Paul Mills Named Head Basketball Coach

Old Titan

BTW, Dr. C is spot on.  Implied in Haiston's article is that we have no talent currently on the team.  I personally will take great satisfaction at the end of next season when these same kids win way more than 6 games against D-I teams and actually make it to the Summit Tourney.

• Upvote 1

And finally, I am not sure how "it makes it difficult - if not impossible" for Scott Sutton.  He is getting $900k+ for doing nothing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Haisten's article proves he is nothing more than a schill for the Sutton family.  The sad fact is that we were a train wreck that happened over the past several years.  Attendance tanked, our record tanked, players and coaches left like those trying to get off the Titanic, we almost had an open revolt amongst the players mid season, we continually blew halftime leads, did not make the post season Summit League Tourney, and the list goes on.  The truth is it was probably long past when a change should have been made.  Thank God we finally did act.  As for the lie about only recruiting Christians, that certainly has not affected our baseball team which continually gets it done on a lot smaller budget.

Open revolt? Where did you pull that from?

On 4/18/2017 at 11:08 AM, Old Titan said:

Footnote:  a good friend of mine who's son is an ORU student who hangs with several of the players tells me they are excited about the structure and policies a new coach will hopefully bring.  Said there were "different rules for different players" under the previous staff, and things got so bad at one point last season that the team held a players-only meeting and voted to have one guy kicked off the team, but the coaches would not follow through with it (that player is no longer on the roster now).

Heard the new coach's speech to the players.

Sounds like a good guy.

Ok," let's do it!" 

as he said!

TheEagleman loves Scott Sutton and he will land on his feet somewhere. A year off and $900k won't hurt him. Sean didn't do much and a change as long overdue....the Tulsa sports media is a joke for the most part....ignore them. ORU needed a new direction and Coach Mills sounds like a good man and he deserves our support.:tb-blue:

this facebook clip has an extra minute and a half than what was posted on twitter a couple days ago...

like others said above, if he wins w/Sutton players, i wonder what the excuses will be from "pistols firing" OK sports media.

• Upvote 2

How can you not be fired up from that!

get the t shirts printed.....

"If we're gonna do it, let's do it right!"

Not bad....But TheEagleman prefers...."ROW THE BOAT!!!".....:geek:

Press conference at 2pm

OralRobertsU w/the strong Twitter game....

twitter.png.3d6a2c4f20858bdd53445d46332dcdc0.png

13 hours ago, ORUalum said:

this facebook clip has an extra minute and a half than what was posted on twitter a couple days ago...

like others said above, if he wins w/Sutton players, i wonder what the excuses will be from "pistols firing" OK sports media.

It sounded to me like Haisten asked the question in his last article that OSU media types will be using as an excuse either way:

"The most prominent of all questions: Will the university make it easier for Mills to recruit than it was for Sutton the last three years? Will Mills be allowed to sign athletes who aren’t already professed Christians, with a history of church attendance?"

If we win- "Well, sure they can win now without all of those restrictions set by the administration".

If we don't win- "SMH, look at the ORU administration holding down another coaching staff, just like they did the poor Suttons".

John Hoover's takeaway.........predictable...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

John Hoover's takeaway.........predictable...

That could be the dumbest complaint I've ever seen.

Maybe Hoover could next request for Mills to get off his lawn?

Or maybe he just prefers his ORU coaches to "dab" (a pot reference if you "Google it") after beating TU rather than quoting song lyrics?

• Upvote 1

Basically, the Tulsa World writers, and local Sports Talk guys, know ORU made a great hire and they can't stand it. So, they're making up stuff to complain about. 

Also, if Mills is getting a Baylor assistant to join him, that bodes well for us. That, combined with Perry staying on, means we could have a really good staff next season.

• Upvote 3

I saw Haisten at the event. He had Coach Mills cornered for a long time. 

Coach Mills spoke for just a few minutes. Specifically thanked Rodney Perry & Steve Upshaw. (Wilson also thanked Perry and mentioned the great job he had done in the interim.) Mills also mentioned speaking with Richard Fuqua who was in attendance - as well as inferring that he has reached out to other former players. 

The players were sitting in the front row. Seven existing scholarship players plus Spencer Sutton. RJ Smith was not in attendance. 

• Upvote 2