2019-2020 MBB Roster

74Titan

Jurgens is a good pick. He should be a better shooter this year. Last year he struggled shooting from almost everywhere: free throws, three pointers, and two pointers. Just hope he does not opt to play somewhere in Europe/ overseas for a paycheck.

19 hours ago, Old Titan said:

For ORU to overcome its obvious lack of size and depth along the front line...

Looking at Summit League incoming players and signings... ORU definitely needs to acquire some size in the post for upcoming seasons.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

Jurgens is a good pick. He should be a better shooter this year. Last year he struggled shooting from almost everywhere: free throws, three pointers, and two pointers. Just hope he does not opt to play somewhere in Europe/ overseas for a paycheck.

Saw him at the womens soccer game the other day so I doubt it.

If Jurgens has made it back from Europe, that makes at least 13 legitimate scholarship guys on the roster (assuming everyone is academically eligible), with only one obvious redshirt candidate (Milton).

That could prove to be a real problem when it comes to finding playing time and keeping guys happy throughout the year.

Not an enviable task for a first-time coach who must be desperate to win at any legitimate cost in his third season.

Do you simply ride the horses till they break down, or do you try to maintain harmony up and down the roster by playing as many guys as possible?

Only 9-10 guys will play each game unless it is a blowout (Iowa, OSU, or a non division one home game). Maybe coach should redshift two players this year and if injuries hit during the season then just bring one of them back from redshirt.

5 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Saw him on at the women's soccer game the other day so I doubt it.

That is great news with our four freshmen back from last year.I really liked what I saw early with Jurgens driving to the basket but then seem to just play cautious. He had spurts of a gamer. I am not sure who is not going to be on the roster or coming as a walk on. Maybe some insider can shed light on this? I have to think that with a coach saying we have four international players plus those we saw that were practicing this summer, we have only one unknown. We will have plenty of depth to the bench and I believe we will be playing 10 or 11 players. That could be good or bad  if they mess around with the chemistry.

• 3 weeks later...

The roster is posted on the ORU athletics website, I don’t see the incoming freshman guard Milton from Arkansas on the list...

58 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

I don’t see the incoming freshman guard Milton from Arkansas on the list...

Several possibilities:

• He changed his mind and went elsewhere.
  • ORU changed their mind and he went elsewhere.
  • He didn't qualify academically and he's enrolled at ORU, but not on athletic scholarship this year.
  • He didn't qualify academically and he's enrolled at a juco or prep school.
  • He didn't qualify academically and he's not enrolled anywhere.
  • He DID qualify academically, but as a likely redshirt and not enough schollies, he's at ORU on some other aid.
  • He didn't come to ORU due to personal reasons.

...plus about a half-dozen other reasons I can think of.  Time will tell!

Good to see they posted the roster. We have been waiting for that for quite some time. Here are a few points about it:

1. No one transferred, which we have not been able to say in the last few years. E-Man could have easily gone to a more high profile team.

2. Cannot remember an ORU team that has had this many guards (8) in forever. So the backcourt should be improved after enduring the last few years of young and inexperienced guard play.

3. Frontcourt is very talented but very thin in depth.  Lucile is a beast (275) and they will need him to play tough defense inside.

• Upvote 2

I noticed this about Canadian newcomer Elijah Lufile:

... Cousin, Moses Ehambe, played basketball at ORU (2004-08) ...

14 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

3. Frontcourt is very talented but very thin in depth.  Lucile is a beast (275) and they will need him to play tough defense inside.

I think Francis and Weaver will have to crash the boards more than last year.

23 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

2. Cannot remember an ORU team that has had this many guards (8) in forever. So the backcourt should be improved after enduring the last few years of young and inexperienced guard play.

now they just gotta stay healthy......knock on wood if you're with me

Other thoughts:

Good mixture of talent (Eman, K.O., and D.J), role players (Sam, R.J., Francis, and Saunders) and new guys (Lufile, Abrams, and Burns).

All things considered, it's an intriguing cast of characters. 

I can't recall the last time every player who could return from the previous season, did so.  Hats off to the coaching staff for keeping them all together.

The biggest challenges of this many potential contributors is finding the right combinations for particular situations, and keeping them all relatively happy (or simply not losing their faith) throughout the ups and downs of the season.

No easy task for a first-time head coach and staff still trying to find their way...

At this point, it appears that Coach Mills can recruit at a higher level than Scott and Sean Sutton were able to over their last 5 years at ORU.  It remains to be seen if Coach Mills and his staff can take the raw talent that it seems some of these freshmen/sophomores/transfers have and develop these players both offensively and defensively.

Based on the last 2 years of Coach Mills' tenure, it seems that he knows how to develop a decent team offense and cater it to the specific skills of his players.  However, his defensive schemes have so far had mixed results along the lines of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  One night the defense seems like it is coming together, and then the next game it seems that the defense completely falls apart.  Part of that may be the level of opponents that we play from one game to the next.

I really like Coach Mills, and I believe that if he can get this year's team to play solid defense consistently, we can move into the upper half of the Summit League and actually contend for a spot in the Summit League Tournament final game.  Once you make the conference final game, you have a shot to upset NDSU (depending on how the bracket falls) and snag an NCAA tournament berth, even if you end up in the play-in game.

I am cautiously optimistic about this year and expect that we will at least have more wins than either of the last 2 seasons.  Here's hoping for at least a winning record overall and getting back to winning the vast majority of our home conference games.  This team needs some success in order to gain some momentum to start increasing home attendance again and get back to the moderate level of success ORU basketball has historically had.

Remember that ORU is coming off a 11-21 season and most of the guys (minus Ty from OU) have not experienced any winning seasons. So yes Coach Mills needs to develop a winning culture, where there has not been one. How does he do that is the big question. I guess that is why he makes the big bucks😀