ORU vs. Tulsa

Old Titan

Each season lately, it seems like I pick TU by 10 points or so, and then ORU somehow pulls a rabbit out of its hat and comes away with a win.

I'm nothing if not traditional:  let's (seriously) go with TU again this year, by 10 points or so.  :-P

This game looks a lot tougher than it did when they were losing to Jax State and Wichita. Do we know anything on Anderson? Will be a huge task without him.

TU has wins over New Orleans and Oregon State. New Orleans is still searching for their first D-1 win, and Oregon State has two very unimpressive victories. I still think we're the favorite in this game, despite our meltdown in the Virgin Islands. Wouldn't be surprised to see us run away with this one.

it just feels like TU's turn to win.  i'll say TU in a close game if Anderson is 100%.  TU by 15-20 if he is out again.

what are the chances there will there be more than 5k in Mabee?

68-65 ORU.  Lots of fouls, free throws, and a lack of a consistent flow for most of the game, but ORU squeaks out a win.

9 hours ago, ORUJason said:

68-65 ORU.  Lots of fouls, free throws, and a lack of a consistent flow for most of the game, but ORU squeaks out a win.

That description would be in keeping with most ORU-TU games - never works of art; typically grinders either way.

I'm curious to see the turnout for tonight's game. Families should all be back from Thanksgiving travel with nothing going on. I'm sure athletics has been advertising hard on campus to get a solid student turnout the week before finals. 

My hope: packed gold section spilling into the blue

Expectation: half-filled gold section with far too many obnoxious TU fans. 

TU is a 1.5 point favorite tonight....TheEagleman usually loves home dogs.....and tonight is no exception.....ORU has had a week to lick the wounds from a disgraceful performance at the Paradise Jam in the final two games....honestly, who knows how we will perform and we don't know our injury situation with Aaron Anderson....it's a really tough to call but the heart says give ORU one more chance especially on the home court....we are going for 4 in a row vs. Tulsa...our "friends" from the north part of town never respected us back in the 70s when I was a student and the same is true today...maybe if we keep beating them they will get the message.....ORU sends another message tonight with an 82-73 victory.....home underdog outright!!!....:eagles::eagles::eagles:

Losing team in this series has scored exactly 68 points the past 5 times. Weird stat.

I'll go with the good guys to rebound 70-68.

Although, this game has the possibility to be a 20 point win in either direction. Honestly, I don't have any clue. But, like OT...I've thought TU was going to win the last three against ORU by double digits and I was completely wrong each time.

1 minute ago, oruvoice said:

Losing team in this series has scored exactly 68 points the past 5 times. Weird stat.

I'll go with the good guys to rebound 70-68.

Although, this game has the possibility to be a 20 point win in either direction. Honestly, I don't have any clue. But, like OT...I've thought TU was going to win the last three against ORU by double digits and I was completely wrong each time.

So...first team to 69, WINS!! :party:

Keys to the game (and where ORU has excelled in the past three meetings)

• Rebounding

• Free throw shooting

• Shot selection

• Tempo

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TU is a 1.5 point favorite tonight....TheEagleman usually loves home dogs.....and tonight is no exception.....

TU at -3 now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if TU won by 15-20. TU has more talent than Montana or Loyola so it could get pretty ugly.

The line is going up....ORU +3 right now.....more reason to love the home team...TU isn't going to win tonight........but I would really like to know if Anderson is playing....anybody know what his injury is?  :tb-blue:

Like others have said, I think Anderson's injury plays a huge role in the outcome of this game. If he suits up, I think our experience on the perimeter gives us a huge advantage. Whether TU will admit it or not, this is a big game for both teams, and TU's youth might lead to some shaky play.

If ORU needs any bulletin board material, TU is running commercials on the Sports Animal radio station (the home of the Golden Eagles) saying to come to TU games for the only "top-notch" basketball in Tulsa.  What a direct shot across the bow toward ORU.  This is similar or perhaps even worse than the "One city, One team" slogan that they had a few years ago.  Let's make it 4 in a row tonight!

32 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

If ORU needs any bulletin board material, TU is running commercials on the Sports Animal radio station (the home of the Golden Eagles) saying to come to TU games for the only "top-notch" basketball in Tulsa.  What a direct shot across the bow toward ORU.  This is similar or perhaps even worse than the "One city, One team" slogan that they had a few years ago.  Let's make it 4 in a row tonight!

Not sure that's as much a shot at ORU as it against the Summit League.

Playing in the American conference, TU has the luxury of annual home games with the likes of UConn, Memphis, SMU, Cincinnati, and Temple. 

Tough for ORU Sports Marketing to compete for ticket sales vs. that slate.

So there will be no Tune-In app available for tonight's game.  Maybe it is just me but I do not remember this being a problem in past years.  It seems like I could always get our games on the Tune-In app and never had this problem.  Right now, I don't think a single game this year has been available on Tune-In through the "Sports Animal".  I am not sure why this year this is a problem, but I know in years past Hax had quite a following listening in on the Tune-In app, who would also "check in" with him through out the game via the Internet.  To my knowledge, none of that has occurred this year.  Bush League on the Athletic Department.  If the GEC wants donations from out of town supporters, you may want to make the product available.  And please, don't tell me about the Athletic Department's website.  The product that delivers is a joke and hard to listen to at best.