ORU Midnight Madness

ORUTerry

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!.....guess we won't see that act again.....:rofl:......oh, TheEagleman LOVES that nasty looking Eagle in the ORU add....that's EXACTLY what we need!.....:oru-logo:

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I forgot about that video!!  What is the story behind that whole thing?

Good question. Found this from the Daily Caller via Yahoo. 

Students attending a special spirit day chapel service at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla. were left in shock after a bald eagle chose to fly straight into a soaring bank of windows instead of back to its trainer.

The bird hit the window head on, bounced off and promptly fell from the sky.

There were shrieks and laughs amid what seemed to be a generally hushed awe after the accident.

“Oh my God!” screamed a woman in the audience. “Don’t hit the window!”

“It was a bit shocking to see, but we’re thankful the eagle is okay,” university spokeswoman Carissa Bratschun told Tulsa World.

The plan was for the fowl to fly directly toward its trainer standing on the stage. Obviously, that didn’t happen. The eagle circumnavigated Christ Chapel instead.

“It had practiced five or six times,” Bratschun explained. “When the time came, we’re not sure what happened. It flew around the room and then hit a window.”

There does appear to be a happy ending to the accident. After the mishap, the  trainer convinced the eagle onto his arm and then walked to the stage.

The spirit day chapel service was part of a orientation at Oral Roberts, a decidedly Pentecostal Christian school founded by — and named after — evangelist Oral Roberts.

Both the bald eagle and a golden eagle were part of the service.

The sports teams at Oral Roberts are called the Golden Eagles.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bald-eagle-smacks-window-oral-roberts-university-orientation-150222362.html

So with the scrimmage tomorrow not taking place in the Mabee Cente because of "work being done"....is it crazy of me to think that the "work being done" may just be a new court being installed with new logos?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Not crazy.  That is my understanding.. new logos being installed.

Yes! Christmas has come early...new logo means new Nike gear!

I really hope they keep the ORU logo, I like that way more than Foghorn Leghorn

I doubt they would actually change the look of Eli mid-year.  The media guide has already been issued with Foghorn Leghorn as the mascot.  IF they are removing Eli from the Mabee Center floor, I'd bet it's replaced with a tasteful arched ORU.

The counter argument to all of our speculation is of course that they just resurfaced the floor this summer as was mentioned earlier in this thread.  If they were going to remove Eli, wouldn't they have done it then?

22 hours ago, ORUalum said:

I doubt they would actually change the look of Eli mid-year.  The media guide has already been issued with Foghorn Leghorn as the mascot.  IF they are removing Eli from the Mabee Center floor, I'd bet it's replaced with a tasteful arched ORU.

The counter argument to all of our speculation is of course that they just resurfaced the floor this summer as was mentioned earlier in this thread.  If they were going to remove Eli, wouldn't they have done it then?

I'm of two minds on this. On one hand, why would you tweet "it's coming. see it first..." if you were just changing the midcourt logo to the ORU arch? That seems like a great way to ensure a letdown. On the other, when you go through the process the right way,  changing a logo like this is typically a 10-12 month endeavor (maybe for a school the size of ORU 6-8 months). Because Eli is still being utilized in promotional graphics and in the media guide, I doubt that kind of process has been underway. 

Maybe there's some sort of structural change, like a new video screen or the seats getting reupholstered (excitement anyone??) but both of those seem equally unlikely to me. 

So I heard a rumor a while back that there were going to be changes made to the mascot. (I didn't think much of it at the time because I figured the university would release something) The story I heard is that the Golden Eagle will stay but there will be changes and updates made to make it look more fierce and less like a chicken. With all of the changes made in the last 6 months, it seems like a great time to roll this out but after reading everything above I'm not sure I believe it. I hope it's true, the mascot situation needs help!

3 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

How do we not have one leaker on this entire board? 

Just thankful I haven't quite reached the age where that question takes on a whole new meaning... :rain::-(

• Upvote 2