2019-20 Preseason Predictions (media)

Dr. Cornelius

15 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

CBS sports has ORU listed as 236 in their poll, behind Omaha and SDSU. They mention K.O. and Eman as being a solid 1-2 punch inside and nothing else about the team.

Take the "CBS Sports" qualifier with a grain of salt; this ranking of all D-1 teams is the opinion of just one fairly-young-and-often-goofy CBS basketball writer, Matt Norlander, but it's interesting enough to use for comparison with the other computer-and-analytics-driven preseason projections (must say I don't agree with him on much of this, for what that's worth).

47.  Wichita State

56.  Creighton

59.  Iowa

65.  Oklahoma State

66.  BYU

69.  Missouri State

117.  Tulsa

141.  North Dakota State

164.  South Dakota

185.  Omaha

219.  South Dakota State

236.  ORU

256.  Fort Wayne

269.  North Dakota

280.  Houston Baptist

285.  Denver

286.  Central Arkansas (exhibition)

306.  Western Illinois

346.  Chicago State

One-paragraph thumbnails on each team:  CBSSports.com Preseason Rankings for 2019-20

Wasn’t this the website that reputedly ranked ORU #2 in the league a couple of months ago?

Now, not so much (if ever)...

Hagedorn is a nice player, but not sure he can carry a team. 13 ppg and 6 rpg are good stats - but not eye popping. Teamed up with Umude, the Coyotes will be talented in the post. 

Yeah agree with you Old Titan. CBS is way off on the rankings. How can SDSU be that high when they lost 75 percent of their team.

It’s all an educated guess until we see the teams play a few (or more) games... Especially since there are new players to incorporate into lineups - and team chemistry to work out. 

46 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Hagedorn is a nice player, but not sure he can carry a team. 13 ppg and 6 rpg are good stats - but not eye popping. Teamed up with Umude, the Coyotes will be talented in the post. 

Hagendorn and other Summit League bigs will pose the biggest challenge this season.

Can Lufile or E-Man anchor the middle or will this team miss Kerwin more than we anticipated?

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Hagendorn and other Summit League bigs will pose the biggest challenge this season.

Can Lufile or E-Man anchor the middle or will this team miss Kerwin more than we anticipated?

It is just an educated guess from what I have heard that Lufile may be what is called an unexpected event or ( surprise.) We have a few additions that will also be a surprise including Burns, Jones, and Lazenby to go along with the returning starters last year who have had a full year to get better. We will know in a few days in Ft. Smith.  I am hoping the biggest surprise will be D.J. Weaver and a better defense. We do have a point guard  or two now on the roster. I see a 11-5 in the Summit 8 Wins in the Non Conference. We could go into the tournament with 19-20 wins. That's my prediction and I am sticking with it. 

Wow!...19-10 or 20-9 heading to Sioux Falls? TheEagleman is salivating at the thought of it...could that be possible?  🤑

23 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

I see a 11-5 in the Summit 8 Wins in the Non Conference. We could go into the tournament with 19-20 wins. That's my prediction and I am sticking with it. 

Somewhere between 3rd-to-5th in the league (with tiebreakers) and .500 in the regular season:  that's been MY prediction since the schedule came out, and I am sticking to IT, as well.

And, like I always say:  "Hope I'm wrong (but I'm afraid I'm right)".

This preseason profile on ORU from "BustingBrackets.com" is really impressive, if for no other reason than the depth and breadth of all the information:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/10/23/oral-roberts-basketball-2019-20-season-preview-golden-eagles/

I have no idea who Austin Hamm is, but he really did his homework on this one. 👍

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

This preseason profile on ORU from "BustingBrackets.com" is really impressive, if for no other reason than the depth and breadth of all the information:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/10/23/oral-roberts-basketball-2019-20-season-preview-golden-eagles/

I have no idea who Austin Hamm is, but he really did his homework on this one. 👍

Thanks Old Titan that was a good fine. The article listed defense and lack of size as ORU's big question marks. He also put K.O. at the five. According to the ORU website he put on 15 this summer to bulk up to 240. Maybe to prepare for the center spot.

• Upvote 1

Indeed that is a well written synopsis of the team heading into this season.  Thanks for the link.

5 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Indeed that is a well written synopsis of the team heading into this season.  Thanks for the link.

Great to see you and Terry at the ORU Courtside Countdown. What an excellent program and sorry I missed that 3 pointer. 

Good to meet you too ORU Grad.  I enjoyed the Countdown tonight.  The new scoreboard looks great and I did not study it in detail but I thought that Eli appeared to have an improved look to his costume as well.

19 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Good to meet you too ORU Grad.  I enjoyed the Countdown tonight.  The new scoreboard looks great and I did not study it in detail but I thought that Eli appeared to have an improved look to his costume as well.

His head was redone and looks more aggressive and less feminine. Not sure I’m a huge fan but it’s definitely better than the beauty queen version we had last year.