ORU vs Avila (Homecoming)

ORUalum

RJ Fuqua will get a chance to do something his father never did....play against TU.....back in the early 70's they were afraid and refused to schedule us....it wasn't until 1975 that they finally gave in to the pressure....so let's beat them on Monday night....for Richard Fuqua.....:tb-blue:

Random observations:

* We have to remember that Avila is NAIA and not D-1 competition. But it’s always nice to win and this game allowed us to see the new players and different combinations   

* I think we played man to man defense the whole game - although one of my sons says we used a match up zone for several positions. I didn’t notice it. 

* Almost everyone got to play significant minutes. Ahmedic did not enter the game until the final minute. Harris was in a boot. Wonder how long he will be out. 

* The strength of this team is its front court. Glad to see Mills play EMan along with Owens and White/Miller in stretches. Will help our rebounding. 

* Fuqua surprised me with his court vision and passing. He played confident; has quick hands and good anticipation on defense. Don’t remember him taking a jump shot; all his points came from drives to the basket via steals, etc. He will have tougher & taller opponents in the future. Will be interesting to see him adapt. He was definitely a leader (verbal) on the court. 

* White is a very good leaper and rebounder. Miller has soft hands and surprisingly good footwork for someone of his build. EMan got in foul trouble and was a bit out of the flow of the game. Owens looked okay but missed several close shots; needs to pass out of the post when his shot is not there. 

* Kearns is a better shooter than he showed last night. I assume he (and others) had first game jitters. He’s a decent ball handler. Conley looked a bit tentative; might be his injury. Ruder looked okay and more comfortable than the other new guys - and should since he’s a senior. 

* Sutton got extensive playing time with EMan on the bench with foul problems. Okay player who does not force things. Manek also got decent playing time. Mills ran two plays to get him open at the top of the key - and he drained both 3-pointers. They also gave Miller the green light to shoot close jump shots. 

* Mills was pretty low key from the bench. He did not pull players after they made a mistake like Scott used to do. 

• Upvote 1

Love-love-love having RJ on the team! I always regretted arriving in 1973 and never getting to see Richard play. His son is the real deal, and I look forward to watching him become better and better with every game!

On 11/11/2017 at 12:24 PM, theeagleman5 said:

RJ Fuqua will get a chance to do something his father never did....play against TU.....back in the early 70's they were afraid and refused to schedule us....it wasn't until 1975 that they finally gave in to the pressure....so let's beat them on Monday night....for Richard Fuqua.....:tb-blue:

March 4th, 1974 - same season ORU went to the Elite Eight:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/first-tu-oru-basketball-game-was-a-win-for-the/article_71740d67-1880-5d3d-b011-85eb938478db.html

Sorry...I was a year off....TheEagleman was at that loss to TU in the old Tulsa Civic Center...it was a tough pill to swallow....ORU had the better team and we just played poorly that night...that Titan team should have gone to the Final Four....:|

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry...I was a year off....TheEagleman was at that loss to TU in the old Tulsa Civic Center...it was a tough pill to swallow....ORU had the better team and we just played poorly that night...that Titan team should have gone to the Final Four....:|

You're gonna love me for this:  that game was actually at the old Fairgrounds Pavilion, TU's home floor back then.  I was 11 years old and seated in a folding chair right behind the ORU bench; I remember TU fans hitting us in the back of the head  with crumpled paper cups and ice (no doubt intended for the ORU players), and my feet freezing all night from the hockey ice underneath the plywood "floor".

My overwhelming impression of the game at the time:  "Why do these people hate us so much??"

Here's the KTUL telecast video:

Yes OT....it was at The Fairgrounds Pavilion....I misspoke.....I was sitting on press row with a pass I got from The Oracle as a sports writer....ORU fans were given only a few tickets for that game and it was a very hostile atmosphere....I had written a story the week before the game criticising TU for not giving ORU students more tickets for this historic game but the article got pulled by Dean Hamilton who called me into his office to explain that it wasn't a good idea to cause trouble with our crosstown rival....I sat there and was polite but voiced by displeasure to the Dean but he told me nothing would change...I ended up taking a year away from the paper over it....I was that upset....I came back my Sr. Year....but yeah....that first TU game was a tough loss....I wanted ORU to really kick their butts....to this day I honestly still hold that grudge......:eagles:

Hey everyone! I missed this game unfortunately, but Ill be all in tonight! I was just wondering how the new schemes looked?

I saw Mills said he wants to press all game and play like the Warriors, but I cant imagine we really have the personnel for that. Did we actually press all game and play really fast? I was expecting the opposite with so much strength in the frontcourt.

7 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Hey everyone! I missed this game unfortunately, but Ill be all in tonight! I was just wondering how the new schemes looked?

I saw Mills said he wants to press all game and play like the Warriors, but I cant imagine we really have the personnel for that. Did we actually press all game and play really fast? I was expecting the opposite with so much strength in the frontcourt.

Pace of play was a little faster. Fuqua seemed to make a concerted effort to push the ball across half court pretty quick.

As for playing like the Warriors... no other team at any level of basketball can replicate anything close to that so unless we develop the best 3 shooters in the NCAA I doubt it. Like you mentioned, our strength is the front court - hopefully that can translate to open looks for the guards.

Seemed to me all the guards were pushing the ball up the court on makes and misses.  Mills obviously wants to get into early offense.  The bigs were running to the paint and posting up very early and it led to some easy baskets.

From the little of the game I saw (I was trying to watch on my phone) the guards were making a concerted effort to get the ball into the post. Also, the pace was faster than I remember them playing under Sutton. It just feels like coach Mills is really coaching to the strengths of the team, while also mixing in some creative wrinkles of his own. Hopefully, he'll be able to push EMan and Big Al to the next level. 

RJ Fuqua is the first true "look-to-pass", team-quarterback guard to start at the point for ORU since....(fill in the blank)