2019-2020 MBB Roster

74Titan

Simple question: Why is the 2019-20 MBB Roster not (yet) released? The women's roster has been "up" for a few weeks now. Even with any changes to the current roster I'm still curious as to why the posting differences, time wise.

I moved this to Men’s Basketball given the subject matter. 

In the past, I think the roster has been delayed until as late as the start of classes. Can someone confirm that?

Kaelen Malone's dad told me back in March that Kaelen had a lot of options this coming season, including petitioning for a sixth year of eligibility with ORU or another D1 school. 

I guess this tweet means that he's choosing the professional route:

Could be wrong but counted ORU as having 14 players on schlorship when you are only allowed 13.  Maybe one of the one new guys has to walk-on or go to junior college.  Not sure if that is part of the problem with the roster status.  Does anyone know about this?

I will not be convinced that the Euros are all returning until they're actually on campus in August (or maybe even September).

In addition, I will not be convinced that the new signees have qualified academically until they make an appearance in an actual game.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, titansforever said:

Never ceases to amaze me how some (many?) TU fans react to stuff like this.  As you can read yourself in the link below, they immediately go from loving the kid to questioning not only his character, but that of his father (Conley Phipps, former ORU assistant and current head coach of state-champion Booker T. Washington) and the entire Phipps family.

This from a program that thinks nothing of taking DaQuan Jeffries right out from under ORU, and that has FIVE transfers from other universities joining their roster this summer.

So, just to be clear:  in these fans' minds, it's perfectly fine for a kid to bolt his scholarship at another school to join TU, but a 17-year-old who has yet to play his senior year of high school should be damned for changing his mind re: a non-binding "commitment" to the Golden Hurricane?

Hypocritical much?

https://tulsa.forums.rivals.com/threads/trey-phipps-decommits.18085/

UPDATE:  Today, they've declared that Phipps and his backcourt mate at BTW Bryce Thompson are both highly overrated.  Thompson, by the way, is a 5-star Rivals prospect being recruited by the likes of Kansas and Kentucky.  But, since his dad Rod played at TU, many Golden Hurricane fans feel he has an obligation to play for them.  And since it appears highly likely that he won't, he therefore stinks.  Great logic!

The thing that cracks me up is that these bozos never consider the fact that OTHER prospects and/or recruits (and, more likely, their parents) may see this crap while doing their due diligence on the TU program.

If you were a player, would YOU want to play for fans like that?  If you were a parent of a prospect, would you want to sit in the stands and listen to these clowns?

No wonder TU can't seem to sign (particularly local) high school talent anymore!

Lol thanks for sharing. I love venturing over there to see what those guys are talking about. To their credit, several of their posters seemed to be pretty reasonable and understanding. But as a whole, they’ve got to be the most delusional and short-sighted fan base in the country. 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, Old Titan said:

Never ceases to amaze me how some (many?) TU fans react to stuff like this.  As you can read yourself in the link below, they immediately go from loving the kid to questioning not only his character, but that of his father (Conley Phipps, former ORU assistant and current head coach of state-champion Booker T. Washington) and the entire Phipps family.

This from a program that thinks nothing of taking DaQuan Jeffries right out from under ORU, and that has FIVE transfers from other universities joining their roster this summer.

So, just to be clear:  in these fans' minds, it's perfectly fine for a kid to bolt his scholarship at another school to join TU, but a 17-year-old who has yet to play his senior year of high school should be damned for changing his mind re: a non-binding "commitment" to the Golden Hurricane?

Hypocritical much?

https://tulsa.forums.rivals.com/threads/trey-phipps-decommits.18085/

UPDATE:  Today, they've declared that Phipps and his backcourt mate at BTW Bryce Thompson are both highly overrated.  Thompson, by the way, is a 5-star Rivals prospect being recruited by the likes of Kansas and Kentucky.  But, since his dad Rod played at TU, many Golden Hurricane fans feel he has an obligation to play for them.  And since it appears highly likely that he won't, he therefore stinks.  Great logic!

The thing that cracks me up is that these bozos never consider the fact that OTHER prospects and/or recruits (and, more likely, their parents) may see this crap while doing their due diligence on the TU program.

If you were a player, would YOU want to play for fans like that?  If you were a parent of a prospect, would you want to sit in the stands and listen to these clowns?

No wonder TU can't seem to sign (particularly local) high school talent anymore!

One guy on there is saying he should pay back $100K for his recruitment?  Does that make sense at all?? They are driving across town to see him play..

Also, taking shots at his family and saying he is overrated. Wow! Bryce Thompson was never going there and his dad was not taking a job there. If they do a package it is going to be at a major college program not Tulsa.

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

One guy on there is saying he should pay back $100K for his recruitment?  Does that make sense at all?? They are driving across town to see him play..

Also, taking shots at his family and saying he is overrated. Wow! Bryce Thompson was never going there and his dad was not taking a job there. If they do a package it is going to be at a major college program not Tulsa.

Yeah, I wondered about that $100K comment - what kind of restaurants are they taking their recruits to? LOL

This reminds me of how they felt like "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" (Rotnei Clarke) owed them something, simply because they wanted him so badly.

That's not how it works, people!

• 2 weeks later...

Monday was "Move-In Day" on campus, and last night there was a "Hype Night" pep rally, where the theme was "None Defeats the Gold and Blue":

...apparently, "none teaches grammar", either. #smh

Anyway, that means the roster is now on the clock.  Curious to see if Carlos Jurgens makes it back from Europe any time soon for his sophomore year, but it looks like there's already been a Francis Lacis sighting at last night's event (check the back-row photo bomb below with Sam Kearns).

• Haha 1

As we get ready for the roster to be revealed, just thinking of some players who should improve this year. The one who really comes to mind is DJ. He had a strong freshman year that was overlooked, 10 points, three rebounds, and led the team in blocked shots.  He has a lot talent that hopefully will continue to develop. Sports forum, who do you think will really improve from last year?

19 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

As we get ready for the roster to be revealed, just thinking of some players who should improve this year. The one who really comes to mind is DJ. He had a strong freshman year that was overlooked, 10 points, three rebounds, and led the team in blocked shots.  He has a lot talent that hopefully will continue to develop. Sports forum, who do you think will really improve from last year?

DJ had a successful freshman campaign but towards the end of the season you could see him get winded and he wasn't able to play as many minutes as Coach Mill probably would have wanted. If DJ can improve his endurance and develop a drive to the basket than he can be a real force in the Summit.

The other player I would mention is Francis. Francis was one of ORU's better wing defenders last season but also had to sit at times... he doesn't currently have DJ's moves to get open BUT he does have the quickness/potential. There were several times last season where he beat a single defender on the wing for a wide open dunk... just needs to keep improving.

• Like 1

For ORU to overcome its obvious lack of size and depth along the front line, DJ has to to make more of an effort to rebound on both ends.

There's no excuse for a guy of his stature and athleticism to only average 3 rebounds a game starting and playing that many minutes at the "3" spot, unless that guy is simply running up and down the sidelines and not mixing it up at all inside.

He should be averaging double that number per game (and he should be getting to the free throw line more in the process of doing so).

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

For ORU to overcome its obvious lack of size and depth along the front line, DJ has to to make more of an effort to rebound on both ends.

There's no excuse for a guy of his stature and athleticism to only average 3 rebounds a game starting and playing that many minutes at the "3" spot, unless that guy is simply running up and down the sidelines and not mixing it up at all inside.

He should be averaging double that number per game (and he should be getting to the free throw line more in the process of doing so).

I totally agree OT with your analysis. Looks can be deceiving but I think DJ has grown some. With DJ, Lacis, KO, and Eman in the lineup we should be plenty tall and athletic. Hopefully, a point guard will show up this year to bring about a solidifying effort.  I don't think the question will be talent but effort. Remember we also have Lufile at 6'8" to go with Kerns who is a leader. I believe we can compete along with a solid cast of players. I trust this team will be fun to watch. There I go drinking the Kool-Aid. Bring on the Roster. 

Towards the end of last season, I saw DJ really start to attack the basket a bit more. It wasn't always successful, but you could see the flashes of potential. He came to my mind first too.

After him, I think Jurgens has potential for a breakout season. I love his approach to the game, and I think as he adds some strength and continues to adjust to the speed of a D1 game, as well as adds some confidence, he could be really good