Everything setting up great for ORU = DANGER AHEAD!

ashVID

There is PLENTY to enjoy RIGHT NOW at ORU!! Every game is a celebration with this team! We'll worry about March when it gets here!

I LOVE your line that "every game is a celebration with this team!", Backr. I've been feeling a little nervous about tonight - not really because I doubt that we can win, more apprehension over the unknown, I guess. But that line really helped get things in perspective for me. It's going to be a fun evening, a large crowd, exciting basketball, great entertainment, and an all around big night tonight. Like you said, a celebration with and for this team. I can't wait for it to start!

Is there an ignore option on this board? Why must you insist on jumping on everything I say backer? Poll everyone on the TU boards, you wont find someone who has been to as many ORU games as me. I take a lot of flack for it and I have defended ORU repeatedly over the last couple years. There is one thing to be a passionate fan, another to be a jerk...

ash =o)

Guest EagleBackr

I LOVE your line that "every game is a celebration with this team!", Backr. I've been feeling a little nervous about tonight - not really because I doubt that we can win, more apprehension over the unknown, I guess. But that line really helped get things in perspective for me. It's going to be a fun evening, a large crowd, exciting basketball, great entertainment, and an all around big night tonight. Like you said, a celebration with and for this team. I can't wait for it to start!

...and even though we lost tonight, it was an AWESOME atmosphere! Big time basketball was back at the Mabee Center, folks! (and somebody give Ash a medal for coming to so many ORU games - what sacrifices he has endured!)

Guest Rob Marshall

EB, you're obviously an intelligent and well read person, which I certainly appreciate. A few months ago you deleted 100% of your previous posts on the message boards and introduced your new and improved, much more gracious approach to the message boards. It's disappointing to see that you have digressed again to angry and aggressive tones, especially toward "ash" and frankly I would like you to calm down and return to posting your typical quality takes rather than mean-spirited, harsh attacks. You have many good things to share, don't spoil them with angry words. Cool? 8)

I agree with Rob. You have a lot of good insight, but try not to offend our supporters, even if they are from TU. You don't have to agree with their posts, just don't get personal.

Luke 10:27

He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "

ATTENDANCE:

I did enjoy seeing the attendance for both the ORU & TU games.

ORU = 6941

TU = 4536

Cheers to the ORU marketing dept and the student body for a job well done. I haven't seen that many students, unless it was Homecoming for a long time

For the record, ORUBlue and I have been asked to be quiet and sit down way too many times. This isn't the theater, it's basketball!!

Guest Rob Marshall

Unfortunately Mom, both attendance figures were "inflated" numbers. Agreed, there was a tremendous crowd last night, especially from the student standpoint, but unfortunately it wasn't 6,900 actual warm bodies.

IF every GOLD seat (lower level) was full, attendance is right at 5,000ish, as there are actually more BLUE (upper level) seats in the Mabee Center than gold. As you know since you were there, there were still a lot of empty "gold level" seats last night even for such an exciting regular season home opener. :shock:

My understanding was that the gold section was sold out 2 days before the game and we did have a nice showing in the blue section. I guess that both schools used "paid attendance' last night? 30 minutes before game time the ticket office said we should have a legit 7,000.

RM, what do you think true attendance was for both games? (just an educated guess)

Guest EagleBackr
I Luke 10:27 He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "

Gee, thanks for the encouraging words. Is this a cyber intervention? I'll see if I can't tone down the rhetoric. But I have a real defensive streak when it comes to wolves in sheep's clothing. Look at at this way: I have attended TU, OU and OSU basketball games since I was a kid. I can quote you chapter and verse about who their players and coaches were, and all their important wins and losses. But that doesn't make me a fan of those programs, and I would never claim to be a fan of them, even I went to all their games. I'm never so emotionally involved in their games that I would shout out spontaneously at a great play or bad call, and their wins and losses are typically quickly forgotten. In the big scheme of things, it isn't about whether they win or lose - I just want to see a good game featuring players I'm familiar with. But it's different with ORU - I genuinely care what happens to them; I want to see them do well. Before they play a big game, I get butterflies, and if they win, I'm elated; if they lose, I'm sick. And that feeling doesn't go away soon! That's why I consider myself a fan of ORU - it's why I feel comfortable refering to ORU as "us" and "we", and it's why I resent casual observers with no emotional stake in ORU's fortunes telling me I "have no reason to enjoy" the renaissance that is taking place right now at 81st & Lewis. I fully intend to enjoy every minute of it....

P.S. Nice to see you posting on the ORU message board, Mrs. Smith. I really enjoy your lemon cream pies - pick them up all the time in the frozen food section at Reasor's...

P.P.S. Yes, Mr. Marshall, I did say that I was now trying to stop and smell the roses - I just don't like being told how they're supposed to smell...

EagleBackr - A lot of ORU fans read your posts and agree with what you say 100%. I actually had several posters tell me as much in the process of setting up the new site. I think we all have the right to be frustrated after the loss yesterday.

The attendence numbers at both schools are inflated. TU is actually a worse offender in these lean years against small opponents. I personally wish there was more cross-pollination of fans. Both schools could use an extra 1500 bodies in the seats...

ash =o)

Funny, the comments on this board in other forums echo IDENTICALLY the comments posted on the TU board the year in question. People questioning the coaching, lack of PG play, shooting woes, defensive intensity and wanting to bench the starters... TU pulled it together... so will ORU...

ash =o)

• 2 weeks later...

I bump this NOT to say I told you so but as encouragement. Even under JP the Tulsa team I reference put it together WHEN IT COUNTED and was a fluke shot away from going to the sweet 16 after defeating the A-10 Champ and (almost) the Big 10 champ.

LSG was a crutch for this team at times last year...tonight they fell flat on their face. Time to learn to walk again...

ash =o)

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping because it is becoming EERIE how much this season for ORU is echoing that season for TU. People forget that when TU stumbled to an 11-7 start Charlie Davis was hurt and missed a lot of minutes, Dante Swanson missed a couple games including a loss to Iowa at home and Reed was hobbled with a bad ankle. Then you have Reed getting kicked off the team....hopefully Vealy is just in the dog house...

The good news is that TU got healthy and brought it all together and was playing as well as most in the top 25 by seaons end. I expect the same from ORU.

ash =o)