14 seed?

orumom

Blue and Huge have been talking about how to get a 14 all day. Here are the highlights?

* Pacific (RPI: 101) must lose the Big West Tournament. (March 8-11)

* Albany (RPI: 128) must lose the America East Tournament to Vermont (RPI: 217) on March 11.

* Delaware State (RPI: 122) must lose the MEAC (March 7-11)

* Southern (RPI: 144) can win the SWAC Tournament, but it would help if someone else did. (March 9-11)

* Montana (RPI: 71) winning the Big Sky could actually help our RPI. Tonight

* Northwestern State (LA) (RPI: 67) and Sam Houston State (RPI: 121) must lose the Southland tournament. Lamar (RPI: 214) and Stephen F. Austin (RPI: 252) are the only two teams left to help us out. Semifinals on March 9.

* Kent St. (RPI: 61), Akron (RPI: 65), Miami (RPI: 74), Ohio (RPI: 97), Northern Illinois (RPI: 119), Buffalo (RPI: 126) can?t win the MAC tournament. No. 6 seed Toledo (RPI: 171) or No. 7 seed Western Michigan (RPI: 194) winning would be huge. Buffalo is the No. 8 seed! Surely they wouldn?t put Buffalo ahead of us if they won the tournament. Quarterfinals on March 9.

More to come?

* - A strong showing by Oklahoma (RPI: 12), Marquette (RPI: 18) and Minnesota (RPI: 82) in their tournaments.

* - No. 2 seed Utah State (RPI: 54) winning the WAC Tournament would be huge. (March 9-11)

* - Memphis needs to win the Conference USA Tournament

* - We need the ranked teams to win their conference tournament and we need the bad teams to win in the weak conferences.

* - Monmouth (156) is the only team with a RPI over ours that is in the tournament so far.

* - Finishing third at the Alaska Shootout could help out. A three point loss to eventual champion Marquette (RPI: 18). Monmouth was the fourth place team (RPI: 154). A win over Southern Cal (RPI: 113) on national television. Southern Illinois (RPI: 31) placing lower than us and them losing to a non-D1.

Honestly at this point it looks like the above things must happen to lock up a 15 seed. A 14 seed is looking like a long shot unless they consider the Tutt injury. Anyone have anything to add??? I really hope that RPI is not the primary focus for seeding.

Not much to add, but where are you getting your rpi numbers? Not that there wrong or anything I just want to go and take a look. Thanks.

Mom, have you and I switched places since last night? I was worried about a 16 seed based purely on RPI, and you had a great post with all the other reasons we would be seeded higher. After looking at some more projections and analysis, I agree, and think we're a very safe 15, with a decent shot at 14. For example, as one poster on the Valpo board noted, if you look at Sagarin ratings, there are quite a few teams below us.

Now you're looking a straight RPI's, and I'm wondering why.

Forget RPI for lower seeding. Tulsa was 64 three years ago and got a 13. The year before that Tulsa was #30 RPI and got a 12 seed.

ash =o)

thanks mom, im going to start looking up how to get a better seed now.

UAB just lost - that might be beneficial to us.

We have 3 tv's on........March Madness is crazy

How would the UAB loss help? Because Memphis is a lock to win C-USA now? The Temple win over GW hurts bad. Could even knock Missouri St. out.

It could keep them from being a bubble team. They were predicted to be an 11 seed & now they may not get in. Now we have to watch & see what happens with Utah State.

If the non-conference teams we lost to (Marquette, Utah State, etc.) keep winning, it still doesn't do us as much good as lower ranked teams from other mid-major type leagues pulling off tourney upsets (i.e. Vermont, Western Michigan, Utah).

We should really be pulling for USC to run the table in LA this weekend and earn the PAC 10's automatic bid.