ACC Officiating

orumom

Did any of you get to watch Duke/Miami. I thought they had MidCon officials part of the time. Especially that last minute when there was a call against Miami that was as bad as Mickey's 4th foul call. I bet their coach doesn't sleep tonight, but nothing you can do.

Who would have thought Wake Forest would have a 20 point lead against NC State......... That's why it's March Madness.

I hope we don't end up against an ACC team, because of location and officiating that tends to favor Duke.

Duke got favorable treatment from the refs???? I can't believe it.

Redick is the most overrated player in my lifetime.... No question.

Duke got favorable treatment from the refs???? I can't believe it.

Reddick is the most overrated player in my lifetime.... No question.

I would like to defer my comment to ORUStatBoy. StatBoy... your thoughts?

Miami got called for a foul and Reddick hadn't been touched (from every angle in the replays). Miami was only down by 1 with 18 seconds. Reddick made his free throws......it just turned your stomach.

Yes, JJ Redick is the most overrated player ever. As long as overrated is defined as being the NCAA's all-time leader in made 3-pt field goals, second all-time in free throw percentage, second in scoring this season, the back-to-back ACC Player of the Year, and potentially just the eighth player in the HISTORY of college basketball to be named the National Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons.

But on the same note, I'm not going to say that there aren't those out there like Dick Vitale who talk a little too loud and too long at times about him (which I'd argue does more harm than help to his overall rep).

Seriously, Adam Morrison is WAY MORE overrated than Redick. While he is putting up some big numbers, he's doing it against competition that isn't that much better than the Mid-Con (take the two games against Gonzaga off the other WCC teams' schedules and see where their RPI leaves them). I'd argue that Larry and Yemi are better defenders than what he's seeing on most nights.

Now if we're talking overrated basketball players in general, Antoine Walker might be the most overrated of all time. Last season he was the worst shooter (38.8%) in the NBA among players who averaged at least 8 points per game, and only five players in the league put the ball up more. Walker was also among the worst 3-point shooters, although he attempted a whopping 582 3-pointers last season. And best of all: Shaq shot better from the charity stripe than Walker.

Not I'm not saying that JJ's going to take the NBA by storm by any means (at 6-4 he needs to be able to get to the rack better in order to create more space for his deadly jump shot.), but he'll have at least a Jeff Hornacek type career. Don't be surprised to see him on the '06 Olympic roster either.

BTW, do you actually work at this "new job" of yours, MabeeJ?

That play mom's talking about was definitely a joke ... Guillermo Diaz hit a three for Miami that brought them within 78-76 and then one of the Miami players was trying to position himself and the ref mistook it for a last second "intentional" foul. It was ridiculous and Frank Haith should give the ACC officials evaluator an earfull over that one.

JJ came out of it the second half, but when the game started today he was only 23% of his last 83 shots.

Ouch, StatBoy. I was trying to help you out and stand up for your boy and what do I get? My work method is this: I work with breaks. I find that it helps me concentrate during my non-break time. I go 55 min of work and 5 min of break. AND I work through lunch.

What time do you usually get to work StatBoy? :)

Work's gonna get more "fun" for me, as of today IT just blocked MySpace, Facebook, Xanga, Youtube, and get this, ESPN.com!!! Or maybe I should look for a new job? lol

Com on neighbor, you know I got nothing but love for ya!

BTW, I hear the work/break method is much more effecient when you do five minutes of work with 55 minutes of break in between. Not that I'd know personally . . .

Yes, JJ Redick is the most overrated player ever. As long as overrated is defined as being the NCAA's all-time leader in made 3-pt field goals, second all-time in free throw percentage, second in scoring this season, the back-to-back ACC Player of the Year, and potentially just the eighth player in the HISTORY of college basketball to be named the National Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons.

But on the same note, I'm not going to say that there aren't those out there like Dick Vitale who talk a little too loud and too long at times about him (which I'd argue does more harm than help to his overall rep).

Seriously, Adam Morrison is WAY MORE overrated than Redick. While he is putting up some big numbers, he's doing it against competition that isn't that much better than the Mid-Con (take the two games against Gonzaga off the other WCC teams' schedules and see where their RPI leaves them). I'd argue that Larry and Yemi are better defenders than what he's seeing on most nights.

Now if we're talking overrated basketball players in general, Antoine Walker might be the most overrated of all time. Last season he was the worst shooter (38.8%) in the NBA among players who averaged at least 8 points per game, and only five players in the league put the ball up more. Walker was also among the worst 3-point shooters, although he attempted a whopping 582 3-pointers last season. And best of all: Shaq shot better from the charity stripe than Walker.

Not I'm not saying that JJ's going to take the NBA by storm by any means (at 6-4 he needs to be able to get to the rack better in order to create more space for his deadly jump shot.), but he'll have at least a Jeff Hornacek type career. Don't be surprised to see him on the '06 Olympic roster either.

Statboy, maybe you missed this link from ORUTerry:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... ry/9278908

Even if he is the "NCAA's all-time leader in made 3-pt field goals," his percentage isn't great...and he's a wuss. What a flopper!!!

Wow, he hit 7 threes today against BC (and Duke still barely won)...time for him to tank again. I predict Dukey bows out before the sweet 16...I can't believe they got the top #1 seed.

Still glad we're not playing 'em...(!)