Paul Mills Named Head Basketball Coach

Old Titan

26 minutes ago, titansforever said:

The big question now is, what will our non-conference schedule look like? (I know -- that's being discussed on another thread.)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/oru/new-oru-coach-paul-mills-we-are-going-to-put/article_8165a73e-00a2-51e7-90e1-4c2f35529b45.html

Mills inherits a schedule that includes nonconference games at Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Penn State and Tulsa and a roster that will have some turnover after five players concluded their careers last season and another transferred. The remaining scholarship players met several times in recent weeks and chose to stay at ORU.

Looks like the majority of the schedule was already completed before any of this happened.

I saw that. But knowing that we usually don't see a complete schedule until around September, I thought there might be a lot more games to schedule--just wondering how it'll all shape up. Maybe we'll start seeing a final schedule earlier than usual, going forward with our new coach?

I assume Oakland may be in the Mabee since we went there last year, along with our friends from Springfield, Missouri State.  It may also mean road trips to UALR and Richmond.  Of course all of this depends on if we had each of these teams in a home/away deal.  The home run would be Baylor in the Mabee.

Kelly Hines from the Tulsa World tweeted yesterday that Mills will be bringing a Baylor assistant with him. Any updates on that?

28 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

Kelly Hines from the Tulsa World tweeted yesterday that Mills will be bringing a Baylor assistant with him. Any updates on that?

i put the chances that either of Drew's top 2 assistants would follow Mills to ORU at 0.0%

reading the twitter tea leaves on the rest of the staff.........tweets or retweets about Mills/ORU since announcement:

• Maloney (basketball ops) - 1
  • Nuness (player development) - 0 --- played for Drew at Valpo
  • Patterson (video ops / scheduling) - 4

I'm hoping Bryce will give us a chance to play at Vanderbilt...

Bring Back the Flame!

Rob

We will play tough basketball. We will play fast basketball.  The team liked that and then I told them how hard we are going to work to get conditioned to play that way. The 30 second shot clock will not be going off a whole lot. We will play united as a team. 

--- Coach Mills to Adam Hildebrandt in the baseball broadcast

• Upvote 4

Two hires for Coach Mills:

• Talvin Hester -- University of Houston
  • Sam Patterson -- Baylor

Listened to the show. He is well spoken and smooth.

• Asked about what coaching tree he comes from. Said Scott/Homer Drew. Also said that Rick Majerus had a big impact on him. Was the smartest coach he has ever been around.
  • Asked about recruiting areas; Said the focus would be on Tulsa/Oklahoma and then Texas & Louisiana.
  • He was asked about international recruiting - I guess since Drew has done that at Valpo/Baylor. Said he has traveled to Europe to scout players; knows guys (former players now with the NBA as scouts) with contacts. He was contacted by one asking what kind of players he needs.
  • Said that ORU players can have tattoos. Specifically mentioned Harris. Said that the administration instituted that policy for about a 3 week period in the past and it was quickly rescinded.
  • Said he called Sean and Scott after he got the job. Respects them and what they did at ORU. Told Sean that Spencer is still a part of the team and he will treated just like the other players. Said Sean was very gracious and gave him some advice. Knows that Scott wants what is best for the players because he cares for them. Wants ORU to succeed.
  • Upvote 2

The Hoover interview was garbage -- 20 minutes about rap lyrics and scandals at Baylor.

The interview w/97.1 was much more informative and ORU focused.

• Upvote 1

That's why I didn't listen to it. How did Mills handle it?

11 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

That's why I didn't listen to it. How did Mills handle it?

It was the first thing Hoover brought up.  Mills said something like "they warned me you had an issue with that."  (I'm guessing Blake Freeland saw Hoover's twitter timeline and warned him)

He then went on and explained that during shoot around before practice the players at Baylor get to pick the music and Drew made them play the radio versions not the explicit versions and that was the version he knew.

After another 10 minutes of Kim Mulkey and Art Briles; Hoover ended the interview with "sorry we did not get to talk about ORU more."