Rylie Torrey

BlueGold

From Twitter:

@TWsportsextra #okpreps Locust Grove's Rylie Torrey, Madison Davis committed to ORU and West Texas A&M, respectively. Will sign Nov. 12.

— Mike Brown (@MikeBrownTW)

November 4, 2014

Here's an excerpt from Mike's story in the Tulsa World:

(excerpt)

Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 12:00 am
BY MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer | 0 comments

Locust Grove senior girls basketball players Rylie Torrey and Madison Davis have given verbal commitments to Oral Roberts University and West Texas A&M respectively.

Both will sign Nov. 12, the first day of the NCAA early signing period, according to Locust Grove girls coach Justin Brown.

Torrey, a 5-foot-11 shooting guard, transferred from Weatherford in the offseason when her father, Dusty Torrey, was hired as Locust Grove’s new boys basketball coach. He was former girls coach at Weatherford.

She started three seasons for the Eagles, helping lead them into the Class 4A state tournament the past two years.

She averaged 15.5 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists as a junior while shooting 48 percent from 3-point range.

Rylie's commitment to ORU isn't new news to me.  I saw it mentioned as far back as in the Jan-Feb 2014 issue of Vype Southwest Oklahoma magazine that she was planning on attending ORU in the fall of 2015 to play basketball and study Sports Medicine.

Right now, she and Anadarko guard Ashley Beatty have verbally committed to sign with ORU starting with the 2015-16 season.  It's expected that Ashley will also sign on Nov. 12th.  I don't know of any other players that will or might sign with ORU.  That leaves at least three open spots that can be filled by incoming players since we are losing five players after this season that will have used up their eligibility- Detti Balla, Atoe Jackson, Vicky McIntyre, Tysia Manuel and Carolina Lopez.  We also have the scholarships of KayKay Mayberry and Alexus Wilson that could be in question going into 2015-16 since nothing's been released as to why they were taken off the roster or whether they'll be back or not.  So potentially up to seven open spots, and that doesn't count who else might not return after this season.

We're going to need some bigs since we'll be losing both of our true posts, Vicky and Carolina.  We're also losing Detti, who's in the 6-2 range.  I'm hoping that a certain 6-2 Bartlesville Lady Bruin named Hailey Tucker that has mad skills decides that being close to home and going to a school with a Christian environment and her familiarity with playing at the Mabee Center and her connections to current Golden Eagles/former Bruins and the fact that she's taken a visit and it seemed to go well will lead her to commit to ORU.  If she does, it could help change the game in terms of our incoming class.  But... she's got offers from most of the Big 12 and a bunch of other schools and is highly sought after.  She's expected to decide on her commitment before the signing period starts next week.

We'll see what happens beginning Nov. 12th. 

A nice honor for Rylie, announced today by the Wendy's High School Heisman Program and posted on Twitter by Jacob Unruh:

Big Pasture's Taran Knox, Locust Grove's Rylie Torrey named Wendy's Heisman state winners http://t.co/mywGPVHYS6 #OKPreps

— Jacob Unruh (@jacobunruh)

November 11, 2014

The link to Jacob's story can be clicked on in the Twitter post above, or here it is:  http://bit.ly/1oE1rU6

To the story posted by Barry Lewis in the Tulsa World:  http://ow.ly/E7v0l

Congratulations, Rylie!

• 2 months later...

Another shout out to Rylie in today's Tulsa World:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/highschools/basketballgirlshs/five-girls-basketball-players-to-watch-brice-calip-sapulpa-eva/article_11d8f3c5-f8c4-505f-96e6-d5bbdcdde8fa.html

The article also mentions ORU in connection with two other players- Bartlesville's Hailey Tucker, a senior and one of Oklahoma's top players who didn't sign early and is likely to sign in April during the Spring period; and junior Eva Lewis of Will Rogers, who has some serious numbers this season.

• 4 weeks later...

Rylie's Locust Grove team, currently ranked #3 in Oklahoma 4A, beat 4A #1 Fort Gibson last night and the story- which tells a good story- that's linked below was published in the Pryor Daily Times in advance of the game yesterday.  She's having a nice season, averaging over 20 points a game and doing a lot of other things to help the team win, which they've done a lot of so far.  They're 16-1 after the win over Fort Gibson.  Looking forward to seeing her in a Golden Eagle uniform next season and in the seasons to come.  

http://www.pryordailytimes.com/sports/catalysts/article_bd7648dc-b0a1-11e4-9324-13b4224cc504.html

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping that a certain 6-2 Bartlesville Lady Bruin named Hailey Tucker that has mad skills decides that being close to home and going to a school with a Christian environment and her familiarity with playing at the Mabee Center and her connections to current Golden Eagles/former Bruins and the fact that she's taken a visit and it seemed to go well will lead her to commit to ORU.  If she does, it could help change the game in terms of our incoming class.  But... she's got offers from most of the Big 12 and a bunch of other schools and is highly sought after.  She's expected to decide on her commitment before the signing period starts next week.

We'll see what happens beginning Nov. 12th. 

#okpreps Bartlesville standout Hailey Tucker decides to attend Southwestern State University, bypassing several D-1 offers.

— Mike Brown (@MikeBrownTW)

April 12, 2015

Perhaps she wants to be a pharmacist?  Southwestern State has a good school of pharmacy.  Otherwise, from a basketball standpoint, this makes no sense.  I assume she could transfer from a D-2 to a D-1 university after a year if she wants to and be eligible to play right away?

Seems like a strange decision.  Maybe her boyfriend wants to go to school there?

Perhaps she wants to be a pharmacist?  Southwestern State has a good school of pharmacy.  Otherwise, from a basketball standpoint, this makes no sense.  I assume she could transfer from a D-2 to a D-1 university after a year if she wants to and be eligible to play right away?

Seems like a strange decision.  Maybe her boyfriend wants to go to school there?

Her boyfriend is already at SWOSU, on the basketball team, he redshirted this past season so if he stays there when she gets there starting this fall then they'll potentially have 4 years to spend together.

I really don't get it either, but she decided to follow her heart, and her aspirations to model, although she could've modeled in Tulsa if she had come to ORU.

Here's the link to Mike Brown's article about her commitment (best opened in a new tab):

Link: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/highschools/basketballgirlshs/bartlesville-s-hailey-tucker-commits-to-southwestern-state-for-basketball/article_ffc88d0f-033a-5347-b2e3-95dfa4945a1c.html

I'm not going to judge her, she's doing what she feels is best for her but I'm sure she's already had a lot of people react like you did, ORUJason, and will have a lot more wonder about why she would go D-2 when she had legit D-1 offers sitting out there.  I don't know what the level of interest was for any of the D-1 schools that have been linked to her, but she seemed to be hoping that Oklahoma State would come calling.  It's one of the reasons why she waited to commit and sign now instead of last fall.  I find it strange that she didn't wait until early this week to commit, or until the first day she could sign, which is this Wednesday, to see if any other offers would come or would firm up.  

I've seen and read things since last November that had her linked to offers from OSU, Arkansas, Kansas State, and New Mexico, and there has been interest in her from a number of others, including TU, East Carolina, Utah State, and at one time, ORU.  Can't say if we had still offered her or had any interest to after we signed the five last November and had Bria Pitts transfer into our program in January.  I still would've liked to have seen her end up a Golden Eagle.

In the article she says this:  

“D-1 doesn’t mean anything, it’s just a level. All the girls at Southwestern could play Division I basketball,†she said.

Just speaking personally, I think it does mean something.  It's the top of the competitive ladder in collegiate athletics and a level that I assumed she was aspiring to reach, so it's surprising that she didn't accept any of the D-1 offers she had.  I can see it being different, obviously, if she didn't have any D-1 offers, and I would think that at least some of the girls at SWOSU are at SWOSU because, unlike her, they didn't have any D-1 offers.

Anyway, I'll never begrudge her for wanting to be happy, and comfortable.  

At this point I'd rather focus on who we have, and I'm excited about that.  This thread is about Rylie Torrey.  She's a special player and continues to rake in the honors for what she accomplished this season:

Tulsa World Player of the Year, First Team All-State, First Team All-Metro (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/highschools/basketballgirlshs/all-state-girls-basketball-locust-grove-s-rylie-torrey-is/article_c9331e73-7587-5386-9084-c7fcd4f770a8.html)

Oklahoman Super 5 Second Team, Class 4A First Team 

Vype Shelter Insurance Oklahoma Miss Basketball Award (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCQxJx7UAAAKLyb.jpg:large)

Oklahoman- Class 4A state tournament MVP and All-Tournament Team

Wendy's Heisman state winner for Oklahoma

Our other Oklahoma signee, Ashley Beatty, has also been recognized for her outstanding senior season at Anadarko:

Oklahoman- Class 4A First Team, Class 4A state tournament All-Tournament Team

Tulsa World Honorable Mention All-State

Add in our 3 internationals, who all played on their junior national teams; and Bria, who played a season at Arkansas and was a standout high school player; and the returning players; and the anticipated debut of redshirt freshman Jasauen Beard, who sat out this past season due to injury; and the anticipated return of Kaylan Mayberry, who would've been our leading returning scorer coming into this past season, and we have the recipe for a really good present and future.

I don't know if we are going to sign anyone here in the spring.  We may hang onto any scholarships we have open and wait until this fall when a number of good players in the Tulsa and OKC areas will be eligible to sign.

How often do college relationships last? Certainly less than a 50-50 chance that they will still be in love within a year. Then she may rethink her decision. I wish her the best. I'm sure she will dominate at the D2 level. ORU should play them in an exhibition game this upcoming year.

"D-1 doesn’t mean anything, it’s just a level. All the girls at Southwestern could play Division I basketball,†she said."

Let's review that comment when she's taking 10-hour van rides to games against second-tier competition in front of 73 fans.

• 3 months later...

strange.....without knowing the reasons, can't imagine the coaches are real happy.  you hold a spot and a scholarship for a year and the player does not even make it to fall.

Locust Grove's Rylie Torrey leaves ORU http://t.co/cGpUY2ajdL #OKPreps

— Jacob Unruh (@jacobunruh)

July 23, 2015

Unbelievable...

Can't imagine what could have happened to have changed things enough that she would up and leave the program and the University like this.  We may never know.

Committed very early, stayed committed, signed, talked about how happy and blessed she was with the opportunity, seemed to be looking forward to getting on campus, went through six weeks of classes and workouts, only to end up leaving.

Strange is right.

not much new from the Oklahoman article, other than a "no comment" from Coach Cussen.

State Player of the Year Rylie Torrey headed to NOC-Enid, not ORU - Tulsa World

Rylie Torrey’s All-State appearance was supposed to be the first of many on the Mabee Center floor. Now, not so much.

ORU coach Misti Cussen had no comment on the situation Thursday.

This has awkward written all over it...

From Jacob Unruh, NewsOK Sports on April 9th:
"The Oklahoma Coaches Association released the rosters Thursday for the annual All-State girls basketball games, which will be played at Oral Roberts' Mabee Center on July 29..."

Here are the rosters:
Large East

Hailey Tucker, Bartlesville

Taylor Jones, Broken Arrow

Marcia Reed, Tulsa East Central

Lauren Billie, Tulsa East Central

Rylie Torrey, Locust Grove

Desiree Phipps, Fort Gibson

Madison Davis, Locust Grove

Shaiann Tramble, Shawnee

Kendriana Washington, Tulsa Washington

Olivia Wells, Ada

Large West

Serithia Hawkins, Southmoore

Andee Decker, Edmond Memorial

Dakota Vann, Deer Creek

Crystal Polk, Lawton Eisenhower

Ashley Beatty, Anadarko

Blake Blessington, Harrah

Kyeria Hannah, Southmoore

Hayden Priddy, Piedmont

Jentry Holt, Elgin

Adrienne Berry, Mount St. Mary

Ashley's still representing us in the game so we can celebrate that.

I'm still at a loss as to what happened and how this could've happened as relatively quickly as it did.  I won't go into specifics but sometimes when you see things change and happen on social media and you get the feeling that something isn't 'right' then maybe it isn't.  Have to say I would have liked to have been the proverbial fly on the wall when all of this went down, to know what happened and what could have changed so relatively quickly that she would decide to leave like this.

Sometimes high schoolers don't think logically, instead they think emotionally. Sometimes they are mercurial, haphazard and serendipitous. Sometimes they get bad advice from people they trust.

I don't know anything about the specifics of this situation, but I would guess that any patience with Rylie from the coaching staff has ran out.

I would imagine there are few things worse for a college basketball coach than having your livelihood hinge on the whims of 17-year-olds coming out of high school.

I'm betting this is another case of "follow-the-boyfriend", but who knows.

Well, I'm sure Misti knows, but she's too classy to say...

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

She's back.......!!!!

Link to the release: ORU Women’s Basketball Adds to 2017 Team (Rylie Torrey)

Guess you can come home again.  She'll have to sit out for the 2017-18 season due to transfer rules, will then have 2 seasons of eligibility left as the release states.

I'm happy about this, I definitely hated to see her transfer out before she even started her freshman year at ORU, she's a really good player, I'm confident she can step in and help us, if she stays the course and stays at ORU.