How we compare budget wise.

ORU82

Why are ORU students in general - and athletes in particular - forced to live in on-campus housing all four-or-five years?

My understanding is that this is purely a matter of economics. ORU needs to outgrow their campus before they can afford to let upperclassmen live in off campus housing. It isn't an issue exclusively effecting the recruitment of athletes –– many of ORU administrators see it as a barrier to growing the entire student base.

Chicken or the egg folks...  :doh:

My understanding is that this is purely a matter of economics. ORU needs to outgrow their campus before they can afford to let upperclassmen live in off campus housing. It isn't an issue exclusively effecting the recruitment of athletes –– many of ORU administrators see it as a barrier to growing the entire student base.

Chicken or the egg folks...  :doh:

If it's not so much anymore about bed checks and vespers as it was when OR was alive, then I think maybe it's time for ORU to decide if it's in the education business, or the lodging business.

• Upvote 2

when Charlie Strong moved his players on campus.  it was big news here in Texas.  he upset a lot of players.   i guess the NCAA housing allowance is pretty generous and it was a good way of players pocketing some money if they lived cheaply and with multiple roommates.  of course they aren't hurting because i'm sure the athletic dorms at Texas are much nicer than the an apartment the average college student can afford.

i've heard what SOLO GOLD mentioned.  off campus housing for upper classman will not happen until the dorms are full.

I have to admit I am amazed that our budget is that big.  I assumed we were just getting by.  Those schools are doing way more than us on a million or more less?  If we are spending 2.4M on our budget for basketball, why are we doing so poorly?  We are spending big time money.  Is there to much money sitting in suits on our bench?  I cant say that knowing our budget makes me feel any better about the program. It makes me more concerned. 

Athletes aren't allowed to receive any special privileges that other students don't receive, so because regular students are required to live on campus, then athletes are required to live on campus.

I guess I don't understand why a student wouldn't want to live on campus unless they want to maintain a lower profile so they can skirt the honor code. I understand the dorm rooms are small and don't have all the amenities that off campus living might have, but a better answer might be continuing to improve the on campus housing options.

I don't think that policy will change anytime soon because it represents a very significant revenue stream that allows ORU to operate without having to make a large tuition increase.

I don't think BYU and ORU are comparing apples to apples.

BYU = 34,000 students

BYU = been around since 1875!

Also, BYU gets ALL the Mormons! I have never met a Mormon college graduate that didn't go to BYU.

Finally, Mormons are better at sports. I think they have an extra tendon in their leg.

I don't think ORU and BYU's programs are comparable just that both maintain honor codes.

Athletes aren't allowed to receive any special privileges that other students don't receive, so because regular students are required to live on campus, then athletes are required to live on campus.

And I ask:  "Why aren't they allowed special priveleges?"

I mean, the precedent has already been set by giving them a scholarship in the first place.  is that a special privelege that every other student should also receive?

No, of course not.  Every school has exceptional students who are granted, well; EXCEPTIONS to attend the school, whether it's for academic or athletic achievement.

I say ANY students - an athlete, a singer, a dancer, etc. - that takes part in university-supported activities that promote the brand (and consequently, increase enrollment) are entitled to AT LEAST perks such as special housing, if not a stipend or (gasp!) a salary.

They have a word for that out in the real world:  it's called business. :handshake:

Wonder if our ORU players will unionize now after what's going on at Northwestern?...I can see them picketing Mabee Center demanding more meal money ..... :razz: