects positively on a team, their coach, and to some degree, their school.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about is what the ORU baseball team does during the SSB. The line up in three groups of three, one group in the outfield, one outside the baseline, and one just behind the pitcher's mound. It looks really cool, and makes you think that this is a team that pays attention to the details.

It would be great if they did this type of thing a little more with the basketball team, too.

Not all of the players have the same budget or financial obligations as others. They can't work during the season. I think Andrew is more concerned about spending his money on his daughter than a haircut.

Guest Rob Marshall

Mom,

I certainly appreciate your take, and if money is the concern for Meloy not having his hair cut, I'll gladly donate some clippers to the basketball program so someone can give the guy a free cut.

Drew should've taken a lesson from Luke. I mean, the kid cut his own hair! And he did a pretty good job of it too. And no, he didn't use anything but scissors.

I'm all in favor of Drew getting some Larry-esque cornrows, and while a little crazy looking, his current doo is a bit of a trademark I think. Its not in compliance with ORU dress code but hey...who am I to thrown a stone when it comes to that....=)

Guest EagleBackr
Not all of the players have the same budget or financial obligations as others. They can't work during the season. I think Andrew is more concerned about spending his money on his daughter than a haircut.

...I just about spit my cornflakes out on the monitor screen when I read this one! It's a joke, right? How much does a haircut cost? I'll bet not as much as that new tattoo he's sporting!

With all due respect to orumom and Andrew, if providing financially for his daughter is such a big concern, then why did he pay $12,000 (or so) to come back this year to play 3 minutes a half?