How to beat Memphis, and a run down

dougmat

Hi Eagles. I hope OK is good (or is it well?) this morning.

I used to play ORU in rugby when I went to Southwest Mo St years ago and always enjoyed your determination. Safe travels to Dallas if you go.

Anyway, I've been at Memphis for 7 years now and thought I'd give you a rundown of the team.

Your best chance to beat Memphis for Memphis to come out tight and settle for taking multi, early 3's from the line. At times the team has done this and if we are tight and not on, we can get into trouble. The drawback to this is it usually happens in the first half and doesn't last an entire game. As a run down, here are our players

1. Darius Washington, fast with the ball, good outside shot, very agressive. Not a true point guard in that he does turn it over but also will go to the rim alot and if you don't guard him one he crosses the half court he will make you pay with a 2 and 1 or personnel foul.

2. Andre Allen, fast fast fast with the ball. backup point guard, plays about 15 to 17 min a game. think true point guard. at times we play with allen and washington in the game at the same time at which time trapping us is a non issue.

3. rodney carney. when you watch him dunk your faith in God will be reenforced, only a miricle lets him jump so high so fast. Great at the rim, solid 3 pt shot, lock down defender.

4. Shawn Williams, young, a freshman, a little streaky. Regaining his outside shot, solid with his back to the basket. runs the floor well. in the last 10 minutes him and washington run the pick and roll to perfection.

5. Joey Dorsey...at times plays lazy, recently playing like a monster. nees to learn to move his feet, can get in foul trouble. Very strong, rebounds well. when he is on Memphis is almost impossible to beat.

6. K. Cooper. Big, Big Big body, soft hands, nice baby hook. Learning to run the floor. Good back up to Dorsey.

7. Antonio Anderson, great 2 man, good slasher solid defender.

8. Chris Douglas Roberts. Probably the second best freshman on the team. Solid defender, great to the rim, plays with confidence.

9. Waki Williams, 6'9, will get about 5 minutes per game.

10 Robert Dozier. 6'8, great with the ball, good rebounder decent 15' shot.

we play 10 deep. most teams fade with about 8 minutes to go.

we play fast, man to man, full court press, occasionally you see a zone.

I know. I'm just hoping that Sutton knows enough about Memphis to have been able to have written this.

Thank you for the added perspective.

Last night on the Coaches Show broadcast, it was mentioned that our coaches started watching tapes right after the bracket was announced. Sutton & Company know!

They also said we had over 1000 tickets requested from our athletic dept.

one broadcast suggested that ORU will have over 2000 fans in attendance Friday. If we make it to Sunday, I have a feeling we will have even more!

(That doesn't count the Arkansas fans that just hate Memphis)

Actually, it is not hard to come up with a plan to beat Memphis. In our losses, the only team that stayed man-to-man with us to the end was Duke and it was either way down to the end. Th other two losses and the games where we have stuggled, the strategy has been exactly the same. These teams pack in the zone and dare us to beat them from outside. Our guys love to dribble drive and we do not have a big man that we can throm the ball to over the zone. If we are hitting the 3-ball, there is not a team in the country that can beat us. If we are struggling from outside and the other team is packing in the zone, then we struggle.

I expect to see us use a zone, but not the majority of the game.... it will depend on how we look in a zone and how effective it is against the Tigers. I know that our coaches have a strategy and plan for the players to execute. I wonder if we have had any input from any family members? I sispect that we have.

I expect to see us use a zone, but not the majority of the game.... it will depend on how we look in a zone and how effective it is against the Tigers. I know that our coaches have a strategy and plan for the players to execute. I wonder if we have had any input from any family members? I sispect that we have.

I will be shocked if ORU does not play us 90% zone. There have been a lot of teams(Tennesse, Houston, UAB) that take pride in their man-to-man defense and said they would never play us zone but all of these quickly switched to zone soon after tip-off. Our strength is our quickness, length and ability to get to the rim. Our weakness is being patient and going through cold spells from 3-pt land. If ORU plays majority man-to-man, then you have the most athletic, quickest team in the nation.

I will be shocked if ORU does not play us 90% zone. There have been a lot of teams(Tennesse, Houston, UAB) that take pride in their man-to-man defense and said they would never play us zone but all of these quickly switched to zone soon after tip-off. Our strength is our quickness, length and ability to get to the rim. Our weakness is being patient and going through cold spells from 3-pt land. If ORU plays majority man-to-man, then you have the most athletic, quickest team in the nation.

If we play man more than a few possessions, it could get ugly...

For OKC Eagle & those just wanting to learn more, historically we have used man to man. This attachment will explain why & what it is:

Our man-to-man defensive strategy is simple... We want to build a human wall around our basket, and then force the offense to take contested, outside of the paint, jump shots. (sounds like Memphis' weakness) make them live or die by the 3.

http://coachlikeapro.tripod.com/basketball/id8.html

For OKC Eagle & those just wanting to learn more, historically we have used man to man. This attachment will explain why & what it is:

Our man-to-man defensive strategy is simple... We want to build a human wall around our basket, and then force the offense to take contested, outside of the paint, jump shots. (sounds like Memphis' weakness) make them live or die by the 3.

http://coachlikeapro.tripod.com/basketball/id8.html

That's a great defense unless two things happen:

1.) the other team is quicker than your players and can take you off the dribble.

2.) the other team is taller and can shoot over your players or post them up.

Not being arrogant, but the above two reasons are why there are very, very few teams that can play man-to-man against Memphis. Also, most teams find that they have to play us zone to keep us off the offensive boards. We usually dominate the offensive boards when a smaller team tries to go man-to-man on us.

I hate zone defense. I think real men play man to man, but to have Mickey out there we would have to play a zone just because he is slow. This is one game where we are going to have to spend most of the game in a zone.

The only time that we could use man defense is if we had an athletic lineup that included Marchello, Larry, and Yemi. Otherwise the zone is the way to go for this game.

That's true. Hopefully this week in practice we worked out our responsibilities on defense, I'm sure the coaching staff has done all they can. Probably tried to tailor our zone and man to stop Memphis. Maybe throw in a little half court trap.

I think the main reason that we have never played much zone until now is that Valpo Rick called the league office, complaining that it would be unfair and immoral if we played a zone. Scott, wanting to be a good christian, agreed to only play man defense. Perhaps we could get a special dispensation from Rick to play a zone against Memphis. Of course, we'll have to find it on the Valpo board since he can't post here.