The 6th Man!

EasyTELGuy

Tonight I felt discouraged to be an ORU alum because of the lack of the 6th man element at ORU. When ORU is shooting bad in the first half...where is the crowd to stand up and create some energy through wild and craziness. Not until the team started stepping up and hitting shots in the 2nd half did any noise get going to introduce that 6th man!

As a big fan of our Golden Eagles, it's frustrating to not see that collective, "lets-get-up-and-yell-and-scream" type of mentality that good home teams get from their home crowd! Even during the close of regulation and OT tonight, where was the noise - where was the support for the team!!!

It was just disappointing, I tell ya'... if the crowd is in it earlier, we play a lot better is my hindsight comment for the night and we win by 7 or 8 tonight!

Okay...I feel better now! :-) I think we play well up in Alaska!

Not sure what can be done.... lots of blue hairs sitting (and I mean sitting) in the stands. That said, ORU was shooting the ball so poorly that the crowd was taken out of the game for a while.

I don't think anything can be done but ORU keep winning and winning and then you get fresh blood in that's more sports-fan oriented AND VOCAL ABOUT IT!! You hit it right on the head Terry...A lot of blue hairs in the stands! God bless 'em!!! Ugh!

As a big fan of our Golden Eagles, it's frustrating to not see that collective, "lets-get-up-and-yell-and-scream" type of mentality that good home teams get from their home crowd! Even during the close of regulation and OT tonight, where was the noise - where was the support for the team!!!

I agree!!! And it's great to have more fans that are willing to scream their guts out but if you've been following ORU since the Bill Self days or prior it's hard to call tonight's crowd dissapointing. The crowd was probably the only highlight for me!

Some people may disagree but I think the starting the Maniacs a couple years ago has really helped fans get louder.

Just try to cut in front of them at Luby's and watch-out.

I should tell you the story sometime of how I was asked to move my season tickets because me (and a friend who shall remain nameless) were considered too boisterous (loud) by the older people seated behind us. They also did not like that we stood up so much during the game.

Guest EagleBackr

I seriously don't know what you guys are talking about - I thought the crowd was great tonight. It would have been nice to see more of them, but the ones that were there were super and played a MAJOR role in shifting the momentum in the second half. But can't fault the crowd for the end result - the crowd didn't shoot 29% in the first half, foul out two starters on bogus calls, or miss those free throws down the stretch....

EasyTELGuy, I'd be curious to know where you sit. I sit in section H, and generally speaking that section, as well as the sections on either side of it, are pretty good to stand and cheer at the appropriate times. I do know what you mean, though, about the north side of Mabee. I'm not sure if I saw them standing at any point during the game. Maybe a little in the overtime.

The thing of it is, most schools who do not have huge student contingents at the games make the same complaints. Many in the crowd come for the entertainment value but aren't as "enthusiastic" as some of us are. Some have no doubt been more vocal in the past, but have moved past that stage of life. Quite a few, I believe, have been season ticket holders since Mabee Center opened, and I try to give them a pass.

Therefore it's left up to some of us to cheer extra for those that aren't. I Know that I try to do my part - to the embarrassment of my wife and family.

Guest Rob Marshall

Honestly, I thought the crowd was pretty darn good last night. Personally, I was feeling quite sick but that didn't stop me from making it to the game (as in threw up all night when I got home and NOT because we lost) and I STILL found myself on my feet a few times during the game at the appropriate moments. I honestly believe the crowd actuallly helped the team get back into the game last night and helped them have a chance to win the game, even with Green sitting basically the final fifteen minutes of the game (10 in regulation and then the overtime period).

Agreed, many times ORU has had a less than passionate crowd "cheering" on its team, but I think last night's crowd did a great job.

I too thought the crowd was good last night. JB worked hard to get the crowd into the game only putting himself into a trap at halfcourt 30 seconds later, had to call a time out and put the CROWD their back in seats.

I too thought the crowd was good last night. JB worked hard to get the crowd into the game only putting himself into a trap at halfcourt 30 seconds later, had to call a time out and put the CROWD their back in seats.

I believe that is when 75 percent of the crowd was standing and instead of keeping it going, the band played and the cheerleaders did a dance in the end zone for the timeout. Everyone sat down. The cheerleaders need to be able to "override" the plan in those cases and get out there and keep the crowd in the game!!!

I too thought the crowd was more of a plus than a minus. Nice when we can have 6000 in the arena and still wish it were better. I wish the cheerleaders/yell-leaders would do a little more during the strategic time-outs. Seems if it is not one of their pre-programmed routines, they only hang around the west end. There was enough evidence last night that the crowd would get noisy when led to do so. Me and mine were screaming our lungs out. Let's all agree we should strive to make home court a bigger advantage.

I was in section A. I know the crowd got into it in the 2nd half and really gave the Home Boys a push...my point is related to the fact that, ORU just doesn't get that yelling and screaming vocal support when the team is down! More winning = more fans and perhaps more yelling and screaming!! :)

Guest Rob Marshall

EasyTel, I understand what you're saying but frankly there weren't a lot of opportunities to "get up" in the first half. There just weren't many opportunities for the crowd to catch fire.

But if you're in section A, just go join the maniacs ... they were up and making noise for 45 minutes! 8)

Hats of to the Maniacs! Yes, they were making the noise! So, was I! :-)

I just was looking to my left...and NOBODY was on their feet! :cry:

in my oppinion, we have alot of basketball watchers, and a growing number of "fans". A few of us got in the game inour section, but most watched. I like that section over to the right from the eagles bench that stood the last 2 minutes. way to go. i might sit there next time.