Everything setting up great for ORU = DANGER AHEAD!

ashVID

This ORU team reminds me of the TU team a few years back. Returning from a successful season having lost only one of the top 7 players (Greg Harrington) and the sky was the limit. TU was on the national map EARLY in the season for the first time in a long while. Nationally ranked KU was coming in and TU was poised for a top 15 ranking and a deep tourny run.

Reality check, suddenly TU could sneak up on NOBODY and most teams they played had TU circled as THE big game of the year. Our team sorely missed the leadership of Greg Harrington and stumbled out of the gates to an abyssmal 11-7 record. Only a late season surge and conf tourny win got us into the tourny.

ORU is in similar shape this year. LSG WILL BE SORELY MISSED! He saved ORU's bacon multiple times last year. Schedule-wise, same deal, ORU will probably be one the premiere games on most opponents schedule. There will be no sneaking up on anyone. Combine that with ORU's recent history of trouble on the road and in big games and you must be very very careful or you will be in for the same fate as TU. ORU has the potential to be a sweet 16 team, they will have to stay focused and ignore the hype...

ash =o)

Man, Ash, you're scarin' me . . . I don't think we need to put the weight of the world on Saturday's game, but our performance will indicate how mentally and physically tough we are.

As ORUTerry has said about a thousand times, it's a long season, this first game isn't make or break. But it WILL get us off on a strong start if we can win. The old saw of "one game at a time" certainly applies here.

We play the OOC schedule to get better, right, Ash? At least in the Mid-Con, it's all about conference play - and one team making it to the tournament.

The game will give us an indication about this particular collection of players.... what is their chemistry and how tough mentally are they? We have a pretty good idea given that most of them have played together previously. There are player combinations that are new (Ogunoye, Vealy, Fowlkes) where we might see some adjustments. The substitution patterns should be interesting to watch.

We should also see some set plays that were not shown in the pre-season, as well as some defensive sets - pressure (full court/half court traps) and maybe even some zone. Both teams will be playing their first real game and will probably have some butterflies.

I want to see defensive intensity for the whole game and a focus on teamwork/ball movement on the offensive side of the court.... focus on every possession with an emphasis on valuing the basketball. Utah State will slow the game down and play great defense - that is their strength.

You must admit, though, Blevins, prior to last season ORU had had some struggles on the road. That's no doubt what Ash was refering to. Takes a while to live down the reputation.

Road troubles? We didn't have many road troubles last year. We beat Saint Louis, SMS, Northern Arizona, Georgetown, Valpo and lost to Indiana and Hawaii by one point. At IU Ken missed a shot that would have won it at the buzzer and at Hawaii we lost on a desparation fling from almost half court at thee buzzer. The fact is these guys are actually REALLY GOOD ON THE ROAD. Personally, I don't see this team having much in common with the TU team fromm a few years back. I'm not sure but that was probably a John Phillips coached team and while he was a great guy, I'm not sure how good of a coach he was. Coach Sutton is in his 7th year and his team is better than ever and loaded with talent, excitement, and hunger.

Rob

That girl Ashley (aka AshVid) doesn't know jack. She is just an ignorant TU homer that comes on our board to provoke. I hate people like that!!!

Ha! Ash is probably one of the most solid and levelheaded Tulsa area basketball posters. I agree about ignoring any hype... but then again I doubt USC will know who we are.

ORob1, the unfortunate thing for Coach Phillips is that prior to coaching at TU he led Broken Arrow High School to their one and only state championship.

The highs and lows of the coaching profession!

I do remember a similar situation for ORU in 84/85, when the Titans returned the key starters from the 1984 NCAA team and expectations were sky-high. However, the team chemistry was never there, and the team started 2-7 and finished 15-15.

While ORU is excited about the coming season (and should be), I think we're still a fairly unknown commodity out there. Until ORU makes it to the Big Dance again, most basketball junkies won't care. The Utah State board is a prime example, with most posters quite confident in an Aggie W at the Mabee Center.

I don't believe over-confidence will be a significant challenge this year, while there's still "unfinished business".

My reference to the road is more the last several years where ORU lost several games they should have won. There may be some high profile OOC teams that dont have ORU circled but trust me, they wont overlook ORU. EVERYONE in the midcon will be chomping at the bit to try and topple ORU.

Phillips, contrary to what many think, was a good coach, he just could not evaluate talent and recruit. He won 50 games his first 2 years, made the NCAA tourny both times and got unlucky to miss the Sweet 16 both years. Sutton and staff are FABULOUS evaluators and recruiters, they just need to prove they can win... and win when it counts with that talent.

ash =o)

Guest EagleBackr

Another gloom-and-doom prospectus from one of our TU buddies, in the guise of well-meaning advice. Reminds me of college, when you would tell a "friend" about the great girl you just met, only to have him bring you down by telling you some negative tidbit he knows about her! Always refreshing to have TU fans very sagely reminding us not to have too much fun enjoying the best team ORU has had in 20 years. Especially enjoyed all the little digs about not winning the big ones. Forgive me if I choose not join in the negativity over what MIGHT happen to ORU just because TU underachieved 10 years ago. Maybe you guys just weren't that good! Maybe ORU is better than you think! IT'S OK FOR US TO BE ENJOYING THIS!!

Ash you make a good point, but look at this seasons motto of "Unfinished Business" The coaches and players will be ready to focus on the one goal, win the Mid-Con and dance in the NCAA. Im excited for what the season holds. The guys are prepared and they will prove it on Saturday.

Schedule-wise, same deal, ORU will probably be one the premiere games on most opponents schedule. There will be no sneaking up on anyone.

ash =o)

Don't get me wrong, I think ORU has the potential to be REAL GOOD this year, but we haven't done enough to be a game that most of this year's opponents will circle in red.

Minnesota plays Maryland, UAB, UNLV, and Arizona State plus the Big 10 schedule; USC has North Carolina and BYU in addition to their Pac 10 games; and Utah State has BYU and Utah in addition to this being their first year in the WAC.

While we definitely won't be sneaking up on anybody, we're still a few steps away from being considered a premiere opponent on a non-conference schedule for any major conference school.

I am the biggest ORU supporter of the TU diehards. I am not preaching doom and gloom. I dont expect ORU to struggle and for the record I have them winning 25 games again and winning at least 1 game in the NCAA tourny. You are a real piece of work... luckily you are the exception, not the rule when it comes to ORU fans. I think the record will show that TU was indeed that good as they dominated the #4 and #5 seeds for the better part of both those games.

There is nothing to enjoy just yet. If you wanted to look at the positive of what I am saying, you could take the high road and say that even if ORU DOES get off to a rocky start while adjusting to life without LSG, they can pull it together in the end and have a great year.

ash =o)

Guest EagleBackr
I am the biggest ORU supporter of the TU diehards. I am not preaching doom and gloom. I dont expect ORU to struggle and for the record I have them winning 25 games again and winning at least 1 game in the NCAA tourny. You are a real piece of work... luckily you are the exception, not the rule when it comes to ORU fans. I think the record will show that TU was indeed that good as they dominated the #4 and #5 seeds for the better part of both those games.

There is nothing to enjoy just yet. If you wanted to look at the positive of what I am saying, you could take the high road and say that even if ORU DOES get off to a rocky start while adjusting to life without LSG, they can pull it together in the end and have a great year.

Ash, you keep proving my point about the condescending nature of TU fans when it comes to ORU! You say, "I am the biggest ORU supporter of the TU diehards" like it's some sort of a sacrifice you make! Was there some sort of contest on the TU message board to determine "the biggest ORU supporter", or are you self-appointed? If there was a vote, I would honestly have to throw in my lot with BasPlayer, because if having you as an "ORU supporter" means having you come out of nowhere to post messages saying 1.) "There is nothing to enjoy yet", and 2.) "The Mabee Center reminds me of an old diner", then I can't WAIT to hear from the ORU detracters! There is PLENTY to enjoy RIGHT NOW at ORU!! Every game is a celebration with this team! We'll worry about March when it gets here! In the meantime, if you truly are an "ORU supporter" and not just an "ORU critic", CHEER UP AND JOIN THE PARTY!!:D