Paul Mills Named Head Basketball Coach

Old Titan

Good to see you there Terry. I look forward to who Mills  chooses as an Assistant from Baylor. Player Development ? We could use that area.  "Time will Tell"

If Mike Brown is still at the Tulsa World, they should have him handle the ORU related content.  He has historically been very fair and respectful to ORU.  

I am honestly a little surprised by John Hoover's continued negativity toward ORU shown in his response to this hire.  The newspaper industry is dying and they need every reader and subscriber they can get.  There are tens of thousands of people in Tulsa that have a significant connection to ORU and it is unwise to alienate these potential readers unnecessarily.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUJason said:

I am honestly a little surprised by John Hoover's continued negativity toward ORU shown in his response to this hire.  The newspaper industry is dying and they need every reader and subscriber they can get.  There are tens of thousands of people in Tulsa that have a significant connection to ORU and it is unwise to alienate these potential readers unnecessarily.  

Hoover is no longer w/the Tulsa World, but I get your point.  Check out his tweets and retweets about the press conference today; he's not even attempting to be objective. 

This story has been a twofer for the OK sports media -- get to bash ORU and defend the Suttons in the same story.  The continued spread of falsehoods has been staggering for a bunch of "journalists."  Haisten went on North Dakota radio and pronounced that ORU was all but dropping D1 and would soon be playing D3 or NAIA ball.  Radio hack Pat Jones said that ORU had no business trying to play D1, should drop athletics all together, and just go with intramurals.  It was all hands on deck to defend the Suttons to include misrepresenting ORU's recruiting policies and viability in D1 athletics.

ORU won before the Suttons and they will win after the Suttons.  That 7th D1 win next year will be sweet when the media is forced to face the reality that the Suttons under performed the last few years with the talent they had.  Scott Sutton did a lot of great things for ORU, it is a shame the way it ended and Wilson/Carter are responsible for some of the blame in how it was handled.

In another week or two -- Hoover, Haisten, Pat Jones, Traber, Holcomb, etc. will all go back to ignoring ORU.

Lastly, ORU basketball is in a better place than it was on April 9th and I have hope that this thing will get turned around.:tb-white:

• Upvote 3

Is there any way to watch the entire press conference from today? I looked on the athletics website, but didn't see it....

New ORU coach Paul Mills: 'We are going to put a good product on the court

Regarding ORU’s recruiting policies, Mills said: “That’s not a big deal to me because we did that at Baylor. We wanted to know if it was something that fit.”

“If you were going to a dance school, you’d want to know if (a recruit) had an interest in dance. If you were going to an art school, you’d want to know if they had interest in art. You are having interest in a Christian school. Are you knowledgeable of Christ?”

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I saw Haisten at the event. He had Coach Mills cornered for a long time. 

Coach Mills spoke for just a few minutes. Specifically thanked Rodney Perry & Steve Upshaw. (Wilson also thanked Perry and mentioned the great job he had done in the interim.) Mills also mentioned speaking with Richard Fuqua who was in attendance - as well as inferring that he has reached out to other former players. 

The players were sitting in the front row. Seven existing scholarship players plus Spencer Sutton. RJ Smith was not in attendance. 

One of my co-workers played basketball with RJ Smith recently, and he said RJ told him he would be seeking to transfer because the one of the coaches told him he wouldn't get much playing time with the players they are bringing in. :huh:

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

John Hoover's takeaway.........predictable...

I heard Hoover and his crew on the radio after the press conference and this is indeed all they could talk about. While Coach Mills probably should have used a different reference, however Hoover totally mischaracterized Coach Mills' statement by saying he quoted Drake and then said, "oh uh...here are some Bible scriptures."  

I was there and that is not how it went at all. He totally misled every listener that relied on his account to know what happened at the press conference.  

The lyrics of the song weren't shared or the name of the rapper given. The name of the song was given to make a point about Coach Mills' approach to work. There was nothing suggestive, vulgar, or offensive about his reference at all. While trying to describe how he is an 'all or nothing' kind of guy, Coach Mills said there is a rap song that talks about going from 0-100 mph. That's how he is when he get's committed to something.

Coach Mills then talked about how his goal is to fill the Mabee Center by putting a quality product on the floor. That's when he started quoting scriptures about representing Christ through excellence. People seeing your good deeds and glorifying your father in heaven.

I hope Coach Mills has thick skin and doesn't hold grudges. ORU has plenty of haters and we know what they do!

Haters gonna hate!

JUST WIN BABY!!!! 

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

I hope Coach Mills has thick skin and doesn't hold grudges. ORU has plenty of haters and we know what they do!

Haters gonna hate!

JUST WIN BABY!!!! 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vcboy2000 said:

One of my co-workers played basketball with RJ Smith recently, and he said RJ told him he would be seeking to transfer because the one of the coaches told him he wouldn't get much playing time with the players they are bringing in. :huh:

:thinking: Surprising since RJ would be our biggest returning guard.

25 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

As asked earlier, can anyone post a copy of today's presser?

i checked ORU athletics youtube and facebook pages, it has not been posted yet.

here is Haisten's article.....the TW also has video of the Q&A w/Mills, Carter, and Albert Owens

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/oru/bill-haisten-after-paying-respect-to-suttons-paul-mills-attempts/article_1089eb03-4f88-568c-b58f-986b89d665ff.html

edit: they also have Mill's statement posted at Tulsa World, but not Wilson's or Carter's statements.

Ok...who's going to print the shirts in time for the home opener? Sign me up for one!

"LET'S DO THIS!"

IMG_2757.PNG

It appears that we have two scholarships available with seven remaining players and four newcoming players. I've heard that Perry is working on some possible recruits and Mills too. I wouldn't be surprised if Mills leans on his Baylor contacts - at least initially. 

Thanks Alum for posting.  I like how this staff is coming together.  Go Golden Eagles!

Just watched the press conference. Can't help but be excited after that!

Also, for as poorly as the firing was handled, the administration really seemed to do a good job with the hiring process. It seems like it was organized and efficient. There wasn't any embarrassing leaks about going after a candidate and being turned down or anything like that. Overall it seems like it was handled in a first class way and that they got the right guy.

I'm really excited about the direction of the program. Can't wait to see the staff he puts together and the product on the court!   

• Upvote 1

The big question now is, what will our non-conference schedule look like? (I know -- that's being discussed on another thread.)

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Bad Blood said:

What exactly would you rather the official school PR account say about that picture?

Just sayin' . . .

C-hmo7AXUAEemNM2.jpg