ORU vs Avila (Homecoming)

ORUalum

It's finally game week.  Great to read that ORU will be rocking throwbacks for Homecoming.

The Uni Watch college basketball preview

The team will also have new uniforms, but not until January. Also, ORU will likely wear a throwback uniform for its season opener. No photos yet, unfortunately.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21312534/every-color-patch-court-change-more-uni-watch-college-basketball-preview

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

It's finally game week.  Great to read that ORU will be rocking throwbacks for Homecoming.

Cool news on the uni's! I guess the throwback will have to hold us over until January.

Should we be offended that this guy doesn't know what conference ORU is in?

Unless he knows something we don't about moving to the Horizon, and/or Fort Wayne moving also.....:stuck-out-tongue:

• Upvote 1

I hate to admit it, but I thought Tulsa's new uni's looked good. 

Can't wait to see what Mills and company unveil in January, but the throwbacks better have the ORU w/flame logo!

Since throwbacks are in order....can we activate Richard Fuqua for a few games?...i'll bet he can still drain those 25 foot jumpers at 65 years old......:eagles:

So Avila U. comes into Mabee Center tomorrow night with a lusty 5-0 record....from what I see on their website they have been playing for two weeks now and winning even on the road Tuesday night at Oklahoma Wesleyan....they have some tall guys including a 6-8 dude who appears to be the 2nd coming of the Round Mound of Rebound at over 300 pounds.....TheEagleman is guessing that with this being our first game, it may be a bit closer than we may have thought when we first saw the game on the schedule.....but hopefully, this contest in front of a nice loud homecoming crowd will give the Golden Eagles a chance to work out the rough spots before heading over to TU and OSU next week....I have no idea what to expect in this first game but surely am expecting a victory....not sure if it will be by 10 or 40....probably closer to the former....let's call it  ORU 83 Avila 63....GO BLUE!!!...:eagles::tb-blue:

I noticed that Illinois lost an exhibition game to Eastern Illinois 67 to 80. Not a great start for Brad Underwood.

Auburn lost to D-2 Barry 95 to 100.

We have a new coach and lots of guys that haven't played together... They better be prepared and play hard.

Sounds like you are preparing us for a loss, Terry......:blink::-P:geek:

Not really - just being realistic. This team is a collection of new players that have not been able to work much with either of our point guards. They are still learning to play together so they could be rough around the edges. On top of that they have a new coach and system. As a consequence, they (players and coaches) need to expend their full effort.

I understand, Terry.....I would think Coach Mills will play this game to win since it's his first game plus the big Homecoming crowd and trying to build some confidence on the squad....so if we give it maximum effort and If ORU can't beat Avila by at least 20 or so then it's not good.....this is an NAIA opponent. I understand that teams like Auburn and others have lost to D-2 and D-3 schools in the past but they are usually substituting liberally and don't care about the W or L....in a game like this....Paul Mills cares.....:geek:

I heard Bill Haisten on the Sports Animal this morning and he said he has attended 2 of ORU's practices this week and he is impressed with ORU's personnel.  I am paraphrasing, but basically he said if ORU doesn't suffer key injuries, then they should be pretty decent/exceed expectations, etc., this year.

• Like 1

Well...here it is....Game Day....Opening Night....we have been waiting 7 months for this.....wonder what kind of crowd will be there on Homecoming Weekend?....should be a nice student turnout...hopefully.....:eagles:

ESPN has ORU with just an 87% chance of winning tonight  vs. this NAIA opponent......that's insulting......:blink:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Dominique Washington of Avila College:

Dom_Washington.jpg.cc38225fbbc9949c8cbd76a0db0b1367.jpg

When this guy has a big game, I mean to tell ya:  "HE HAS A BIG GAME!!"

Averaging a double-double, in points & rebounds AND post-game cheeseburgers.

Gives new meaning to the phrase "space eater".

...and, "feeding the post".

I'm not worried about him outplaying our postmen; I'm worried about him EATING THEM.

Etc. etc. etc.

Avila University comes into Mabee tonight sporting a 5-0 record.  Of course those are all NAIA wins.  Besides Goliath listed above who their website lists at 6'8"  with no weight given and goes as a forward, they have another guy at forward who is listed at 6'9".  Both are listed as being seniors on the team.

56 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

It's already been a good day.....

DOS-vuuV4AEt0wF.jpg

LOL - one of the more entertaining aspects of college basketball season is reading the game thread on the TU message board during a "guarantee game" in the non-conference schedule:

Pregame:  Unrealistic predictions, based on a combination of disdain for the opponent's capabilities and denial of their own team's shortcomings.  Every returnee & recruit is potentially all-conference.

First Media Timeout:  Utter shock that the opponent has the unmitigated gall to be competitive, that the returnees look just like they did last year, and the newcomers are not leading the statistical battle.

Last Media Timeout Before The Half:  Everything that's going wrong is the result of poor officiating.

Halftime:  Rallying of the fan base, with sure-fire second half solutions for whatever is ailing their beloved team.  Convinced that the first half is merely the result of nerves, and rust.

First Media Timeout of 2nd Half:  General angst as halftime adjustments are failing to result in desired outcome; first rumblings of needing a coaching change (because these new guys can't play a lick!).

2nd Half Midpoint:  Dissension among the ranks, as fans resort to a barrage of back-biting, name-calling and the like re: the strength of the team, the bona fides of the opponent, their mothers' chastity, etc.

Final Media Timeout:  If it wasn't the refs' fault in the first half, it DAMN sure is now! 

Postgame:  Of this much they are sure:  the returning players have not improved, the recruits are over-rated, the coach should be fired immediately, and oh, Lord - what if we lose to ORU again??

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1