Strategy and Tactics....

ORUTerry

Okay, what do you think ORU has to do to be in a position to make the game close? Obviously, it will take Memphis having an uncharacteristically bad game and ORU playing the game of its life.

We will need to try to control the tempo as well as we can, ala Chicago State... well maybe not quite like that, but something similar. Look for us to play some zone to limit dribble penetration and and maybe try to use a half court trap. Switching things up could slow them up a bit. We do not want to run with the Tigers.

We need to limit our turnovers (obviously) and thus limit their fast break points. They are going to get their points; the key is to prevent it from becoming an avalanche.

We also need everyone to have career games.... let's hope that our outside shooting is hot. I was at the Oakland game when Riouse shot 10 of 17 from the 3-point arc... it would be nice for he and Tutt and Ehambe to rain down 3's.

Keep the game in striking distance and see how Memphis reacts to the pressure.

Guest Rob Marshall

The recipe is simple ... it's all about confidence.

Confidence is the key to every lock and it is the companion of success. We have to respect our opponent, but not fear them. Have to believe we belong and I think we do. When we walk on the court before the tip, each of our guys needs to look his man in the eye and say with boldness "don't (jack) with me."

Guest Rob Marshall

We have to have a "play loose and have fun" mentality, and yet have an inward intensity and focus to fight for a full forty minutes. A lot of teams can play "close" for 30ish minutes, but can few can close as strong as they start. In that lies the answer to whether the Golden Eagles can make history on Friday.

I will say this, never before has a 1 seed been favored by fewer points in Vegas than the Tigers are on Friday. Memphis by 15.5 and that may be a few too many (12.5 or 13 is a better calculation by a local friend of mine).

Thanks Rob.... you are correct. This team needs to stand tall and not let the venue (NCAA tourny) or opponent (good as they are) affect them. Memphis is obviously talented and athletic - but ORU has some talent too. We need to play to our strengths and believe.... after all isn't that what we do?

Expect a Miracle....

Do you think the coaches will encourage that mentality though? I'm going to assume they will. We have a quality bunch of coaches who really do a pretty good job preparing our team to play. How do you guys think they will get this message out to the players. I think Caleb will have The Smile (which means he's playing loose).

It would help a lot if we could hit 58.5% from the field and 67% from outside the arc like we did in our last game. IMO in addition to shooting well, we need to win the rebound battle, contest every shot Memphis takes, limit our turnovers (less than 10 would be nice), and hope we don't get out-athleticisized like we did in the longrun against Maryland last year. Our team also needs to stay mentally tough out there. Oh yeah, and everyone that steps on the court needs to have the best game of their life so far.

I think we should show them all the movie Hoosiers, especially the scene where they are measuring the height of the goal, which is exactly the same as at the Mabee Center.

The recipe is simple ... it's all about confidence.

Confidence is the key to every lock and it is the companion of success. We have to respect our opponent, but not fear them. Have to believe we belong and I think we do. When we walk on the court before the tip, each of our guys needs to look his man in the eye and say with boldness "don't (jack) with me."

RM, I agree with both of your posts...but only could quote one! :)

I think our coaches are thinking strategy & smart basketball game planning! If I'm Scott Sutton, I'm mocking up the game and creating scenarios for the players all the way through...I'm looking at the most tense, hard situations, and whom to go to in the crunch - option 1, 2, 3, etc. I threaten each guy with their firstborn that if they get the ball, they're making the shot - no questions asked...once they make the bucket, now go do this. I make sure every player knows what they're supposed to do at every turn of the game!

Anyone ever hear the phrase "Luck happens when opportunity meets preparation!" That's what I'm thinking. Prepare, prepare, prepare! Then go execute it! We've got the talent, given our guys do what Rob posted, and they work on the above type of regimented preparation...that's how we beat Memphis!

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE IT AT YOUR CORE AND NOT TAKE FAILURE AS AN OPTION! :!::D8)

I dont think zone is the way to go... solid help defense on penetration and make them shoot and hope they miss. Loose and fun will get ORU beat by 30, ORU does not play good D when they are too loose IMHO and that will result in an up and down game and 20 dunks by the Tigers. ORU needs to be focused, confident and resilient...and most of all... lucky...

ash =o)

Not a lot of zone... but enough to throw them off a bit and help if we get in foul trouble. I think we will need to see a bit more of Marchello Vealy. We need his length, athleticism and shot blocking ability.

We are definitely at a height disadvantage. I don't think that we can start Mickey, because we need Yemi to guard Shawne Williams, LO to guard Rodney Carney and Caleb can guard Joey Dorsey. That leaves JB guarding 6'2" Darius Washington Jr. and Ken Tutt guarding either 6'6" Antonio Anderson or 6'6" Chris Douglas-Roberts. If we played man with Mickey out there then we would have to have Caleb guarding Carney or Williams. To have Mickey out there we would have to go into a zone.

A lot of tough matchups, they are athletic and long.

With their length, it may be tough for Tutt or Riouse to get their shots off. They will have to come off screens and use lots of ball movement.

If they are playing tight man on us then Caleb and Larrys' passing underneath will get the two of them open shots. Once Caleb starts to dominate, then the players on the wings will start to sag in on Caleb and Larry and that will lead to open looks on the outside.

Of course all of this is predicated on every player playing a career game.

Guest Rob Marshall
I dont think zone is the way to go... solid help defense on penetration and make them shoot and hope they miss. Loose and fun will get ORU beat by 30, ORU does not play good D when they are too loose IMHO and that will result in an up and down game and 20 dunks by the Tigers. ORU needs to be focused, confident and resilient...and most of all... lucky...

ash =o)

ash, you've proven yourself several times to have a good basketball mind, but you're using interpretative liberties with my words (loose and fun) that don't reflect at all what I was suggesting. What I meant by "playing loose and having fun," was simply saying don't be so "tight and scared" that you are afraid to make a play (or a mistake).

40 minutes is a LONG time, during which we are going to lead and we are going to be behind at different points during the course of the game. Regardless, we have to keep our poise and confidence to make plays to win the game. "Playing loose and having fun" should NOT be interpreted as simply "run & gun" offense and nothing that resembles defense because if they equal that then you're right Memphis will win by 30 but that isn't anywhere close to what I mean.

Guest Rob Marshall

In my opinion, the play of Jonathon Bluitt will determine the outcome on Friday. If the JB from the Mid Con semi-finals shows up, ORU has a legit shot at the upset. However, if he over-dribbles the ball, misses shots, and is careless with the ball then ORU will lose.

Additionally, I'd have two (2) guys back every possession on defense and give up no easy baskets. No easy baskets. No easy baskets. No easy baskets. And again I say, no easy baskets. 8)

Any chance we'll see less JB and more Fowlkes/Riouse/Chello given the match-up challenges? Remember, this was a guy that only saw 15 minutes in the opening game of the mid-con. Then again, if the JB of the semi's shows up, this is a moot point. We need him to come out early and establish tempo and limit turnovers. We were able to go on a 26-7 run after Chicago State jumped out to a 7-0 lead, but my good brain tells me that we are toast if we come out the same way vs. Memphis.

Guest Rob Marshall
Any chance we'll see less JB and more Fowlkes/Riouse/Chello given the match-up challenges? Remember, this was a guy that only saw 15 minutes in the opening game of the mid-con. Then again, if the JB of the semi's shows up, this is a moot point. We need him to come out early and establish tempo and limit turnovers. We were able to go on a 26-7 run after Chicago State jumped out to a 7-0 lead, but my good brain tells me that we are toast if we come out the same way vs. Memphis.

Memphis' back-up point guard (#15 plays about 15 minutes a game) is 5'10ish (like Bluitt) so that will be a nice match-up to watch. It will be interesting to see what Scott does with his bench (Fowlkes, Vealy, Riouse, etc.). While the Tigers don't have a real good post (center), they are extremely long and athletic. ORU hasn't played anyone this year even close to Memphis from a long athletic bodies standpoint.