On-Campus Watch Party for Game (not just pairings)

ttowncount

Anyone know whether an on-campus watch party is being planned for Thurs or Fri? I'm not talking about Sunday's party for the announcement of the pairings ... I'm talking about the game itself.

So if the game is in Dallas, not everyone can go. How 'bout it for those still in town? Or if the first round game is further away (and fewer people travel), would be great to get together on campus and cheer together.

I remember when the women were in the conference tourn a couple years back going to Mabee Center, big screen, lights turned down low, popcorn, and lots of people cheering. It was fun.

Someone should be thinking about it!! I think it would be GREAT!!!

I will make some calls and see what can be organized. Did the Mabee Center have screens on the floor or use the screens on either side of the court?

As I recall it was set up as Johnson Theatre... just Sections A, B, C, and D. Then there was just one huge screen hanging where the stage / curtains would be... basically edge of the b-ball court.

We didn't have those screens at the end at the time, and, personally, I don't think they would be good for viewing the whole game at their present location.

Fox and Hound at 71st & Garnett was a good place for the NIT last year. They could handle a pretty big ORU crowd. What if they setup the Mabee Center like Victory Church and had the game put on a couple screens. They could open up the concessions for everyone and treat it like a movie theater. I bet CBS would have a camera there to show all the ORU fans watching the game. The 16 and 15 seeds usually play at prime time don't they???

I like the on campus venue.... especially if the game starts at 11:00 am.

Let's find out where and when we play and then figure out the options.

Well its too bad it's spring break. The students could have had chapel in the Mabee Center at 11 a.m. and watched the basketball team. Hopefully some students will decide to make a road trip since it is spring break during the tournament.

There is a problem with trying to have it at the Mabee Center, on Thursday the 16th Acquire the Fire is having load in, and the 17th and 18th Acquire the Fire is doing there thing so Mabee Center probably won't work. Have to figure out some other plans.

If we open Zoppelt up all of the way, how many will it seat? We only had 2 sections open for the Great Alaskan Shootout and a few hours to let people know, but it was really fun.

if zoppelt was oppened up completely, i'm pretty sure it would hold more than enough as most of the students won't be on campus. I also really enjoyed the atmosphere during the great alaskan shootout.... especially the USC game.

The ORU Almuni Board is close to announcing a venue on campus to come watch the game.... they are working on it as we speak. If the game is in Dallas, there will be a two-prong effort: an on-campus event and an effort to organize a trip and events in Dallas (depending on interest). More will be unveiled on Monday when we know where the team will be playing.

Tim McKitrick in the Alumni office has announced the following:

The NCAA tournament plans are in full swing . We will be hosting a watch party in Tulsa for the game (whenever and where-ever the game is actually held). The party will be in the ORU cafeteria, big screens, food etc. We are working out the details as I write this.

At the same time, if the game ends up being in Dallas, we are also planning a similar event for people in Dallas who can't get tickets to the game. These events would be held concurrently, so....... we need volunteers who would help host the event in Tulsa. (No matter where the game is held). It will be a great time!

We will be sending an email to the public announcing these things on Monday when we know when and where the first game will be held.

If the game is held in Dallas, my company can get hotels in Arlington for $39 to $48/nite at Holiday Inn, Comfort, AmeriSuites. I'm out of the country so can't handle, but just contact the Alumni Office and Tim or Calvin (or George Paul) can get you in touch with my office. It would need to be coordinated thru Golden Eagles or Alum office. Mark

Thanks Mark.... I will forward this to Tim, George and the Golden Eagle Club. Wish you could join us at the Mabee Center on Sunday.