This must drive you nuts !!!!

rlh

As I was sitting in the airport this morning having a cup of coffee, I was watching Sportscenter. When they got to the ORU victory in the Mid-Con Championship they first showed "the shot" from Bryce Drew against Mississippi in the NCAA in 1998. Personally I thought that was a low blow, but I understand it. However, if I was an ORU fan, I wouldn't be happy about it.

Why would it bother us? I love that clip. The Mid-Con actually did something good for a change. We should be proud of it.

I didn't mind, i always love watching that play. They weren't so much trying to undercut ORU, as much as they were trying to show the last time a mid-con team did anything good, its good press for the mid-con and in turn for our recruiting as a conference....

i know alot of folks will disagree with me, but the only thing i don't like seeing is Pierre Dukes from the corner.

Ok well that one does drive us nuts!!!

Nah... I love the Bryce shot. It's what March Maddness is all about! I hope we're that fortunate. Could go without seeing the Dukes shot for the rest of my life though.

Me too Doc..... a little piece of me is left on the court where he made that shot. That is why last night's win is so sweet.

They BOTH drive me crazy!! I'm not as charitable as mom about "the shot". I'd prefer we would be remembered for OUR OWN accomplishments, not those of our primary rival in the Mid-Con!

Speaking of rivalries, I was talking to the Assistant AD (I think that was his title) for WIU over the weekend, and he was telling me that THEIR chief rival was Valpo. He said it was a great rivalry that had developed over the years, and one that they really enjoyed.

Man, EVERYBODY thinks that Valpo is their chief rival!

Well Valpo won so many conference tourneys and had been beating up on the mid-con long before we even got here. Although brings up a good question, "Who does Valpo think there biggest rival in the conference is?"

At this present time in the conference, I would say that most Valpo fans view the rivalry with ORU as our biggest. However, when the conference was new, it definitely was Western Illinois. We played them in the championship game of the tournament it seemed like every year. Won all of them too. On the women's side, Western is definitely the biggest rival I would think.

As far as the other conference schools thinking we are their biggest rival, I think that's probably pretty accurate. It's really a tribute to what was achieved over a decade of excellance. It will take a while for that to go away. As long as we stay pretty competitive, we will remain the biggest rival in the conference. It took years to build and it will take the same to reverse it.

What drove me nuts was that ESPN chose a Chicago State dunk for their top 10 plays when we won by 13 and made the tournament for the first time in 22 years.

Guest pfsEd
Me too Doc..... a little piece of me is left on the court where he made that shot. That is why last night's win is so sweet.

That's why we stormed the court to go pick up that piece of ourselves from the previous year huh Terry?

I was having this same conversation with friends a while back and they thought that ORU creates a rivalry with Valpo because Valpo has been the conference's best team for years. They suggested that ORU's real rival may be a UMKC or IUPUI because of the intense games with those teams the past two years..

I believe that ORU and Valpo are definitely rivals for a couple of reasons: They're the two schools in the conference with the most basketball history--even though our history has a 22 year gap in it : ). I'm not sure about the other schools, but we seem to have the 2 best fan bases in the conference. The home-court streak. And, no matter what the records are, the games are intense and the temas play like its a championship game. I hope the rivalry only gets better..

As far as the ESPN highlight, I wasnt offended..thats one of my favorite tourney highlights. Its what makes March so great...Also, before they showed the Sun Belt championship, they showed Ark-Little Rock upsetting Notre Dame like 20 years ago..even though it was South Alabama vs. W. Kentucky

Guest EagleBackr

...the Bryce Drew and Pierre Dukes shots were BOTH great plays! I think it's cool the little ol' Mid-Con is creating a heritage of great game winning shots. Sure beats being known for something like recruiting scandals, low academics, etc.

...and Mrs. Smith: rumors of my involvement in something called the "Resource Pool" are unfounded. Office pools are against company policy, although if anyone else is doing a bracket contest at their place of employment; I'm in! But, yes, I did watch the games and as usual I have SEVERAL brilliant observations to share - that is, as long as you and your mob of torch-bearing villagers can pause long enough from trying to "out" me. REQUEST FOR NEW MESSAGE BOARD POLICY ON ANONYMITY: DON'T ASK; DON'T TELL!! :wink:

Good to hear from you Eaglebackr..... I know a lot of people are interested in who you might be and there are all kinds of rumors (Pres Roberts is my favorite). I am in the dark like everyone else.... Doc and I only know your IP address.