SDSU Omaha Omaha
PFW SDUS SDSU
Omaha PFW PFW
UND WIU WIU
WIU UND Denver
Denver Denver UND

All Summit League

Athlon Street & Smith Lindy's
Matt Holba (PFW) Tyler Hagedorn (USD) Vinnie Shahid (NDSU)
Emannuel Nzekwesi (ORU) Emannuel Nzekwesi (ORU) Stanley Umude (USD)
Vinnie Shahid (NDSU) Kevin Obanor (ORU) Kobe Webster (WIU)
Stanley Umude (USD) Stanley Umude (USD) Emannuel Nzekwesi (ORU)
Kobe Webster (WIU) Kobe Webster (WIU) Kevin Obanor (ORU)

JT Gibson (Omaha)   Triston Simpson (USD)
Tyler Hagedorn (USD)   Tyson Ward (NDSU)
Kevin Obanor (ORU)   Matt Holba (PFW)
Marlon Stewart (UND)   Matt Pile (Omaha)
Tyson Ward (NDSU)   Tyler Hagedorn (USD)

Player of the Year

Emannuel Nzekwesi (ORU) Tyler Hagedorn (USD) Stanley Umude (USD)

Newcomer of the Year

Doug Wilson (SDSU) Deondre Burns (ORU)

Thx for the composite view, Doc!

In response to those tweets and emails several weeks ago re: MidMajorMadness.com picking ORU to finish second, I said something about wanting to see these particular publications instead, before assuming how ORU stacked up against the rest of the league.

Well, the jury has spoken:  ORU is considered a legitimate contender this year by the experts. 

I think a 2nd or 3rd Place finish would be great, considering how the program has languished of late. 

But, what kind of record are we talking about to finish that high: 12-4?  11-5?  10-6?

That would mean a handful of road victories.  

But, where?

Gotta win on the road against WIU, Denver, Omaha, and UND probably.  Winning their home games is definitely a key as well.  Even with some of Scott Sutton's weaker teams, until the last few years, he consistently won a lot of home games and was usually at worst a 4 or 5 seed in the Summit League tournament.

27 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Gotta win on the road against WIU, Denver, Omaha, and UND probably.  Winning their home games is definitely a key as well.  Even with some of Scott Sutton's weaker teams, until the last few years, he consistently won a lot of home games and was usually at worst a 4 or 5 seed in the Summit League tournament.

Most seasons since joining the Mid-Con/Summit, an ORU home loss in conference play was considered an abomination.  

Now, not so much.

Need to get back to that sort of home court advantage if you want to finish in the upper division, similar to what the Dakota schools currently enjoy. 

Win at home and split on the road is generally a great recipe for attaining contender status, which would lead to a 12-4 record.   At this point, I think we still drop one at home, so 11-5 is more realistic.  This would probably land us as the 2 or 3 seed, right where the pundits are predicting. 

23 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Win at home and split on the road is generally a great recipe for attaining contender status, which would lead to a 12-4 record.   At this point, I think we still drop one at home, so 11-5 is more realistic.  This would probably land us as the 2 or 3 seed, right where the pundits are predicting. 

...and yet when I delve into ORU's conference schedule, virtually every week looks at best like a split to me. 

Until somehow convinced otherwise, I'm still thinking something along the lines of 9-7; maybe 10-6, and a 4th-to-6th-in-the-middle-of-the-pack type of finish.

JtQxblGJ_normal.jpg

I couldn’t be more excited to begin this journey with these guys! Practice #1 will happen later today. HERE. WE. GO.

Sounds like Coach Mills is ready to kick some A$$...O/U prediction for wins this season remains at 15.5....😉:tb-blue:

So, am I a "Debbie Downer" for suggesting that the Athlon Summit League Preseason Player Of The Year might not be the best player on his own team?

(Which is no slight of E-Man; just sayin' that Obanor kid was REALLY good the second half of the conference schedule last year.)

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

So, am I a "Debbie Downer" for suggesting that the Athlon Summit League Preseason Player Of The Year might not be the best player on his own team?

(Which is no slight of E-Man; just sayin' that Obanor kid was REALLY good the second half of the conference schedule last year.)

I generally agree that KO has a higher ceiling (already showing he can shoot well from the outside as well as on the block) but this team will only go as far as E-Man will take them. In order for ORU to have a successful season Nzekwesi needs to play like a POY candidate.

Below is a blurb from Lindy's preseason preview on Obanor:

Though he received the Summit League's Sixth-man award, Kevin Obanor started Oral Roberts' final seven games and racked up  double-doubles in five of them. He averaged 18.9 points and 9.7 rebounds in that stretch.

Just now, Old Titan said:

If ORU can just get ANY decent guard play this year (particularly on defense), those guys could BOTH have great years.

That's the big question... If Burns can help spell Sam, ease Abmas in, and RJ back I think ORU is definitely worthy of a top-3 preseason pick. Big if though.

• 2 weeks later...

Official Summit League Pre-Season polls:

• 2 weeks later...

TheEagleman won't believe it until confirmed by Shadrack and Obendego.....😎

Ken Pomeroy’s preseason ranking of all 353 D-1 teams is out, and he’s not as excited about ORU (or the Bison) as everyone else:

129.  South Dakota

165.  North Dakota State

170.  Omaha

194.  ORU

208.  South Dakota State

243.  Fort Wayne

264.  North Dakota

296.  Western Illinois

303.  Denver

ORU non-conference D-1 opponent rankings, per KenPom.

While he agrees with most that Iowa is a borderline Top-25 team, he also really likes Creighton and OSU. 

On the other end of the spectrum, he has Chicago State as arguably the worst team in all of D-1 basketball:

36.  Creighton

40.  Oklahoma State

41.  Iowa

62.  Wichita State

72.  BYU

100.  Tulsa

166.  Missouri St.

259.  Central Arkansas (exhibition)

282.  Houston Baptist

351.  Chicago St.

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Ken Pomeroy’s preseason ranking of all 353 D-1 teams is out, and he’s not as excited about ORU (or the Bison) as everyone else:

129.  South Dakota

165.  North Dakota State

170.  Omaha

194.  ORU

208.  South Dakota State

243.  Fort Wayne

264.  North Dakota

396.  Western Illinois

303.  Denver

Bart Torvik rankings for comparison:

Ken Pomeroy Bart Torvik
USD 129 137
NDSU 165 144
Omaha 170 268
ORU 194 180
SDSU 208 319
Ft. Wayne 243 292
UND 264 221
Denver 303 284
Western Illinois 396 253

• Like 1

CBS sports has ORU listed as 236 in their poll, behind Omaha and SDSU. They mention K.O. and Eman as being a solid 1-2 punch inside and nothing else about the team.

• Like 1