NDSU at ORU

theeagleman5

ORU is in for some rough games until they get E-man back.  The offense has scored the lowest point total of the season in the last two games: 58 and 57.  Eman is the veteran all star and his injury is just too much for this young team to overcome.

• Upvote 1

KEY TO THE GAME/LOSS/ETC.

After ORU finally builds a lead of 5 points with 13:00 to go in the game, Mills inexplicably takes out ALL THREE leading scorers (Obanor, Weaver, and Kearns) and puts this line-up out on the floor: 

• Lacis

• Jurgens

• Malone

• Smith

• Saunders

Two minutes later, ORU trails by one, and a couple of minutes after that (with Ahmedic in for Smith), loses its final lead of two points.

I'm just wondering, exactly how did he expect that combination to score?

For that matter, how did he expect them to defend, either?

Look, you've got a short bench, you haven't played in a week, you don't play again for five days, and you have a wounded opponent on the ropes mid-way through the second half.

YOU DON'T GIVE ALL THE HOT HANDS A "REST" WHEN YOU'RE DESPERATE - YOU RIDE THEM INTO THE GROUND.

CLASSIC case of over-coaching...stopped his own team's momentum, and cost them a win.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ouch....very disappointing ORU loss tonight....thought we were getting better....but a clear regression tonight from the sounds of it......😕

well didn't expect that.  both schools get on sportscenter w the ndsu cam hunter dunk.

oru seems to lack that inside toughness that you always have.  

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

After ORU finally builds a lead of 5 points with 13:00 to go in the game, Mills inexplicably takes out ALL THREE leading scorers (Obanor, Weaver, and Kearns) and puts this line-up out on the floor: 

• Lacis

• Jurgens

• Malone

• Smith

• Saunders

Saunders and Malone being on the floor at the same time is just asking for trouble.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

This was really a game I thought ORU would win....now I’m worried that if they lose all four games of this home stand, missing the conference tourney may be a very real possibility....🤢

I think ORU will make the conference tournament... but it might be in the 8 spot.

8 hours ago, lakesbison said:

well didn't expect that.  both schools get on sportscenter w the ndsu cam hunter dunk.

oru seems to lack that inside toughness that you always have.  

The lakebison from NDSU was right on target. Nothing against Kevin and Kerwin but without E-man, ORU just lacks inside toughness.  Then ORU has to rely way too much on the guard play.

If ORU had a 5 point lead with 13 min to play and Coach Mills took out all 3 leading scorers....hummm…..sounds like Coach had $$$ on NDSU......😵

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

If ORU had a 5 point lead with 13 min to play and Coach Mills took out all 3 leading scorers....hummm…..sounds like Coach had $$$ on NDSU......😵

Coach Mills said in his post-game radio show he was just trying to give those three a little rest.

But, here's the thing:  the next media timeout hits at the first dead ball after the 12:00 mark, that would give the entire team a couple of minutes to catch their breath.  I'm guessing Coach knew that when he took them out, hoping to bridge the length of the timeout into their "rest time". 

Which would make sense, IF the circumstances weren't so dire, and the 5-point lead so tenuous. 

But, in this instance, don't you HAVE to leave those guys in the game until that media timeout, and take your chances that the timeout alone is enough to recharge their batteries, until both teams foul enough to hit the "bonus" and the game REALLY slows down (followed by the the 8:00 media timeout, then the 4:00 media timeout, etc.)?

Or, how about just calling your OWN timeout if you're that concerned those guys need a blow at that 13:00 mark?

Bottom line:  these are 18-to-21-year-olds who spent their entire amateur careers playing almost every minute of 2-to-3 games a day every summer weekend at "travel ball" tournaments, without the benefit of media timeouts, extended foul shooting rests, video reviews, professional trainers, etc.  They are currently in the best physical condition of their lives, coming off a week's rest since they last played an organized game. 

I think they're up to the challenge.  I bet they think they are, too.  You gotta leave them in the game in that situation, or at least stagger their substitutions.  You don't just yank all three at once, as if you're cruising along with a double-digit lead.

But, what's done is done; hopefully next time ORU is in a similar boat, we'll see a little more "situational awareness" where those guys stay in the game, followed by a fiery timeout speech urging everyone to suck it up down the stretch!

Without knowing the view form the bench, it's not my place to comment. One thing I can say is this: if you're not conditioned to go the whole game now, you won't be come tournament time, when you might have to.

• Like 1

ORU likely looking at a couple of home losses this week vs. IPFW and SDSU....TheEagleman can't see ORU hanging in there in either game unless E-Man makes a miraculous comeback.....but doubtful that sprained ankle will come around for at least another 10 days to 2 weeks....where is Oral when we REALLY need him???.....wasn't there a story about a player in the early 70s (Larry Baker?) spraining his ankle or knee during a game at the old HRC and limping off to the locker room late in the first half?....then OR goes in and prays and lays hands on the ankle and Baker miraculously comes back in the 2nd half to contribute to an ORU comeback win......at least that's the way TheEagleman heard it....maybe in 1971 or 1972.....or perhaps it's just an old fable.....👼

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Coach Mills said in his post-game radio show he was just trying to give those three a little rest.

But, here's the thing:  the next media timeout hits at the first dead ball after the 12:00 mark, that would give the entire team a couple of minutes to catch their breath.  I'm guessing Coach knew that when he took them out, hoping to bridge the length of the timeout into their "rest time". 

Which would make sense, IF the circumstances weren't so dire, and the 5-point lead so tenuous. 

But, in this instance, don't you HAVE to leave those guys in the game until that media timeout, and take your chances that the timeout alone is enough to recharge their batteries, until both teams foul enough to hit the "bonus" and the game REALLY slows down (followed by the the 8:00 media timeout, then the 4:00 media timeout, etc.)?

Or, how about just calling your OWN timeout if you're that concerned those guys need a blow at that 13:00 mark?

Bottom line:  these are 18-to-21-year-olds who spent their entire amateur careers playing almost every minute of 2-to-3 games a day every summer weekend at "travel ball" tournaments, without the benefit of media timeouts, extended foul shooting rests, video reviews, professional trainers, etc.  They are currently in the best physical condition of their lives, coming off a week's rest since they last played an organized game. 

I think they're up to the challenge.  I bet they think they are, too.  You gotta leave them in the game in that situation, or at least stagger their substitutions.  You don't just yank all three at once, as if you're cruising along with a double-digit lead.

But, what's done is done; hopefully next time ORU is in a similar boat, we'll see a little more "situational awareness" where those guys stay in the game, followed by a fiery timeout speech urging everyone to suck it up down the stretch!

100% agree.

• Like 1

One thing about summer leagues aau, etc is that they play no defense. Coaches insistence on defensive intensity could be wearing them out more than normal..,then again the had the whole week off...never mind. Just trying to play devil’s advocate. 

3 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

Any sighting of Milton on the bench?

Not that I noticed... but I am pretty sure D'Mauria Jones was at the end of the bench.

Someone told me that Milton is on campus and going to class.... have no idea why he’s not on the bench. 

14 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

One thing about summer leagues aau, etc is that they play no defense. Coaches insistence on defensive intensity could be wearing them out more than normal..,then again the had the whole week off...never mind. Just trying to play devil’s advocate. 

Agreed, but having both played and coached in those summer leagues, I can tell you (and I'm sure many of you can attest) that sprinting out on offense on EVERY POSSESSION (as opposed to walking the ball up) more than compensates for the lack of defense going the other way.  In fact, it explains the lack of defense!

Did I mention that a lot of those gyms aren't air-conditioned, either? (particularly if relegated to the loser's bracket and the always-dreadful "auxiliary gym" early on!).