More National Hype

Dr. Cornelius

Ok this is getting scary... Fox Sports writer Yoni Cohen says ORU could be a potential upset... Why are we getting all this national love? We've been mentioned on EVERY sports network and even on non-sports shows (IMUS), can anybody remember another 16 getting so much run?

Unfortunately I think this gives Memphis bulletin board material. They seem to be getting disrespected by the east coast media. Not good.

wow, this is getting crazy. I didn't figure any of the pundits would say we had a chance. We better not make the pundits look stupid, lets do this thing. Leeeeeerooooooy Jenkins!!!

Leeeeeerooooooy Jenkins!!!

LOL!!!

I agree, all this press is nice, but I hope the Tigers don't read any of it.

Believe me, our guys very much know how much they're being disrespected.

There isn't a national media outlet in America that wants to see us make our run. We're not from one of the Big 6 conferences, so therefore, we're trash and undeserving of our 1 seed in their eyes.

Like I said...BELIEVE ME...our guys know the score....

The ironic thing is that Memphis is my favorite #1 this year. I would like nothing better than for a 'non-power' conference team make a run through the tournament and win the national championship. I just don't want them to beat ORU....

The ironic thing is that Memphis is my favorite #1 this year. I would like nothing better than for a 'non-power' conference team make a run through the tournament and win the national championship. I just don't want them to beat ORU....

Nice post Terry!

I would have rather gone unnoticed. That Memphis team is going to take it out on us that they are getting disrespected. All we needed is for them to show up. Great.

thanks for nothing.

seriously though. it may hurt us in the game. we wont be able to sneek up on them, but as far as national pub for the university, that is great. What i have noticed is most of the time they talk about the team and sutton but not Caleb, Ken, and Larry. So are they making these predictions on Memphis merit or our's?

The national pub bothers me (for the first time ever) AND the effect that it could easily have on BOTH teams. Memphis comes out psyched up with something to prove and ORU comes out tight and nervous because they're the first 16 seed in who knows how long to get this much publicity before the first game. It should be the COMPLETE opposite. ORU has nothing to lose and should be able to come out and play like it. Memphis is #1, they have everything to lose. Neither team has any tourney experience minus Calipari and one Tiger player so I would hope that the Tigers would come out nervous and the Eagles would just come out ready to play. Unfortunately all this pub is really taking away the chances of that occurring.

Relax guys......our coaches have been to the dance before (just not with ORU) and know how to shake off the jitters. Face it Cory Williams even knows the jitters of playing for the Chicago Bulls when they won a National Championship. They are doing a great job of preparing our team mentally! The bus rolls out to Dallas tomorrow. GO EAGLES!!!

Good point! I'm just surprised at all the media coverage we're getting.

Coach Sutton has been to the Final Four with his dad....that's an experience few coaches have had. We aren't doing this cold turkey. The NIT was practice for us last year on what to expect. Our guys know what it is to play in large arenas with large crowds. There is maturity on our team and they understand what to expect from the media.

Look, this all about these media personalities being able to say, "See! What did I say? I called it, man!" It's really no risk on their part, because if ORU fails to do the 'never-been-done' then they can just say, "Hey, I was just saying there was a chance. I mean c'mon, no #16 has ever beaten a #1, and Memphis is great...they only have three losses. You didn't think I was serious did you?"

Texasgrip, well said. therefore we are backto where we were. ORU has nothing to loose & Memphis has everything to loose. If anyone comes out tight, it should be Memphis.

Guest EagleBackr
Texasgrip, well said. therefore we are backto where we were. ORU has nothing to loose & Memphis has everything to loose. If anyone comes out tight, it should be Memphis.

...you mean, everything to "lose"? Otherwise, I'm afraid we're headed back to the loose stools posts of last week... :wink:

Eaglebacker....no no no no we aren't.

Just saw the team leaving practice. They weren't scared & they weren't giddy. They have a goal and a plan on how to achieve it.......now they just need to implement. 8)

Forgive my typo from eariler... I meant lose.

I have a feeling that if the game is close at some point in the second half, the media attention could potentially make memphis even more nervous and likely to collapse under the pressure, because they'll be thinking in the back of their heads...."man, these guys really are pretty good for a 16 seed....". Basically, i think ORU needs to survive the first few minutes where Memphis will try to take out its anger for being talked about as an upset possibility, and then probably the first few minutes of the second half as well. If the golden eagles are within 10 at the 15 minute mark, i bet it'll be a tight one for Memphis.

I think you are right on. It is absolutely crucial that we have a great start. If we can punch them in the mouth right at the beginning, we could have good things in store. Even if we keep them tame to begin the game and build on that, we could have a chance to win.

Basically, i think ORU needs to survive the first few minutes where Memphis will try to take out its anger for being talked about as an upset possibility, and then probably the first few minutes of the second half as well.

I can see a 10+ - 0 run by Memphis right out of the chute - as high energy, adrenaline, and questioning press all works itself out. That's okay - we just don't want to get rattled by it. Slow and steady wins the race - or at least keeps us in the game! If we can just execute and not get down by too much early on, then who knows, anything can happen.

The other possibility is that BOTH teams come out ice cold from the tension of the whole thing. We saw just about every team in the Mid-Con tournament struggle in their first games, and we may see a similar situation Friday.

Either way, I'm just looking forward to savoring the moment, win or lose. This will be the first time to an NCAA Tournament game for me, and I don't want to let anything spoil the experience. No matter what, I'm extremely proud of our team and our coaches.