The 6th Man!

EasyTELGuy

All, I know is that I got light headed several times from yelling/whistling...

Isbig and I were as loud as we could be. It is much better now with the maniacs but as with many schools, the money buys the tickets and the money isn't young.

J through L do a good job of getting loud and standing up. We just ignore the people who tell us to sit down. I fugure we've gone to almost every game in the last 30 years and we'll still be there when they're gone. Most of the Golden Eagle Club Board sits in those sections.

I like the Spirit Sprint, but a lot of people just treat it like a 7th inning stretch.

Great point, mom. I was thinking the same thing Sat. night. We were down to just over two minutes, tight game, we all stand up for the Spirit Sprint, then as soon as Eli knocks over the megaphones, everybody sits down again. That's where the cheerleaders need to get involved and encourage people to stay on their feet. There was only two minutes left, for crying out loud.

I wonder if there isn't a need to reevaluate how the cheerleaders function during the games. They may need to have a little more ad-lib involvement in the flow of the games. Then again, NCAA regulations may limit what they can do during play. I would THINK that they could encourage people to stay on their feet and keep cheering after the Spirit Sprint in a game situation like we had on Saturday.

Amen on the comments re cheerleaders. The rhythm of the game, and thus the need for CHEERING can't be programmed. The new-and-better stunts are great. Just allow/encourage the kids to respond to the needs of the game. Mom... I couldn't hear anybody telling us to sit down cause we were screaming our guts out. Another point....Standing up is contagious!

t-bone

The fans have come a long way in the last 5 years. When we screamed our guts out 5 years ago there were only about 20 of us screaming.

They actually asked us to move closer to the bench BECAUSE we were making noise. Too bad they moved ORUTerry out BECAUSE he was too enthusiastic! And yes it is WAY better than it used to be. Cause for encouragement actually!

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I was just at Iowa's Carver-Hawkeye Arena and they have an elegant way to accommodate those who want to stand up AND those who don't.

Their fanatics all sit around one end of the arena, and behind them are several sections of seats with yellow tarps over them. They get to stand up, and the people sitting behind them aren't obstructed.

Everybody wins!

Comments?

Their fanatics all sit around one end of the arena, and behind them are several sections of seats with yellow tarps over them. They get to stand up, and the people sitting behind them aren't obstructed.

Everybody wins!

Comments?

Good idea! The thing is that the Golden Eagle Club pretty much reserved the rest of the Mabee Center on the side where the Maniacs are. Seems to me like staying close to the Maniacs in Section A (down near the court) or going to the opposite side of the court is the way to go at this point in the Mabee Center! JMO...

Good idea! The thing is that the Golden Eagle Club pretty much reserved the rest of the Mabee Center on the side where the Maniacs are. Seems to me like staying close to the Maniacs in Section A (down near the court) or going to the opposite side of the court is the way to go at this point in the Mabee Center! JMO...

In the interest of full disclosure, the people sitting in the stand-all-game sectionns were the student fans - sort of like the Vu Cru or the Maniacs. At least as far as I could tell, that was the case. I don't know that others couldn't have gone down and join them, of course, but those sections were pretty full.

They also have about 50 chairs for fans on the floor behind one basket, which may not be doable at the Mabee Center.

However, I'm not sure their capacity is that much more than the Mabee Center, so it seems like a comparable scenario.

By the way, the folks sitting all around me in the sitting-down section were still able make lots of noise. You don't absolutely have to stand up to root on your team :idea: :wink: