Western Illinois at ORU

theeagleman5

A weekend series begins tonight with WIU at JLJ.....our 3rd straight home Summit series then we will be on the road almost every weekend for the next month except for a visit from Fort Wayne.....the Leathernecks come to town with an overall record of 6-16 but are 3-3 in the Summit.....after a 1-11 start they have gone 5-5 in the past 10 games....last game was a 12-1 beating of Robert Morris on Tuesday....so these guys can put some runs on the board....ORU will need to continue with the excellent pitching that we've had during the first 6 weeks of the season.....we are 17-7 and looking for our 9th win in a row tonight....GO BLUE!!!....:eagles:

Masterful pitching performance tonight thru 8 by Justin McGregor....0 runs and just 4 hits...ORU up 3-0 batting in the home 8th.....watching off and on on ESPN3....:eagles:

Good Guys win 3-0.  We are now 18-7 overall.  First pitch tomorrow at 2:00 pm Tulsa time.  Go Golden Eagles!  And it was a great job by McGregor, going 8 scoreless innings.

Just great pitching tonight....McGregor was awesome....Stout strikes out the side in the 9Th for save #4....ORU has a new Friday night starter my friends and Stout was unhittable...any word on Brady Womacks???...:oru-logo:

I may be wrong but I thought they mentioned him "warming up" at one point in the bullpen.  I was watching the game on ESPN3.  BTW, great job to the broadcast team/crew.  

The ESPN3 broadcasts just keep getting better and better. Really professional production!  :clap:

• Upvote 1

Matt Whatley has reached base safely in all 25 games this year...Kyle Stout has an 0.60 ERA....and a league leading 4 saves....ORU(18-7. 7-0) goes for 10 in a row today. Let's do it!!....:eagles:

No bullying today....ORU bats come up small again today and we lose 5-2 to pathetic WIU....we only have 8 runs in the past 3 games.....not good but not time to panic yet....hopefully this wakes up the Eagles and we take the series on Sunday....:oru:

Hey, after bragging so much about the ESPN3 broadcasts, did anyone else have buffering issues with the streaming video from the ORU website on Saturday?

I could never manage to load more than a few seconds worth from about the 7th inning on, on both my phone and my iPad.

To test whether the problem was on my end, I streamed the replay of the final minutes in regulation and overtime of the women's semifinal between Mississippi State and UConn on ESPN3, and it loaded just fine - and what an ending!

I too had the same problem OT.  I was away at an event and was trying to watch on my iphone.  It was so bad I finally gave up watching the game. 

ORU wins 1-0 in the 10th inning.  A strong pitching performance by both teams.

We are now 19-8.

Weird game.  Hard to recall ORU ever going into extra innings scoreless before, particularly at J.L. Johnson Stadium, where runs typically come a little easier than at most parks.

And then to have the game end in the bottom of the 10th on back-to-back "Hit By Pitch" plays that "drove" in the only run of the game?

Bizarro.

But, it's a win, and 2-out-of 3 to take the series, which is pretty impressive considering ORU scored only 6 runs in 27 innings worth of plate appearances.*

* for you stat heads about to mention the extra inning on Sunday, remember ORU didn't need to bat in the 9th on Friday, so it averages out to 9-frames-per-day of offense with the full 9 innings on Saturday.

The only run of the game scores in the tenth on a single, sac bunt, IBB, and two consecutive HBP.  Ugly but effective!

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

The only run of the game scores in the tenth on a single, sac bunt, IBB, and two consecutive HBP.  Ugly but effective!

WIU gave ORU a tough series......the Saturday winner for WIU will be the SL pitcher of the week....book it.

the IBB w/ 2 outs was a real head scratcher....i could see walking Williams w/ 1 out to set up a double play.....but with 2 outs???  made no sense

• Trevor McCutchin singled up the middle.
    Michael Hungate grounded out to c, SAC, bunt; Trevor McCutchin advanced to second. (1 out)
    Brent Williams flied out to lf. (2 outs)
    Cal Hernandez was intentionally walked.
    Sam Grellner hit by pitch; Cal Hernandez advanced to second; Trevor McCutchin advanced to third.
    Nate Westfahl to p for Connor Rektorski.
    Dylan Snypes hit by pitch, RBI; Sam Grellner advanced to second; Cal Hernandez advanced to third; Trevor McCutchin scored.

TheEagleman will take the series win over WIU but ORU is officially in a batting slump....we had just 6 runs over the weekend and no long balls....only 9 runs in the last 4 games. This isn't good with a big game vs. OU coming up Tuesday then we head on the road for our first Summit away series of the season....a lot of road games coming up in the next 6 weeks....the bats need to get going....but we are 19-8 and 8-1 in the Summit....so no complaints here.....Just wondering....when was our last 1-0 win?......:eagles:

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

WIU gave ORU a tough series......the Saturday winner for WIU will be the SL pitcher of the week....book it.

the IBB w/ 2 outs was a real head scratcher....i could see walking Williams w/ 1 out to set up a double play.....but with 2 outs???  made no sense

• Trevor McCutchin singled up the middle.
    Michael Hungate grounded out to c, SAC, bunt; Trevor McCutchin advanced to second. (1 out)
    Brent Williams flied out to lf. (2 outs)
    Cal Hernandez was intentionally walked.
    Sam Grellner hit by pitch; Cal Hernandez advanced to second; Trevor McCutchin advanced to third.
    Nate Westfahl to p for Connor Rektorski.
    Dylan Snypes hit by pitch, RBI; Sam Grellner advanced to second; Cal Hernandez advanced to third; Trevor McCutchin scored.

The only thing I can imagine is that Hernadez (switchhitter) was walked in order to set up a righty-righty matchup and a force at any base.  If so, this is another case where overthinking got a baseball manager in trouble.

• Upvote 1