ORU vs. Kansas State

ORUTerry

We travel up to Manhattan, Kansas to play the Wildcats on Wednesday. They opened up their season on Friday with a loss (60 to 58) to Northern Colorado.

Here is a link to their roster.

And here is a story about the game.

Stats for the first game.

Here's what I thought ORU was before the TU game:

Not very big

Not very experienced

Not great 3-point shooters

Not great scorers down low

None of that has changed since Sunday - it just now looks like this:

Not very big, BUT....quick, athletic leapers.

Not very experienced, BUT....tough-minded and mature for their age.

Not great 3-point shooters, BUT....good mid-range shooters.

Not great scorers inside, BUT....(well, there is no but:  we're still not great scorers down low.)

Curious to see if we can continue the "little engine that could" mentality in Manhattan Wednesday night.

The game is being televised on Fox Sports Kansas City. For anyone who has Time Warner's Fox regional sports tier, it will be on Fox Sports Pacific (channel 433 in Austin!).

It should be on DirecTV and the other national providers - here are channel numbers for FSKC from the Kansas City Star: Ch. 750 on AT&T U-Verse; Ch. 450 on Dish Network, Ch. 672 on DirecTV, Ch. 20 on Google Fiber.

Yes. I have Directv and already have it "autotuned" on channel 672, so that tomorrow at 7pm, my TV automatically goes to that channel!

I sure hope you have some decent munchies and beverages - what time should I be over?

Interesting story/interview from KSU coach Weber on the Northern Colorado game and about ORU.

On Oral Roberts…
“Well they beat Tulsa and we did not anticipate that. Tulsa was suppose to be better. Watching them on film, they are scary. They have a transfer from Western Illinois (Obi Emegano) and a transfer from Utah (Shawn Glover). They are probably their two best players. They have some quickness. Coach (Scott) Sutton teams are always going to play hard and compete. People probably laughed when I said that Northern Colorado was pretty good. I told our guys that Oral Roberts might be better and might be a little more athletic. They do not a couple of seniors like Northern Colorado has, but they have some athleticism and quickness.â€

Man, that's some strange quotin' coming from ol' Bruce G. Weber.

"Well, they beat Tulsa, and we did not anticipate that - Tulsa was supposed to be better."

Sounds like one of my favorite lines, uttered by Alex "Mongo" Karras to a girl he was dancing with in college: 

"Gee, for a fat chick, you sure don't sweat much!"

HEY, NIMROD - MAYBE TULSA IS BETTER THIS YEAR, BUT ORU IS BETTER, TOO!!

Why, oh why, does everyone assume that if ORU beats another decent team, that team must either suck, or be on drugs, or taking a dive, etc.?

MAYBE ORU JUST BEAT A GOOD TULSA TEAM'S A$$, COACH....EVER CONSIDER THAT??  :punch:

Let's just beat them too....

Can't other teams just admit that we might be pretty good? Drives me crazy. They act like it means their team is horrible.

Weber is not very positive about his team in those remarks.

Yeah....those quotes tick off TheEagleman....let's just go up there and KICK THEIR BUTTS!!!....... :muscle:  :muscle:  :eagles:  :eagles:  :devil:  :devil:

• Upvote 1

Interesting story/interview from KSU coach Weber on the Northern Colorado game and about ORU.

On Oral Roberts…

“Well they beat Tulsa and we did not anticipate that. Tulsa was suppose to be better. Watching them on film, they are scary. They have a transfer from Western Illinois (Obi Emegano) and a transfer from Utah (Shawn Glover). They are probably their two best players. They have some quickness. Coach (Scott) Sutton teams are always going to play hard and compete. People probably laughed when I said that Northern Colorado was pretty good. I told our guys that Oral Roberts might be better and might be a little more athletic. They do not a couple of seniors like Northern Colorado has, but they have some athleticism and quickness.”

This is a macro/script you could run for any Power 6 coach. I would call it the Roy Williams, since even though it sounds like general "coach speak" it sounds like something that would originate with Ol' Roy.

• The opposing mid major has these player (my SID tells me)
  • The opposing mid major did this.
  • I tried to tell my team how good the opposing mid major is but they just won't believe me.

"Well, they beat Tulsa, and we did not anticipate that - Tulsa was supposed to be better."

you can bet that will be on the dry erase board of the visitors locker room tomorrow night

thank you Bruce Weber

i hope every opposing coach tells this ORU team that Tulsa is supposed to be better than them

Maybe I'm just a little naive on these things, but I missed the insult in his statement. Didn't most of us on this board predict TU beating ORU in the DonRey this year? I'm sure I read several posts on this board that indicated TU was supposed to be the better team this year.  

From the game I saw K-State play against Northern Colorodo, K-State shot 2-19 from the 3 and 16-33 from the FT line. This team does not box out or play physical. They are young and inexpiernced which ultimately lead to a loss last week. I believe that TU is better and may be even the same as K-State. Their stats are similar to say the least. Now I'm not sure if that was nerves for the young cats or just a bad game. What I do know is that this team is beatable and the eagles could improve to 2-0 by the end of the night!

He didn't say he thought TU was the better team.

He said "Tulsa was supposed to be better."

Which could mean a couple of things:

1.  He thought TU would be better "than ORU"

1.  He thought TU would be better "than THAT" (losing to the likes of an ORU).

2.  He though TU would be "improved from last year" (at least improved enough to beat the likes of ORU).

Anyway you slice it, it again speaks to the general perception among a LOT of opposition fans, local media, and (apparently) some coaches:  losing to ORU is a low-water mark; a sign that your team is not very good.

Which is simply not giving ORU enough credit in those times where the Golden Eagles were actually the better team.

• Upvote 1

ORU will need to be at the top of it's game to win this one tonight.....whipping a Big 12 team on the road is a daunting task....Sunday was a victory but a sloppy one....our guys are not likely to round into top form for a few more weeks.....so TheEagleman can't predict an ORU win at Manhattan tonight....Let's call it something like KSU 81 ORU 72.....Glover leads the Golden Eagles with 22 tonight while Obi and Billbury each chip in 14.....and a check of the TV listings indicates that this one is on FCS Pacific in the Philadelphia area tonight....unfortunately, TheEagleman has to work late shift and will not make it home until perhaps the last 5 minutes of the contest.....let's hope those are the best 5 minutes of the game!.... :eagles:

Final score predictions anyone?

after missing the TU game so badly, i'll hold off on any predictions for awhile :unsure::lol:

Oh, I guess I'll just wait to hear all that "inside information" before venturing my usual "hater" pick...

Otherwise, I might have to rely on silly stuff like this:

Vegas:  no line

CBSSportsline.com: KSU, 78-59

RPIForecast:  KSU -11