Memphis or Texas???

TrueBlue82

Memphis or Texas in the first round?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Memphis or Texas in the first round?

• Memphis
    • Texas

This will be moot in a few hours, but worthy of discussion until then. ORU, by all accounts, will end up as a 15/16 seed. Memphis and Texas are both on the cusp of either 1/2, and it is likely that one will get a 1 and the other a 2. Memphis and Texas are both probable candidates for the Dallas bracket, as is ORU. So, although NOTHING the NCAA does makes sense, it is reasonable that ORU will be playing either Texas or Memphis in the first round next week. As matchups go, who would you rather see ORU play (who would we have the better opportunity for the upset against), and why???

Let the dance begin!!!

Given the scenario you set out, I would rather play Memphis at the Dallas regional. Texas would be playing on their "home" court. Memphis is a freakishly good team.... very athletic. They are young though and might overlook us.

Besides, they were are last opponent in the NCAA back in 1984.... payback?

I voted for Memphis, but in reality I don't really care who we play. This team has a chance to do something special this year. They finished the season hot. Larry just had his best game, Ken is back in freshman form, and Caleb has been reliable as always. If all 3 of them play as well as they did in the Mid-Con tourney, I think we can hang with anyone, especially if we keep up the hot shooting from outside the arc. And I know it's probably a stretch, but I honestly believe that this year's team would've beaten Maryland in the NIT last year. I don't know if any team will overlook us as much as they'll probably underestimate us (our "bad losses" may actually work in our favor in that regard).

Guest EagleBackr

...arguing the merits of playing Texas or Memphis reminds of that scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid where Robert Redford says he won't jump from a towering cliff into a roaring river to elude capture, because he can't swim. Paul Newman laughs and says, "You can't swim? Hell, kid - the FALL will probably kill you!!"

And I say this not to be negative but to point out this: if we're going to shock the college basketball world either way, what difference does it make who our victim is? ANYBODY - ANYWHERE - ANYTIME (but since you asked, I prefer Memphis :wink: )

This morning most services have us as a 15 seed in Dallas vs Texas.

I like our chances...... ORU can beat the horns! This is the year of the 15 seed!

By Peter Tiernan

Special to ESPN Insider

2 seed vs. 15 seed | NCAA First Round

Once every five years or so, a 15-seed manages to knock off a 2-seed. The last victim was Iowa State ? five tourneys ago. The time might be right for another upset, but don't pencil it into your bracket.

Upset watch: All the 15-seed Cinderellas came into the tourney winning nine of their last 10 games and at least three in a row. They all have regular-season records no higher than .800, indicating that they've played their share of tough teams. And they all got balanced scoring from the back- and frontcourt, averaging between 37 percent and 58 percent of their scoring from guards. No. 15 seeds satisfying these three attributes are 4-8 against their No. 2 seed opponents. The rest of the No. 15 seeds are 0-72.

Recent upsets: Hampton over Iowa State, 2001. Coppin State over South Carolina in 1997. Santa Clara over Arizona, 1993. Richmond over Syracuse, 1991.

If we end up getting Texas, let's hope they aren't coming off a loss to KU in the Big 12 Championship....they need to be over-confident for us to have a chance...I'd rather play anyone else in the Big 12...

Looks like we got what we wished!

On a related note...KU is looking scary and Texas does not look like a top 10 team right now...