ORU's "Eli" Logo Listed Among 10 Worst?!?

Guest EagleBackr

A lot of people do think our logo is a chicken. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. We could be known as the school that is finger lickin' good.

The chicken would be good indeed... I believe the verse in Isaiah (upon which the name Golden Eagles was founded) actually does mean "chicken" in the hebrew. The name was somehow lost in translation.

That's hilarious. Someone should ask Dr. Vance. I bet he would know the literal translation.

I actually drew Chicago State's logo, left-handed, one day in class and faxed it to them. They paid me $50 for my trouble and there's a giant portrait of me on their campus now....sorry thats wrong.

The chicken would be good indeed... I believe the verse in Isaiah (upon which the name Golden Eagles was founded) actually does mean "chicken" in the hebrew. The name was somehow lost in translation.

being a hebrew scholar, i immediately knew that i needed to take this question up. the word used there (Is 40.31) is nesher. The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon, the standard in Biblical Hebrew Studies for over a century, lists 'griffon-vulture' as the primary translation and 'eagle' as the secondary...however, this is misleading: it appears 26 times in the OT, and only is correctly understood as a vulture 3 times.

More recently in OT study, Koehler & Baumgartner's Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament has become a standard accepted by the SBL (Society of Biblical Literature). They follow the BDB to an extent, listing 'eagle' as the primary translation and 'vulture' as the secondary.

Hope this helps! Oh, and if you want to check me on this, nun-shin-resh is the root under which this can be found (731 in the HALOT).

being a hebrew scholar, i immediately knew that i needed to take this question up. the word used there (Is 40.31) is nesher. The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon, the standard in Biblical Hebrew Studies for over a century, lists 'griffon-vulture' as the primary translation and 'eagle' as the secondary...however, this is misleading: it appears 26 times in the OT, and only is correctly understood as a vulture 3 times.

More recently in OT study, Koehler & Baumgartner's Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament has become a standard accepted by the SBL (Society of Biblical Literature). They follow the BDB to an extent, listing 'eagle' as the primary translation and 'vulture' as the secondary.

Hope this helps! Oh, and if you want to check me on this, nun-shin-resh is the root under which this can be found (731 in the HALOT).

Looks like 8EL3K6's education at ORU is starting to pay off, GO EAGLES!!!!

8EL3K6-

It's funny that you bring that up. I was also recently reading the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon, however, it was the updated edition. If you'll refer to page 284, paragraph 3, they state: "And it turns out we were wrong about that whole falcon and eagle thing- it actually means chicken!" I commend your efforts but I implore you to stay up with the latest information. Particularly when people globally are manipulating the scriptures to affirm their own bias (or humor), we must be able to defend with confidence the message we are putting forth.

I will go ahead and vouch for ItsChon. Without giving away his identity, he goes to ORU and is in the Maniacs. Everything he says is hilarious if you are looking for it -- he has a pretty high brow humor. Way to sniff that one out, Backr.

I disagree strongly JoeyO, ItsChon is in all actuality a mole just as Backr claimed. I know him personally, and know also that he would love nothing more than to try to steal all of our secrets and sell them to TU on the black market...don't be surprised at all if TU fans start calling our mascot a "chicken" as well...