Sign in to follow this  
ORUJason

Doug Bernier Back in the Major Leagues

ORUJason

Doug Bernier was called up by the Minnesota Twins to the major league club during the all-star break.  The Twins demoted 3 players to the minor leagues prior to the all-star break, and have holes at several positions (including the possibility that they may trade Justin Morneau for prospects, so there is definitely an opportunity for a utility player like Doug with the Twins.

I remember in 2008 when he was called up to the Rockies, but had no idea he only played in 2 games, going 0-4.  He was a standout player for the Tulsa Drillers for several years, and at the age of 33, this could be his last big opportunity.  I hope he makes the most of it!

http://www.ksby.com/news/santa-maria-native-doug-bernier-headed-back-to-big-leagues-with-twins/#_ 

The call-ups of catcher-outfielder Chris Herrmann and 33-year-old utility infielder Doug Bernier were announced Sunday. Bernier, who had four at-bats with the 2008 Colorado Rockies, had to be added to the 40-man roster.

Bernier, who played exclusively shortstop for the Red Wings, was hitting .295 with 23 extra-base hits in 302 at-bats for Rochester. He bats right-handed.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_23659861/minnesota-twins-shake-up-roster-three-demotions?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com

ORUJason

Oops!  I guess I accidentally posted this twice.  I'm not sure how to delete an accidental post.

ORUJason

Here are some kind words from a teammate of Doug Bernier's at AAA Rochester Red Wings, from Chris Colabello, who was also called up to the Twins around the same time as Doug Bernier.

It was a bit of a weird time as he waited to see who would get the open roster spot. But when he first learned Bernier, a friend, was one of the guys headed to the big leagues, there was no hiding his emotion.

It was brought up to Colabello that he was sharing this time in the majors with Bernier, a friend of his.

"I just got chills when you said that to me," Colabello said. "I think when I found out Doug was coming up, I was probably just as excited if not more excited than when I found out I was coming up the first time. He's everything. He's a great teammate and a baseball player. He's a guy I want in my foxhole. Being able to share it with him is something I'll never forget."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_23693281/minnesota-twins-recall-chris-colabello?source=pkg

ORUJason

Doug made it into today's Twins game in the 8th inning replacing the 3rd baseman Trevor Plouffe who had struck out 6 times in a row over the last 2 games. Doug managed to draw a walk in his only at-bat.

Bogus Smith

Doug has gone 5-for-8 over the first five games since joining the Twins, hitting at a .625 pace.  He has always had a great glove, and they seem to be using him in late game defensive replacements; however, I'm hopeful that he can continue to show a hot bat (.300 or better) to gain more playing time.  Good start so far for Doug to hopefully stick with the team through September.

ORUTerry

As anemic as the Twins have been at the plate, you would think they would Doug a chance given his hot start. Sometimes I don't get how baseball managers/general managers think. More intuitive than analytical.

ORUalum

i think you may have been looking at AAA numbers Bogus or for a different player.

ESPN stats shows him with one at bat (BB) so far....still seeking his first MLB hit.

however, he is starting tonight and is hitting in the two hole versus the Angels.

ORUJason

The Minnesota Twins manager is Ron Gardenhire, he is originally from Okmulgee and normally makes it back to Oklahoma during the offseason.  Last year he also gave Mike Hollimon (a former ORU shortstop) an opportunity in spring training to win the shortstop position.  While it didn't work out for Mike, I would expect that Gardenhire is aware of the quality of the players that have historically come out of the ORU program.

Bogus Smith
i think you may have been looking at AAA numbers Bogus or for a different player.

ESPN stats shows him with one at bat (BB) so far....still seeking his first MLB hit.

however, he is starting tonight and is hitting in the two hole versus the Angels.

You're right, Alum....he only has one at-bat (a walk) and one tonight (fly out to CF).  The Minnesota Twins website I was looking at (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=448674#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=1&season=2013&level='ALL') showed Doug with not only 8 at-bats, but also time with the Rockies over several years along with his duty in the minors those years.  I think he only played a short stint with the Rockies which is shown now.

Sorry for the misinformation, but hopefully Doug makes the most of his game today.

TrueBlue82

Third at bat, with a Double to left field and an RBI! 

• Upvote 1

Bogus Smith
Third at bat, with a Double to left field and an RBI! 

That will help keep you in the lineup!  Go Doug!!

ORUalum

ORUTerry

Thanks for posting the video. Good for Doug - let's hope he gets to stay up there and show the Twins what he is capable of. Nice that the players took the ball out of play for him to keep as a momento.

ORUJason

The Twins ended up winning the game 4-3, so his RBI was the game winner. Way to go!

ORUalum

Doug started at 2B and got a hit and stolen base off Jared Weaver who 2 hit the Twins.  if he can can hit in the .250s or .260s and flash good leather, he should be able to stick around as a utility infielder.

ORUJason

Doug has played in 3 straight games including starting the last two. He has been brought in as a pinch runner, has stolen 2 bases, has 3 RBI, has been caught in a run down between 1st and 2nd, and scored one time by drawing a walk, being sacrificed to 2nd base, advancing on a wild pitch and then being driven in by a base hit. He also has had a few defensive gems, has been brought in toward the end of games as a defensive replacement, and is currently batting .261.

The Twins are also 4-2 in games in which he has had more than one at bat.

Ron Gardenhire likes to have reliable defensive infielders even at the expense of hitting, to a degree, and I think he has a decent chance to stick with the Twins.

theeagleman5

Sounds like Doug will be with Minnesota for the rest of the season......too bad the Twins stink....but at least the ORU kid is getting his shot....TheEagleman is glad to see it!.... :clap:

ORUJason

Doug Bernier has been playing in 1-2 games per week.  He started tonight's game, went 1-4, had an RBI and a run scored.  He played SS tonight and was on the front end of both of the double plays that were turned in the game.  His batting average is .245.  The Twins traded Justin Morneau to the Pirates yesterday and called up a catcher rather than a 1st baseman to take his place.  This may indirectly mean that Doug Bernier may get a little more playing time, since they may be shuffling players around the infield and Doug can play 2B, SS, or 3B.  

However, since the Twins season is in the dumper, they may also give more playing time to some of the younger players who have been recently called up from the minor leagues, so they can see what they've got.

ORUJason

Also, here is a link to an article about Doug Bernier's ability to lay down a safety squeeze bunt. At the end of the article, it mentions that the Twins traded Jamey Carroll and have found his "small ball" replacement in Doug Bernier.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2013/08/25/minnesota-twinsights-doug-berniers-big-day-of-bunts/

ORUJason

The Twins season is now over (actually it was over a long time ago) and Doug Bernier is going to have minor elbow surgery.

The Twins retained Ron Gardenhire (manager) and gave him a guaranteed 2-year contract.  Since Gardenhire is familiar with Doug and brought him into many games as a pinch runner or defensive replacement, I would think that the retention of Gardenhire could only increase Bernier's chances of making the team next year.

Doug ended up hitting .226 with 5 RBI in 53 at-bats over 32 games.  Many of his appearances were in the 8th or 9th inning, and I would think it is a little more difficult to get comfortable at the plate when you may only get 1 at-bat per game vs. starting a game and having 4-5 at-bats.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_24201302/twins-doug-bernier-have-elbow-surgery

EaglesFan

DOUG BERNIER'S "Profile" in John Feinstein's latest book, "Where Nobody Knows Your Name:  Life in the Minor Leagues of Baseball" ... This book came out in February of this year, and I picked up the AUDIO Book version to listen to while I was working-out.   I'm a great fan of Feinstein, as his insightful books on "behind the scenes" life in basketball, baseball, golf and other sports are always a "good read."   [Examples:  "A Season on the Brink:  A Year with Bob Knight and the Indiana Hoosiers," "A Good Walk Spoiled:  Days and Nights on the PGA Tour," "The Last Amateurs:  Playing for Glory and Honor in Division 1 College Basketball."]

Anyway, it was a "pleasant surprise" to find that Feinstein had chosen to profile Doug Bernier's career midway through the book (primarily in chapter 12).   In the book, Feinstein writes that no one dreams of playing Triple-A baseball.  They dream of playing in the Major Leagues.   In his recent book, he shares nine unique experiences of life in the minor leagues from players, managers, umpires, and pitchers.  Doug Bernier get his primary story in Chapter 12.

Here is a short excerpt from the book where he refers to Doug's time at ORU: 

"He was a pitcher in high school but figured out that a short right-hander who couldn't throw 90 miles an hour wasn't going to go very far, so he focused on being an infielder.  He went to junior college for two years and then ended up at Oral Roberts.

'I had interest from some of the big-time baseball schools like Miami and Texas,' he said.  'But I knew I probably wouldn't play much there.  I didn't know a lot about Oral Roberts except they apparently had really good baseball facilities and a pretty good team, and the school wasn't in California.  I figured, Why Not?"

Of course, when he arrived in Tulsa, he got some serious culture shock.  He wasn't prepared for the giant bronze hands formed in prayer in the middle of the campus.  He was also caught off guard when he walked into his first class in a T-shirt and shorts and realized everyone else was wearing a shirt and tie.  'Went to Walmart and bought a clip-on that afternoon," he said.  "Wore it every day for the next two years."

"He played well enough to believe he was going to be drafted by a major-league team when he graduated in June of 2002.  The major-league baseball draft has 50 rounds, meaning at least 1,500 players are drafted (some teams are given bonus pick, which adds to the number each year).  Bernier didn't make the cut."

ANYWAY, as an undrafted free agent, his path to Triple-A, and then brief stints with the Rockies and the Twins is detailed in the book.  His motivations, struggles, successes, and ups-and-downs are summarized by Feinstein in a way that Bernier should be very proud of.  As a baseball fan, if you have wondered what life is like in the minor leagues -- especially at AAA level -- this is a very good read (or listen!)   Having an ORU-ex profiled, was a special treat for this fan!

Here is a link to an article about Doug and the Feinstein book:

http://www.rd.com/culture/doug-bernier-baseball/#ixzz39g73Xwi3

By the way, he continues his 13-year trip through the Minor Leagues this year with Rochester of the AAA ... Hitting .289 in 99 games this year, with 5 HR's, 2-Triples, 20-Doubles & 47 RBI's.   He is a stellar defensive infielder, fast, a base stealer, and apparently a great influence on younger players on the teams he plays on....

ORUJason

Thanks for the synopsis of the chapter about Doug. It is good to see that he is hitting .289 at the AAA level. If he could have hit .289 in the majors, with all the other things he does well, he would still be on an MLB roster. If he could get that average above .300, maybe he could still get a late season , injury replacement, call-up. He is performing well enough to get another opportunity to make an MLB roster next year if he can find the right situation.