Sampson to Indiana?

orustatboy

Now why would you want to hire a coach that can't count the number of phone calls that he is making into his recruits and is getting ready to leave his old school in a sanctioned position? I can understand if you miss the count by a few calls, but 500+??? Indiana must be very desperate for a marquee coach that is not related to Coach Knight in any shape or form.

I'm sure David and Joe are saying good riddance, but it appears that the next coach will have some dirty cabinets to clean out out of the coach's office when he arrives at LNC. Regardless, he'll be paid handsomely to use that rag and some Formula 409.

Who does OU go after? Maybe one of the MVC coaches... The problem is that the NCAA is coming for an infractions meeting sometime in April, so I expect that a new coach will not be hired until then.

Mike Anderson would have been the perfect coach for OU - given that the fans still look fondly at Billy Tubbs and his up-tempo style of basketball. But he has landed at Missouri - which seems like an unlikely fit.

I love college basketball....

This is shocking! Did anyone know Sampson was contemplating a move? Sooner Nation must feel like they are in limbo right now. This probably won't be cleared up for a while.

As an IU grad I think this is a terrible hire! Sampson is not the person needed to unite IU fans. Sampson hasn't won at OU, has a poor graduation rate and is under review by NCAA for various violations.

I was listening to the Sports Animal this afternoon from OKC and Jim Traber was interviewing a sportswriter from Indiana.

I didn't catch the sportswriter's name, but he said that he hoped that OU seriously considered Scott Sutton for the OU job.

He said he was familiar with the ORU program, and had been very impressed with the job Scott and his staff had done.

I thought that was an interesting comment from an out of state sportswriter, but I would imagine that OU will have their sights set on a higher profile coach than Scott Sutton.

Billy Tubbs is available........

I had actually heard some things about Kelvin Sampson leaving. I thought it was crazy. OU is already the big time. I can't imagine that Indiana is paying him more, he must have just been sick of Oklahoma.

I was listening to the Sports Animal this afternoon from OKC and Jim Traber was interviewing a sportswriter from Indiana.

I didn't catch the sportswriter's name, but he said that he hoped that OU seriously considered Scott Sutton for the OU job.

He said he was familiar with the ORU program, and had been very impressed with the job Scott and his staff had done.

I thought that was an interesting comment from an out of state sportswriter, but I would imagine that OU will have their sights set on a higher profile coach than Scott Sutton.

How awesome would it be for the OU-OSU rivalry if Scott Sutton was hired by OU. It's made for TV. Brothers coaching against each other in such a huge basketball rivalry.

Don't get me wrong, that would absolutely suck for us, and I would hate OU as much as I hate TU for stealing our coach.

First off, there is no way Oklahoma is going to offer their head coaching job to Scott Sutton. Their fan base would have a collective stroke. They are going to go after a more established head coach (Turgeon, UWGB coach, GMU coach, etc.). OU's problem is: who wants to take a job where there are probable NCAA sanctions (probably minor) and where you are the third tier program behind football (by a longshot)and women's basketball. The perfect hire would have been Mike Anderson.

Oh.... and Scott Sutton would never take the OU job. Still has too much orange in his blood.

That said, the thing we need to be concerned about is the 'ripple effect'. If Oklahoma hires Wichita State's coach (Mark Turgeon), we might see a run at Sutton. Hold on tight.... it could get interesting.

Here is why someone would take the OU coaching job even though they would have to face recruiting sanctions:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That said, the thing we need to be concerned about is the 'ripple effect'. If Oklahoma hires Wichita State's coach (Mark Turgeon), we might see a run at Sutton. Hold on tight.... it could get interesting.

It might end up like when Florida State's coach took a job so they hired Steve Robinson so Tulsa hired Bill Self. Let's hope that doesn't happen this time.

A large part of the Sooner Nation just collectovely exclaimed "good riddance." The local sports guys won't agree but it was time for OU to shake things up. I would not be surprised if OU helped Sampson out the door.

OU needs to focus a little more on offense. So does the Big 12. I hate watching 53-50 games all the time. Bring in a Tubbs clone and win 105-95. Its much more fun.

OU would never hire anyone named Sutton, especially a relative of Eddie.

Whatever happens, I think Scott stays at ORU to watch the dynamic duo graduate.

That might have been Greg Rakestraw. He said on his show in Indianapolis that he was on in Oklahoma earlier today.

He's the voice of IUPUI basketball, so obviously he'd know about Sutton and Oral Robets.