2013/14 Roster

ORU GRAD

SortArrow.gif Name SortArrow.gif Pos. SortArrow.gif Ht. SortArrow.gif Wt. SortArrow.gif Yr. SortArrow.gif Hometown (Prev School) 0   Singleton, Jabbar G 6-0 190 Fr. New Orleans, La. (Brother Martin HS) 1   Word, Bobby G 6-4 170 Fr. Lancaster, Texas (Lancaster HS) 3   Byford, Corbin F 6-6 215 RFr. Velma, Okla. (Velma Alma HS) 4   Mason, David G 5-9 160 Sr. Tulsa, Okla. (Jenks HS) 5   Conley, Brandon F 6-6 225 So. Ft. Worth, Texas (Fossil Ridge HS) 11   Glover, Shawn F 6-7 215 Sr. Dallas, Texas (Cedar Hill HS/Utah) 12   Jackson, D.J. G 5-11 175 RSo. Kansas City, Mo. (Archbishop O'Hara HS) 21   White, Josh F 6-6 210 Jr. Fort Worth, Texas (Keller Central HS/Rhema Bible College) 22   Webber, Adrion F 6-5 210 Jr. Muskogee, Okla. (Muskogee HS/Carl Albert State College) 23   Lee, Dederick G 6-2 165 Fr. Clarksville, Ark. (Clarksville HS) 31   Kaufman, Jorden C 7-0 245 So. Andover, Kan. (Andover Central HS) 34   Henderson, Denell F 6-7 235 Jr. Demascus, Ark. (Guy-Perkins HS/Connors State College) 35   Wilson, Drew F 6-7 220 RSo. Tulsa, Okla. (East Central HS/Missouri State)    Billbury, Korey G 6-2 200 RSo. Tulsa, Okla. (Booker T. Washington HS)    Emegano, Obi G 6-4 215 RSo. Edmond, Okla. (Memorial HS/Western Illinois)

I thought Kaufman  would be a redshirt Freshman? Guess not. While at the Sutton Camp, I talked with a couple players and they are very positive about this year. They seem to think that Drew will be active this year. That would be good.

I thought Kaufman  would be a redshirt Freshman? Guess not. While at the Sutton Camp, I talked with a couple players and they are very positive about this year. They seem to think that Drew will be active this year. That would be good.

Kaufman played in 11 games last year, but for only 73 minutes total (in contrast, seldom-used Jake Lliteras played in 20 games for 139 minutes, while workhorse Warren Niles played in all 35 games for a whopping 1235 minutes).  Fellow freshman Corbin Byford played in just 3 games before shutting down due to an injury, and is still listed as a freshman on the same roster.

Here's hoping Jorden's percentage of games played last season (31%) did not cost him a year of eligibility.   The guy would otherwise appear to be a textbook case for a medical hardship year.

We have one player over 6-7 and he is a sophomore with little experience coming off a major injury......ORU had better be very fast and be able to hit some outside shots....not sure we will be much of a rebounding team..... :sweat:

Rebounding is not just about size - it is about position and desire. One of the best rebounders in ORU history was Rocky Walls - who was a lanky, 6'7".

Rebounding is not just about size - it is about position and desire. One of the best rebounders in ORU history was Rocky Walls - who was a lanky, 6'7".

Yes, but Rocky was helped by the fact a very large Blake Moses was clogging the paint at the same time.

Show me a guy who gets a ton of rebounds, and I will bet he plays along with another decent-sized guy who either collects his own fair share, or keeps the other team's big man from getting to the glass.

Good rebounding is a team effort; the guy who ultimately gathers the carom benefits from the other four guys keeping their respective man off the boards, and especially from another space-eater on the opposite block.

My point:  effort or not, you can't be undersized at virtually every position and expect to be a great rebounding team.  It's just too simple for the opponent to block out the one "somewhat-big" guy you might have.

I generally agree with you, but I still think Walls collected a lot of those rebounds separate from Blake Moses. His rebounding did not decrease when Blake was injured and was out of the lineup. Walls was tenacious on the boards and seemed to have an innate sense of where the ball would come down. Moses got his rebounds from being a space eater - certainly not from his athleticism. I think he had a 2 inch vertical leap.

Our frontcourt players consist of:

Jorden Kaufman at 7'0"

Shawn Glover at 6'7"

Denell Henderson at 6'7"

Drew Wilson at 6'7"

Brandon Conley at 6'6"

Corbin Byford at 6'6"

We need to execute block outs and be aggressive on the boards. As OT mentions, we will also need to work together - as a team - to generate rebounds.

The only 'space eater' is Kaufman.

A look at the NW State (conference favorite) roster shows the following frontcourt roster:

Frazier at 6'8"

Hicks at 6'7"

Williams at 6'7"

Adams at 6'7"

Adams at 6'7"

King at 6'7"

The only 'space eater' is Kaufman.

Henderson is a pretty big ol' dude - at least, he ain't skinny.

thumbs_img_1905.jpg

We'll see!

i just want to see ORU have everyone eligible/healthy.  it seems like the last few years between grades, injury, and poor talent evaluation ORU has only had 6 or 7 D1 players at times.

we saw with the NW State line shifts you are not going to beat them with a thin bench.

I can't agree more with ORUalum! We will need everyone to be healthy this year, physically and academically. For the past couple of years we have lost guys to health and grades. In order to be a strong team with a storm bench we will need everyone this year!

Denell Henderson does look like a real Widebody....he could be somebody to watch....we need that kind of size and girth under the basket.....TheEagleman agrees that it's not all about height....the best rebounder in ORU history was arguably Eddie Woods back in the early 1970;s....he was only 6-7 but could jump thru the roof.....he played like a 7 footer.....I once saw him pick a quarter off the top of the backboard down in the practice gym at Mabee Center....and I believe he is one of the only players in NCAA history to grab 30 rebounds in back to back games...... :nerd:

How did I forget Eddie Woods. I have seen videos of him in a few games. He was skinny (who wasn't) but boy could he jump!

Eddie Woods is one of TheEaglemans' favorite ORU players of all time....a very quiet guy....truly a man of few words....but his actions spoke loud on the court....he was Coach Trickey's  intimidator.....he was 6-7 maybe 205 pounds....but Woods could sky with the best of them.....despite being 5 inches shorter....he actually could out jump 7-0 David Vaughn who was our center in 1972-73 and Eddie took all the center jumps.....I was told by friends on that team that Woods was under orders from Ken Trickey to goaltend any shot down low from our opponent early in the game just as a measure of intimidation...just one time.....to let them know that he would be there all night....and Eddie always was....he was quiet but played mean....I highly doubt that there has been a better shot blocker/rebounder in ORU roundball history......he only averaged maybe 10 points a game but he rarely got less than 10 boards....and I believe in the 1971-72 season (pre-Eagleman) he grabbed 30 rebounds in back to back games and at the time was the first player in NCAA history to do that.....TheEagleman will never forget a nationally televised game in early 1973 between ORU and SW Louisiana (now LA-Lafayette) at Mabee Center....both team were ranked in the Top 20 and the game featured two of the top ten scores in the nation Richard Fuqua and Bo Lamar.....early in the game there was a scuffle under the basket in front of the student section between Wood and the SW LA. center.....they actually threw some elbows and punches but nothing landed.....Oral Roberts was sitting in a chair at the time in front of the student section and OR ran onto the court to help the officials break up the fight.....the crowd went nuts.....amazing that Oral would jump in the fray like that but then again, OR was no midget at 6-4 himself.....we ended up losing that game but Eddie showed his toughness not backing down to the bigger center from SW LA.....I wonder what ever happened to the Eddie?........many would disagree but he really should be considered for the ORU Hall of Fame....Eddie was the heart of that team.....he gets my vote..... :nerd:

• 2 weeks later...

any update on Denell Henderson?  has he been seen on campus yet?

• 1 month later...

Well....Wilson DOES have a number.....35.....who is the best ORU player ever to wear #35.....Al Boswell?..... :nerd: