No Mention of IUPUI in the NIT

ORUProf

IUPUI doesn't qualify for the NIT with an automatic bid since ORU won the MidCon outright.

---

EDIT: I didn't mean outright... I meant that ORU had the #1 seed. Only #1 seeds get the automatic to the NIT.

Not quite Mom,....IUPUI is declared as co-champion, but won the number 1 seed because of the tie-breaker. They will get a banner for the regular season too. Howver, the NIT process calls for the tie-breaker to be used to decide if a team is eligible for the NIT tournment. From that, Oral Roberts would have been the only team eligible automatically.

I know we both ended at 13 and 3 to tie for the Mid-Con regular season championship, but I thought ORU was declared the #1 seed for the tournament.... we did play WIU after all. Am I missing something?

Reread my post Terry...I alluded to the fact you were the number 1 seed, but you are the regular season co-champion as far as the banners go. It's happened before. We were with Southern Utah the year they won the touornament. It's not a slap at you or the year you had, just a technicality. Didn't mean to get anyone fired up.

No problem..... did not mean to imply agitation - just trying to understand. It does seem from your quote that you are saying IUPUI won the #1 seed.

Not quite Mom,....IUPUI is declared as co-champion, but won the number 1 seed because of the tie-breaker.

They should be in the NIT

Not sure about that...although they did great this season in the conference (as good as us), their overall record isn't that impressive for a mid-major team from a lowly conference...I think the only reason we got into the NIT last year is because we lost our tourney at the buzzer and had a 25 win season...we'll see. When is the NIT field announced?

Guest EagleBackr

This is going to sound like a joke, but I'm serious: IUPUI is NEVER going to get an NIT invitation until they change their name. Seriously. The NIT is all about matchups and selling tickets. How is a Michigan or a Creighton or a Nebraska supposed to get any of their fans fired up about buying first-round NIT tickets to see their boys take on "OO-EE POO-EE"? Until they become Indianapolis State, or some version thereof, they're screwed...

On a related note, did anyone catch the flags that IUPUI used at the Mid-Con? The flags, for each letter of I-U-P-U-I, are alternating colors of Indiana and Purdue (red/white and gold/black). Talk about a total lack of identity.

On a related note, did anyone catch the flags that IUPUI used at the Mid-Con? The flags, for each letter of I-U-P-U-I, are alternating colors of Indiana and Purdue (red/white and gold/black). Talk about a total lack of identity.

That is the problem. IUPUI grads identify with either Indiana or Purdue grads so there are no true IUPUI grads.

On the diploma that an IUPUI grad receives he or she can choose it to say "graduate of Indiana University" or "graduate of Purdue University."

My wife is an alum of Indiana University-Bloomington and I noticed in her alumni magazine that they include graduates of Indiana campus Indianapolis and Indiana campus Ft Wayne. They are talking about IUPUI and IPFW grads. So, no, they don't have a seperate identity.

Guest Rob Marshall
This is going to sound like a joke, but I'm serious: IUPUI is NEVER going to get an NIT invitation until they change their name. Seriously. The NIT is all about matchups and selling tickets. How is a Michigan or a Creighton or a Nebraska supposed to get any of their fans fired up about buying first-round NIT tickets to see their boys take on "OO-EE POO-EE"? Until they become Indianapolis State, or some version thereof, they're screwed...

Actually I disagree with you again here, RH. IF IUPUI deserved an NIT bid, they would get one, regardless of their name. That said, Indianapolis State's a great name! :wink: