2019-2020 MBB Roster

74Titan

On 9/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, ORUJason said:

At this point, it appears that Coach Mills can recruit at a higher level than Scott and Sean Sutton were able to over their last 5 years at ORU. 

Fixed ^^^^

"were able to" implies there were mitigating factors (internal and/or external) that prevented them from doing so.

From everything I've heard during their last few years and since, the fault lay right at their own feet.

The credit for those stronger rosters in the "pre-Sean days" was simply due to the efforts of Tom Hankins, Cory Williams, and Chris Crutchfield.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Mills needs to develop a winning culture, where there has not been one. How does he do that is the big question. I guess that is why he makes the big bucks less than 90% of all D-1 college basketball head coaches. 😀

Fixed ^^^^

The big question is whether Mills turns out to be a bargain-basement steal, or simply a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for.

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The big question is whether Mills turns out to be a bargain-basement steal, or simply a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for.

I think we may find the answer to that this year. So far he has exceeded expectations in retaining players and recruiting. 

Keeping all pieces from last year is a HUGE step in the right direction. When was the last time we went through an off season without a devastating transfer? 

5 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

I think we may find the answer to that this year. So far he has exceeded expectations in retaining players and recruiting. 

Keeping all pieces from last year is a HUGE step in the right direction. When was the last time we went through an off season without a devastating transfer? 

On 4/28/2017 at 1:31 PM, Old Titan said:

Also hearing the money and length of contract is more in line with a lower-tier assistant at a Power 5 school:  three years, under $200K per.

But. you're a head coach at the D-1 level.

Can you say "stepping stone"?

According to the above quote I believe this year will not be a stepping stone but a year that is a make year for Coach Mills.  His record is 22-42 as he basically started from scratch when he took over. He was hired late after the season was over and had to scramble that first year. The second year he brought in a whole new team with 9 newcomers. This is his third year and the 2nd year with his players. That is huge for a coach. I do believe he will  exceed expectations this year and have a decent record. Remember, his team this year is set up with  four Seniors (two new transfers) and mostly sophomores. I think he will exceed expectations with a new contract at the end of the year. Looked back at records and Bill Self in four years was 55-54. As was said in above quote from EagleManiac "Keeping all pieces from last year is a HUGE step in the right direction." 

On 9/21/2019 at 5:35 AM, ORU GRAD said:
On 4/28/2017 at 1:31 PM, Old Titan said:

Also hearing the money and length of contract is more in line with a lower-tier assistant at a Power 5 school:  three years, under $200K per.

But. you're a head coach at the D-1 level.

Can you say "stepping stone"?

---

According to the above quote I believe this year will not be a stepping stone but a year that is a make year for Coach Mills.  His record is 22-42 as he basically started from scratch when he took over. He was hired late after the season was over and had to scramble that first year. The second year he brought in a whole new team with 9 newcomers. This is his third year and the 2nd year with his players. That is huge for a coach. I do believe he will  exceed expectations this year and have a decent record. Remember, his team this year is set up with  four Seniors (two new transfers) and mostly sophomores. I think he will exceed expectations with a new contract at the end of the year. Looked back at records and Bill Self in four years was 55-54. As was said in above quote from EagleManiac "Keeping all pieces from last year is a HUGE step in the right direction." 

That quote of mine re: Coach Mills' salary was from right after the hire was announced.  I based my numbers on details that I got from people surrounding two of the other candidates, based on what they were told the job paid.

We've since learned that Mills managed a FIVE-year deal, though I think that 200K salary estimate is not too far from the actual figure.

47 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

We've since learned that Mills managed a FIVE-year deal, though I think that 200K salary estimate is not too far from the actual figure.

Don't you pretty much have to offer 5 years for recruiting purposes?

Did someone mention Bill Self?....old Billy may get a new 5 year deal also....in Leavenworth......😬😎😬

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Don't you pretty much have to offer 5 years for recruiting purposes?

Not for a low-major program with multiple 20-loss seasons, recruiting against other low-major and D2/NAIA schools. 

Pleanty of other factors for a recruit to weigh before any negative recruiting based on the coach’s contract would ever enter the picture. 

On the first day of expanded practices, here's the latest (presumably final) roster update:

• No Milton
  • No walk-ons (??)
  • No surprises, really...except:  when is Ken Tutt's #1 going to be retired?

• 2 months later...

Just listened to the Coach's radio show and Mills said that they are redshirting Jurgens this year. So he will be a 22 year old sophomore next year. Somewhat surprising since he is a long way from home (Estonia) and would be in Tulsa for five years. Just hope he is in no rush to go back home but then Tulsa does sound better than Estonia. 😁

14 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just hope he is in no rush to go back home but then Tulsa does sound better than Estonia. 😁

Yeah, it just looks awful... 😉

869892214_Screenshot_2019-12-11VisitEstonia-OfficialtravelguidetoEstonia.thumb.png.1beb47e1b566ccfc42fe41eaa6d5ff7e.png

1117702618_Screenshot_2019-12-11ReasonstovisitEstonia.png.a9d1e7cd72d6fa3859d382161952d264.png

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah, it just looks awful... 😉

Spent a day in Tallinn a couple of years ago - and I would have NO issues returning!  Very nice place.