Bill Haisten Column in Tulsa World (3-10-06)

ORUTerry

Carpenter to call Nationals

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

3/10/2006

excerpted

The ORU advantage:

Tuesday's Mid-Continent Conference finale, played at Union High School's remarkably nice arena, provided yet another reminder that Oral Roberts University clearly has the best basketball product in Tulsa.

After three seasons of superiority, ORU has seized the city's No. 1 status that had belonged to the University of Tulsa since 1980. If fan enthusiasm could be measured, ORU would have a 5-to-1 edge over TU. ORU's fans, particularly the students, generated considerable noise and were a factor in the Mid-Con championship game. For regular-season home games, the ORU crowds are more involved than are TU's.

Over the last two seasons, ORU has had a greater attendance average. Over the last three seasons, TU's combined record is 29-57, with three losses to ORU and three first-round defeats in conference tournaments. ORU's three-year record is 63-30, and the Golden Eagles are headed to the NCAA Tournament. With Caleb Green and Ken Tutt returning as seniors, ORU should be good again in 2006-07.

TU coach Doug Wojcik inherited a program obliterated by recruiting mistakes.

ESPN.com's NCAA Tournament mock bracket slots ORU as a 16 seed, matched with top-seeded Memphis in Dallas. CollegeRPI.com projects ORU as a 15 seed in a first-round meeting with second-seeded Ohio State in Dayton, Ohio.

ORU royalty:

Among the fans who stormed the court following ORU's Mid-Con championship was Tim Gill, a former Golden Eagle guard and the program's best player in 1994-98. After a 110-game pro career in Germany and two U.S. minor leagues, Gill, 30, was forced to retire because of a recurring left-foot injury.

It was the play of Gill, who ranks fifth on ORU's career scoring list, and forward Rocky Walls that lifted the Golden Eagles to their current level of respectability. The 6-foot-8 Walls, No. 3 on ORU's career rebounding list, currently averages 10.5 points and 13.3 rebounds for the Dakota Wizards of the Continental Basketball Association. He is married with two children and owns a home health agency in his hometown of Grand Prairie, Texas.

This article made my morning! It says what we were trying to say after ORU defeated TU this year, but better. I promise I will stay off of the TU board, but it will be hard since I know they are still in denial (it was really hard not to post the article). :roll: