Big West Tournament

TrueBlue82

I just noticed the setup that the Big West uses for their tournament. They run a four-day tournament with eight teams (similar to the Mid-Con). However, the 3rd and 4th seeds get first round byes - and the #1 and #2 seeds receive byes directly to the semifinals.

First Round -

#6 vs. #7

#5 vs. #8

Second Round -

#3 vs. 6/7 winner

#4 vs. 5/8 winner

Semis -

#1 vs. 4/5/8 winner

#2 vs. 3/6/7 winner

Finals - Semi-final winners

Actually, there's a lot I like about this format, as it truly give the top seeds some benefit for winning during the regular season, and a very significant advantage for the tournament. But, can you imagine being the #5 seed, and having to win four nights in a row to advance??? Not likely to happen.

Anyone think the Mid-Con should consider/adopt this format? I think it's worthy of consideration.

I like this format because it rewards success in the regular season. The top two seeds should have a significant advantage in the post season tournament.

The reason they use this is to give Gonzaga an easier time. The WCC wants Gonzaga to win games and be highly ranked so they go deep in the tourney. That way the WCC gets more money to spread around to its sacrificial lambs. I think the day of rest that Mid-Con top seeds get is a bigger advantage than people think.

Actually, fenix, I was referring to the Big West, which has Pacific and Cal-Irvine as the 1/2 seeds. However, you are also correct, as the West Coast Conference (with Gonzaga), follows a similar format.

I always get those two confused. Kind of makes me look like an idiot.

I thought it was Gonzaga's conference too, so don't feel too bad.

i also like how it rewards the top seeds... A) the top teams play less games, so winning the regular season would mean more than just bragging rights and a seed for the conference tournament. and B) It greatly reduces the chance of having a cinderella (Oakland) win the final and embarrass the midcon in the NCAA.