Recruits....

ORUTerry

Coach Sutton said last night that we have a couple of recruits making campus visits this weekend. Those of you on campus keep a sharp lookout and report to us what you see.... hopefully one of them is 7'1" - and can walk & chew gum at the same time.

Hope Darrenj is correct and we can get a 6'7" wing and another post player to supplement our big guys.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• ORU Eli

• vcboy2000

• richieoru

Hope Darrenj is correct and we can get a 6'7" wing and another post player to supplement our big guys.

Totally agree! We need some real depth to play and beat top 50 & 100 teams in the NCAA!!

Only thing is...with the exception of Gaines, I don't think we have anybody on the current 06-07 roster who is a good candidate to red shirt next year. Add two more players in the mix and you have to either red shirt them or cut somebody else off the team I would think, so I don't really see how these last two recruits will be suiting up next year.

IMO, what we need now is a high school player who can step in and start after Caleb graduates. Granted, I seriously doubt we'll be able to get another PF that's as good as Caleb.

I think Marchello will really hafta step it up next year. Hopefully he can be a Rawle Marshall or Larry Owens - type player for us.

Hazell sounds like an Eric Fowlkes that can hit jumpers consistently, that would be huge for us.

I agree madadder, a replacement for Green is something to start thinking about now before he leaves. I have been impressed by Veally though when he gets into the game. And Sutton is getting more confidence in him, he played some good minutes toward the end of the season. He can work the post pretty well and shoots just as well. If we have a big man in there then Veally can get a smaller guy on him and he can really work the post. Very interested in our final 2 pickups for the year, and can't wait until the start of next year.

Guest darrenjj

Hopefully Vealy can grow into Caleb's spot and i cannot tell you how many people came away very impressed with ORU in the tourney. It will make a huge difference for the coaches out on the road recruiting.You never know how many spots you have until the end of the year with transfers and such. Hopefully it will be a great weekend for the Golden Eagles.

I think Vealy can be a Green-like player. His skills (and body) are a bit different. He showed some nice post moves at times - just needs to add some weight and muscle. Chello is a better face up shooter than what we have seen from Caleb.

Your comments about transfers, etc are interesting Darrenj.... I wonder what you know or have heard. There are rumors that Clint Stewart of Kansas State might want to come home. He played at a local high school (Union) and is a decent point guard. Wonder if he will want to play for Huggin if he gets the job at K-State?

You know, it's interesting that last year we made a run at Sam Mitchell (6'8" post player from Bartlesville, OK) in the Spring signing period. Our intent was to red-shirt him and saw him as a bit of a project. Mitchell is a nice role player who works hard and will provide quality minutes (rebounding/defense) for Tulsa, who he chose over ORU. The ironic thing is that this open scholarship allowed ORU to have room for Adam Liberty, who transferred from Wichita State where he started every game of his Sophomore season as point guard.

My point is, if we don't find quality player(s) for this Spring signing period, do we leave a scholarship open - just in case there is a transfer student available later?

I agree that Marchello will be handed a good opportunity to start and be a major factor next year.

However, I think back to earlier this year when he was in Scott's doghouse (apparently) and hardly played at all for several games.

I am certainly hoping that Marchello understands that he has a chance to not only be a starter for the next 3 years, but to be a major key to our success.

I just hope that the issues from earlier in the season are behind him, because when Marchello wasn't getting hardly any playing time, I was very nervous that he would transfer to another school.

Everytime I have seen Marchello play, I have been very impressed with his offensive abilities. Smooth is the word I like to use to describe him. I think his lack of playing time was often caused by his less impressive defense. Although, I think the coaches often had him guarding too large of a player. If he can bring his defense along, he will be a force.

07 recruiting...much word on caleb patterson out of ringling i think?

got a glimpse at the recruits... kelvin (green's cousin) was one of them and says its between houston and ORU but thoughts are that he's ready to get out of OK..other guy was a guard who i hear wasn't the most excited to be here...

I saw Kelvin play at Champions a couple of times last summer... he is an athletic and long (6'4"?) guard who displayed some nice moves. We have not had a 'tall' guard for quite a while. As I said in a previous post, I have heard that he is leaning against ORU because of not wanting to be in the shadow of his cousin - Caleb Green..... again. We shall see.

speaking of champions, I went there for the first time to watch ORU players play last summer and its really interesting and fun to get to see some of the ORU players playing there. Kind of like a sneak preview of the team and you get to check out the newer recruits. Are they doing the summer leagues at champions again like they did last year? If so I advise everyone to head out and check them out a couple times and see all the players its good times.

I suspect that the Champions league will be inplace again this summer. It usually does not start until sometime in June. It is a way for the players to get some scrimmage time in; not a lot of defense is played but it is fun to see the players - especially the new ones.