2013-14 Southland Preview - NBC

ORUalum

I don't mean to overstate it, but the immediate eligibilty of Drew Wilson is HUGE for this team.

The one area where I thought we'd struggle was in the post. Adding a (likely) starter, with fantastic athleticism and tenacity, to go along side Glover and a plethora of guards, I am excited about this team's chances to win the conference.

That said, I'd have a hard time placing us #1 in the pre-season...

I remember thinking as I watched the guys playing pick-up a few weeks back, "DANG, I wish we had Wilson this year!"

And, now we do!

For that reason (plus Korey Billbury's frighteningly fast maturation since last spring, and a favorable schedule) I'm thinking MUCH more positively about our prospects for this year.

At least, I'm no longer worried about a losing record...

Will the coaches still have a hard time deciding on their starting PG between Bilbury and Jackson (with Singleton sidelined at a crucial time)?

They'll both start in the backcourt.

ORU will have a lot of really good guards....hopefully that means we take better care of the basketball, maximize our possesions and fewer turnovers....nothing frustrated TheEagleman more over the past couple season that to see the Golden Eagles getting the opening tip and then making a lazy pass and turning it over 20 seconds into the game....then 7-8 turnovers in the first 10-12 minutes....we could have won a lot more games the past few years if we protected the ball more....i attribute that to poor guard play and not much leadership on the court....Niles, DBH, Tree, etc....now all are gone....let's see how this group does in 2013-14....gotta keep the turnovers to a miniumum!!!... : :nerd:

i'm just guessing that Word and Singleton will get red shirted.  i think this is a big year for Byford and Kaufman to show something after sitting out most of last year.

What does anyone know about Adrian Webber - 6'5" juco guard who played high school basketball in Muskogee? You have to think he will be in the mix; most coaches won't bring a juco player onto the team to ride the bench.

Muskogee?  So Webber played for my old buddy, Terry Scott?.....and hey, TheEagleman almost forgot about Byford....he could be a serious contributor off the bench.... :nerd:

The Titan thinks this season will go well???!! (Rolls eyes). Bold prediction from a guy who a couple of months ago thought this team was only going to win 10 games. Who's back and forth now?

If you are a juco coming in you are usually expected to be able to step in and play.

I do think Wilson makes a difference for them as they really needed another big badly.

If healthy they are probably top 2 or 3 in conference.

Both point guards are 3rd year Soph so should be ready to go.

Good mix of mid size type of guys which fits their conference perfectly.

May not win many out of conference games as schedule is brutal as usual. Gotta pay the bills.:)

The Titan thinks this season will go well???!! (Rolls eyes). Bold prediction from a guy who a couple of months ago thought this team was only going to win 10 games. Who's back and forth now?

Wow, way to keep up with the discussion.

You remind me of the guy in the Cox commercial who's one answer behind his client's questions in the airport, due to his "slow internet" brain.

So, go read my post again.

Slowly this time.

Move your lips while you read, if it helps.

I explained very clearly three reasons why I have changed my tune:

1.  Drew Wilson is eligible (he wasn't in the summer).

2.  The schedule is easier than expected, due to the unbalanced conference slate and the unexpected addition of non D-1 games.

3.  Billbury has improved exponentially since last March (look up "exponentially" to see what that means).

And, PLEASE note that I'm just talking about the WON-LOSS RECORD, which is not the same as saying they'll be that much better than I originally expected.  I still think this is one of the weaker teams we have had in years.  We will very likely get destroyed at places like Baylor, Wichita, and K-State, and we may even get run out of the gym by merely decent teams at Tulsa and Northwestern State.

But, due to the three factors listed above, I think we now have a reasonable shot at 20 wins in the regular season (though I think something like 18-13 is more likely).

What does anyone know about Adrian Webber - 6'5" juco guard who played high school basketball in Muskogee? You have to think he will be in the mix; most coaches won't bring a juco player onto the team to ride the bench.

I think that "sign-a-juco-to-play-immediately" philosophy really only applies to juco kids who are/were being recruited by other D-1 programs.

If a kid goes to an in-state juco because he's a marginal D-1 player with no other options, and now we're the best (only?) D-1 program to show interest in him, then it's possible (perhaps even likely) that he might not see the floor much.  He may have topped out already just getting here.

That being said, the guy could start, for all I know about him.  I'm just saying:  don't be surprised if he doesn't play, either.  Time wil tell...

Congratulations "Insider", with this post you just became the first recipient of the newly minted “Lakes Jr. Medallionâ€.  The Medallion is awarded to an individual who writes a post that is of such a nature that it immediately brings to mind the infamous “LakesBisonâ€.

I am aware that Lakes was before your time so I will briefly describe him:

He was a vertically challenged NDSU fan who appeared to suffer from “Little Man Syndromeâ€.  He had a room temperature IQ coupled with the analytical ability of a hormonally imbalanced female in the midst of her monthly cycle.  Given his make-up, it follows that he believed that his percipient posts would qualify him for MENSA.

Welcome to the “Order of ‘The Lakes’â€. 

And before you ask - yes, you are eligible to be awarded another Medallion in the future.

Lakes Bison...lol...who could forget that hammer....Doesn't ORU insider know...NEVER prod the sleeping bear......well said, OT!..... :nerd: