ORU vs. Tulsa

Old Titan

21 minutes ago, Gold* said:

I don't want to debate this further on your board, but really?  We have had worse teams.  Wojcik's first team was awful.  Manning's first team was not good.  I agree with your coach.  We have some players.  Magnay and Igbanu are going to be really good.  Etou already is really good.  Birt can be good.  Wheeler is a poor man's Juice Woodard.

And to Voice's point, if we finish middle of the AAC, that's pretty decent with all this turnover.  It's a hard league.

Good luck.  I really hope you get this turned around.  I don't know what the issues are with attendance, but think it's lame to blame us.

The freshman-dominated TU team that last won in the Mabee Center was dramatically better than this roster, particularly in terms of athleticism.

This group is really s-l-o-w; reminds me a lot of Phillips last few recruits (which became Wojcik's first team).

Though, I must admit I was impressed by the Atson kid - he's kinda weak-looking, but he made some huge plays when they mattered.

21 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Considering the current injury situation, I wonder if Smith's redshirt should be reconsidered.

From what little I saw of him in the exhibition game, he looked long and physical - just what is needed right now on the perimeter in Anderson's absence.

if they did not rip off the red shirt for the game last night, it's not going to happen

If i'm TU fan, i'm not sure i would be pounding my chest about beating a 7 man team with 3 legit mid-major starters on the court (Martin, Eman, Albert)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

If i'm TU fan, i'm not sure i would be pounding my chest about beating a 7 man team with 3 legit mid-major starters on the court (Martin, Eman, Albert)

That would be a little like topping a dribbler through the first baseman's legs for a three-base error, then telling everyone you hit a triple.

17 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

if they did not rip of the red shirt for the game last night, it's not going to happen

Sure they could - they did it with Moses Ehambe in mid-December of his sophomore (and planned redshirt) year.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The freshman-dominated TU team that last won in the Mabee Center was dramatically better than this roster, particularly in terms of athleticism.

This group is really s-l-o-w; reminds me a lot of Phillips last few recruits (which became Wojcik's first team).

Though, I must admit I was kinda impressed by the Atson kid - he's kinda weak-looking, but he made some huge plays when they mattered.

We had Juice and Shaq Harrison, but other than Pat Swilling (who was injured) and Tim Peete, what talented players did we have that we didn't have the last few years when we lost three in a row to you?  Shaq and Juice were great, but our bigs were awful and we couldn't shoot.  Haith did a lot with that weird team.

This team has shooters and big guys.  I agree we are slower.  But that isn't why we lost to Jacksonville State.  We just didn't play defense or hit free throws.  That said,I think this team is way deeper and has more potential.  We've gone from Deandre Wright vanishing at times to several guys that rebound and consistently perform.

I agree on Atson.  I'm glad someone else who pays attention to basketball does.  A few on our board don't like him. I keep telling them they are nuts.  He's the kind of player you hate as an opposing fan.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.  Back to lurking.

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

Sure they could - they did it with Moses Ehambe in December of his freshman year.

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

sure they "could"; but will they??

i still say if it was going to happen, you do it last night. 

if he is not going to step in and take all of Darian's minutes and some of Jontray's.......save the year. 

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

sure they "could"; but will they??

i still say if it was going to happen, you do it last night. 

if he is not going to step in and take all of Darian's minutes and some of Jontray's.......save the year. 

You're talking about two guys who had the same production as a dead man last night.

I really think Smith is a keeper - I think he could provide valuable minutes, not just filler.

Just now, Old Titan said:

You're talking about two guys who had the same production as a dead man last night.

I really think Smith is a keeper - I think he could provide valuable minutes, not just filler.

agreed.  however, the staff see Smith in practice everyday and still have him behind Jontray and Darian.

if Sutton thought his job was in any kind of jeopardy he would have played Eman second semester last year. 

i just don't think there is any sense of desperation or "win now" with the current President/AD/coaching situation.

31 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

agreed.  however, the staff see Smith in practice everyday and still have him behind Jontray and Darian.

if Sutton thought his job was in any kind of jeopardy he would have played Eman second semester last year. 

i just don't think there is any sense of desperation or "win now" with the current President/AD/coaching situation.

At a place like ORU, wins and losses (plus attendance) aren't just about the coach's future.

They're about the future of the program itself at the D-1 level.

Now, how's THAT for instilling a "sense of desperation"??

Just found out that a friend had to pay $20 for a walk-up ticket to last nights game. I can guarantee he won't be returning to a game without a ticket provided by a season ticket-holder. At $20 a piece, you're not going to get any interest from anyone other than diehard fans, who already have season tickets. Hmmm... could this have anything to do with the dismal turnout last night? I regularly get cheap-seats at Thunder games for half that price, where the entertainment value is not even comparable to what ORU is able to provide.  

The Kids-In-Free promotion is great. One of the best promotions to come from the Athletic Department in years. But what is the point if you jack up ticket prices and eliminate any interest from anyone that isn't a parent of a child under 13?

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

At a place like ORU, wins and losses (plus attendance) aren't just about the coach's future.

They're about the future of the program itself at the D-1 level.

Now, how's THAT for instilling a "sense of desperation"??

I fear that you may be right...

52 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

TU game ticket prices are higher than normal. I think most games you can get a ticket for $10?

Thanks for clarifying. 

Coach Sutton said that Anderson might be back by the OU game.  He said they don't want to rush him back too soon and then have him reinjure it and significantly affect his opportunity to play during his senior season.  Honestly, Anderson doesn't fill up a stat sheet, so I haven't seen him as being as important a player as a Scott said he is.

8 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Coach Sutton said that Anderson might be back by the OU game.  He said they don't want to rush him back too soon and then have him reinjure it and significantly affect his opportunity to play during his senior season.  Honestly, Anderson doesn't fill up a stat sheet, so I haven't seen him as being as important a player as a Scott said he is.

Yeah, but with him out...we have been blown out by Loyola, Montana, & Tulsa.

If I recall, he went out during the Ole Miss game. One that we might have won, with his physicality/ball handling down the stretch.

9 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I've never been a big Anderson fan either, until the Rogers State game - he was doing a lot of the important little things, like making the smart pass off penetration, disrupting the opposition flow on the perimeter, and running down the long rebounds.

He's never going to be a great scorer, but it's pretty obvious by now that he's desperately needed by this particular roster.

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I've never been a big Anderson fan either, until the Rogers State game - he was doing a lot of the important little things, like making the smart pass off penetration, disrupting the opposition flow on the perimeter, and running down the long rebounds.

He's never going to be a great scorer, but it's pretty obvious by now that he's desperately needed by this particular roster.

Yep.

We've got PLENTY of guys willing to put up shots... :grimacing: