ORU Midnight Madness

ORUTerry

"It's coming..."

:folded-hands-2:please tell me they are ditching the cartoon chicken and re-branding with a tougher looking eagle:folded-hands-2:

Foghorn-Leghorn-the-looney-tunes-show-23

• Like 1

IT'S ABOUT TIME......:oru-logo:

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

IT'S ABOUT TIME......:oru-logo:

My post was not a statement of fact......rather a prayer

If they ever made that announcement, I would show up the next day at the Mabee Center with an industrial strength sander to get that hideous bird off center court!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ORUalum said:

"It's coming..."

:folded-hands-2:please tell me they are ditching the cartoon chicken and re-branding with a tougher looking eagle:folded-hands-2:

Foghorn-Leghorn-the-looney-tunes-show-23

You asked for it:  a tougher-looking bird!

81DF6128-E091-414A-8A73-BF9615F97F22.png

• Like 1

Gadzooks!...TheEagleman is very disappointed that Eli isn't on the way out.....that Foghorn Leghorn clone needs to go.....:geek:

I'd love for the eagle embarrassment to be retired but there's no way that would have stayed a secret right? Surely we would have heard rumors. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

You asked for it:  a tougher-looking bird!

81DF6128-E091-414A-8A73-BF9615F97F22.png

haha...that's probably what we'd get if they actually changed it.

I guess the most likely answer to the tweet will be a re-naming of the ever dwindling student section.

21 hours ago, ORUalum said:

My post was not a statement of fact......rather a prayer

If they ever made that announcement, I would show up the next day at the Mabee Center with an industrial strength sander to get that hideous bird off center court!

I remember seeing a twitter post awhile back with the Mabee Center floor getting a new coating, and Foghorn Leghorn was obviously still there. If there were a new logo coming, logistically, could you install a brand new floor in time for the season? I don't know, maybe it's all part of keeping the change under wraps....

55 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

I remember seeing a twitter post awhile back with the Mabee Center floor getting a new coating, and Foghorn Leghorn was obviously still there. If there were a new logo coming, logistically, could you install a brand new floor in time for the season? I don't know, maybe it's all part of keeping the change under wraps....

I thought when the floor was redone in 2011 it took a few weeks.

Eli has been the ORU mascot for what.....15-20 years now?....it's time to move on and get rid of that damn ugly bird....frankly, this mascot is an embarrassment....let's get a more modern nasty looking Eagle....not evil....just tougher.....come on guys....I think the administration would have to react if the Alums start stirring the pot.....:eagles:

I will say this:  that's a cool-looking golden eagle in that Twitter post.  Magnificent (and huge) birds.

Back in the day ("geez - here he goes AGAIN...") I did a little research into the logistics behind having a live golden eagle at the games, ala Auburn or Southern Mississippi.  I thought it would be awesome during the pre-game activities to have a golden eagle soaring down from the rafters and landing on Eli's arm at half court, and I hoped that with the Sutton (no relation) Aviary Rehabilitation Center just up the road in Bartlesville, we might be able to enlist the services of a golden eagle that had been injured and was unable to return to the wild.

Not so easy:  the federal laws regarding the handling, transportation, exploitation, etc. of bald and golden eagles makes the tax code look like a children's book.  Plus, it just stands to reason that any golden eagle healthy enough to fly around the arena is also healthy enough to return to the wild, which is the center's reason for existence.  The best thing they said they might be able to do was have a rehabbing golden eagle, with a handler and a perch, stationed somewhere in the arena before and/or during the game, but even with that, they seemed very concerned about random basketballs, pokey kids, etc. around their not-really-tame bird.  I can only imagine the liability issues that the risk-management folks for ORU and the Mabee Center would dream up in considering this proposal.  And of course, this would all have to come with a substantial donation to the Sutton facility (which I had hoped might be covered by a sponsor or two).

Wondering how ANY school could pull this off, much less a cash-strapped bible college, I called Auburn to find out just how they manage to have a majestic golden eagle flying around Jordan-Hare Stadium at every home game.  As you might imagine from an SEC school, I learned they circumvented many of the aforementioned issues by forming the "Southeastern Raptor Center", their own federally-sanctioned golden eagle research-and-rehab facility right on campus, just so they could have access to golden eagles.  "War Eagle", indeed!  But, even with that, they've been forced to "ground" their 18-year-old golden eagle "Nova" this season due to medical issues, and are using a bald eagle as a stand-in.

I still think it would be cool if this could somehow be done at ORU games - if anyone has any ideas on the topic, would love to hear them...