Sampson to Indiana?

orustatboy

And yes, being an IU student, I am shocked by this hire. Not because it is Kelvin Sampson, but because nobody saw this coming.

I think he's a better hire than Alford/Wittman, and I'm glad that our AD, Rick Greenspan, didn't just hand the job to either one of those two guys just because they went to IU.

IU fans wanted to see a process, and that's what we got.

We're hesitant about the recruiting violations, but the culture that surrounds IU basketball I think will prevent anything further from happening.

The fans won't stand for any sort of recruiting violations, and if word of him having any up here were to ever get out if they were to happen, fans would want him out of here as soon as possible, and we'd also want Greenspan out.

Greenspan has a lot riding on this hire, and I'm sure he and Kelvin discussed what happend. Sanctions can now follow a coach, so I'm sure that this hire was made thinking that nothing would follow Kelvin up to Bloomington.

Why do IU fans have it in for Allford? I would think he would be a no-brainer.

Why do IU fans have it in for Allford? I would think he would be a no-brainer.

Alford's record is very mediocore.

Looking at numbers (wins/losses, etc etc) Kelvin is better all across the board. He's more qualified than Steve.

IU fans don't hate Steve Alford the player...but I just don't know if he has what it takes to coach at IU.

IU AD officials also didn't want to risk Alford possibly becoming bigger than they are and overshadowing them.

Guest Rob Marshall
That said, the thing we need to be concerned about is the 'ripple effect'. If Oklahoma hires Wichita State's coach (Mark Turgeon), we might see a run at Sutton. Hold on tight.... it could get interesting.

Doubtful, but possible. WSU probably promotes from within (two great candidates already on staff there).

Here's an excerpt from an article written by Gregg Doyel of CBS sportline about OU's search for a replacement:

As for Oklahoma's next move ... it's not pretty.

Sampson's coaching tree is bleak, and the Oklahoma job isn't exactly considered a plum among college coaches.

It's a football school for one thing, and even if it were a basketball school, it might be a women's basketball school. Throw in the NCAA investigation -- again, potential penalties such as additional scholarship reductions and a postseason ban won't be known for weeks -- and this job is not going to pique the interest of established coaches at big-time programs.

If Oklahoma wants to make a painless transition from Sampson's staff to the next one, it would promote assistant coach Bob Hoffman. Hoffman is connected to Sampson, which is bad, but the NCAA didn't find him culpable in the phone-call scandal -- which is good.

Hoffman, 48, won big at NAIA Oklahoma Baptist and held his own at Division I Texas-Pan American, and while this sentence doesn't make him a sure-thing hire, he does have the state connections and the relationships with current players and incoming recruits that the Sooners will need.

Another likely candidate is Missouri State coach Barry Hinson, an Oklahoma native and former Oral Roberts head coach. Hinson is close with former Oklahoma governor and current OU president David Boren, for whom Hinson campaigned 20 years ago when Boren was a U.S. senator.

If you want to read more:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9343485/2

Guest Rob Marshall

Alford's record is very mediocore.

Looking at numbers (wins/losses, etc etc) Kelvin is better all across the board. He's more qualified than Steve.

IU fans don't hate Steve Alford the player...but I just don't know if he has what it takes to coach at IU.

IU AD officials also didn't want to risk Alford possibly becoming bigger than they are and overshadowing them.

Simply said ... Alford's record at Iowa wasn't as good as Mike Davis' at Indiana during the same tenure.

Doubtful, but possible. WSU probably promotes from within (two great candidates already on staff there).

He's talking about Pooh.

Guest Rob Marshall

He's talking about Pooh.

Actually, the Shox "Associate Head Coach," Tad Boyle, would be the front runner IF he wanted the job and Pooh would be the second option. Similar to Norm Roberts and Billy Gillispie both being candidates for jobs while on Bill Self's staff together. Typically only ONE (1) guy "goes" for the job, but both would have interest in being hired to replace Turg.