Golloway to Auburn

ORUalum

...with both Wichita State and OU looking for new head coaches, i wonder if Coach Walton will get a look.

Good luck, Sunny......any chance he will give us a few games with the Tigers in the next couple of years?......nah.......... |(

...with both Wichita State and OU looking for new head coaches, i wonder if Coach Walton will get a look.

Depends on whether he his course work at OSU this year to earn his degree.  Most schools won't sign a coach without a degree.

how do you work at a university for 14 years and not finish your degree?  head scratcher???

how do you work at a university for 14 years and not finish your degree?  head scratcher???

Probably never thought he would need/use it.  ORU's baseball facilities are as good as any in the country - including OSU - plus you're the premier sport on campus (you only have to compete with men's basketball and you're in the NCAA post-season tournament every year). The only real drawback to ORU is that it has rules that student-athletes have to adhere to (sort of) in a society that repels against anyone telling another person that they are doing something wrong or deficiently (i.e., the "if it feels good, do it" generation).. 

When OSU opened up, you have to believe that the priority for acquiring the sheepskin became a requirement, both personally and professionally.

Is Walton's son playing with him at OSU?....I believe the kid had originally committed to ORU, right?..... :nerd:

Is Walton's son playing with him at OSU?....I believe the kid had originally committed to ORU, right?..... :nerd:

Yes, Donnie started at 2B for the Pokes (and would have started at SS for ORU had he stayed with Goro going to second).  Donnie played in 55 of the 60 OSU games and batted .287 making only six errors in the field.- compared to .260 and 9 errors from Matt Brandy, or .258 and 16 errors by Goro.  If Goro is a 27th round draft pick, then Donnie should be in the top 10 or top 5 by time he is a junior. 

Walton going to OSU was just a bad thing for ORU all the way around.  :n:

Not a Sunny fan at all; had a number of ridiculous run-ins with him during his stint at ORU, including the time he challenged me to a fight after I questioned the wisdom of his criticism of ORU baseball fans in an alumni magazine article.

A recent example of "Sunny being Sunny":  a couple of weeks ago, one of his better players Tweeted after getting picked in the 2nd Round of the MLB draft that he was "thrilled to be a member of (New York) Mets nation".

Sunny, apparently still stinging from OU's 2-0 opening game loss to LSU in the Super Regionals, fired back a response at midnight that same night, "I thought you played for the Sooners?  BTW, we lost tonight!".  Then, within an hour or two, deleted his Tweet, but not before it got picked up and re-Tweeted by quite a few folks.

When I saw that Tweet, I couldn't help but think how two-faced it was of Sunny to criticize a 20-year-old kid just for being excited about realizing his major league dreams, since I recall Sunny secretly chasing several job openings in the midst of ORU's postseason runs in years past (Kentucky, Hawaii, plus a few other schools who's names I can't recall).  It seemed like the guy was ALWAYS looking for another job while he was here, when he wasn't complaining about his salary, his budget, the facilities, etc.

And, then - whadya know? - Sunny announces just seven days after the Super Regional that he's taking his talents to the plains of Alabama.  Can't help but wonder how far his negotiations had progressed with Auburn while he simultaneously questioned his star player's loyalties in a social media forum.

So typical.  Good luck in the SEC, Sunny - and good riddance from the local college baseball scene.

FYI, Walton did finish his degree at ORU. He's a good man. I hope OU does look at him.

Happy for Sunny. He was always good to our family and we enjoyed his time at ORU.  It looks like he had 650,000 reasons to accept the position at Auburn.http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/auburns_sunny_golloway_to_be_s.html

I don't think anyone said that Rob was a bad man for going to OSU - he is a great guy and ORU misses him (even as much as I like Ryan Folmar).  I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the degree part.  If it's a diploma like the one earned by Richard Roberts, it may be a little suspect.  :-D

If Rob earned his degree with the hours he was deficient in his first year back at his alma mater, OU should take a look at Rob and Rob should take a look at OU.  Being the #3 coach (behind Josh and his brother's money and the former Associate Head Coach of a CWS champion at the other OSU - Oregon State), I'm not sure that Rob got what he bargained for when he was the second OSU coach hired.  I have to believe that once you have run your own show for nine years, you sometimes miss calling the shots.  Rob may be stuck until his son goes pro in a couple of years.

As for Sunny, I certainly don't blame him for taking the money and running.  It will be interesting to see how long Sunny's personality works with the Tiger Nation.  I have observed similar run-ins as what OT describes and that sort of stuff won't last long in Auburn if you aren't winning.  There will be a lot of pressure on him to produce - and quickly.  In Alabama, the south never lost the War.

Golloway sounds like he was the Roy D. Mercer of the ORU athletic dept.  "Just how big a boy are you?"

A source told the Transcript Friday night that Dallas Baptist coach Dan Heefner will be OU’s initial target. Heefner led the Patriots to a Super Regional in 2011 and also has won five straight games against the Sooners since 2011.

Golloway was making $385,000 plus bonuses on his current contract at OU. There were still two years remaining on the deal.

Golloway sounds like he was the Roy D. Mercer of the ORU athletic dept.  "Just how big a boy are you?"

Coach Golloway is a winner.  Winners have expectations of themselves and those they manage that are different than losers or those who just go with the flow.  He is focused and disciplined, and because of his desire to win, may on occasion allow emotions to surface negatively. He's human and so am I, so I'm not going to throw stones. Obviously Auburn isn't treating him like a second choice or disrespecting his winning record in his new contract.

When we first started following ORU baseball, I had just had a hip replacement & Mike was in high school. Walking, as it still is, was difficult for much distance. When we arrived at our hotel, Sunny was in the lobby and met us with a parking pass, as he did another fan with mobility issues.  We weren't anyone and he didn't have to do it. His kindness and appreciation that we had traveled to the tournament. won my heart. Unfortunately fans aren't always appreciated. Over a period of 14 years, at ORU and OU, he has continued to be gracious to our family, a consistency that I find admirable.  I doubt if I can change anyone else's perception, but I can assure you, I will always admire Coach Golloway and appreciate the time he spent at ORU and OU.

orumom, please know that I hold you and yours with the utmost esteem, and I will never forget you being there for me and my mom when times were dark a couple of years ago, but this is just one topic where we must agree to disagree!

Just saw this on Twitter, from OU standout Dillon Overton:

@OvertonDillon: @coach_G29 thanks for being two faced the entire time I knew you. Lied to our whole team and never had any of our backs. The program made me better ...which is something you couldn't do. I hope all the talking behind my back to my teammates comes back to you in some way ...You really disappointed me and all my teammates. Good luck at Auburn.

That little diatribe has already been retweeted and favorited over 100 times, which is a huge response. Other players have joined in, so far all in agreement.

It appears that ol' Sunny is simply a polarizing figure - even between friends on the ORU message board!

In his entire time at ORU, he never said one nice thing to me. And, I was working every home hame during his tenure at 81st & Lewis.

Take that for what it's worth.

Wow.....Sunny sounds like a real tool......so his entire team at OU couldn't stand him?....he will have his hands full in the pressure cooker that is Auburn baseball in the SEC......no easy task.....don't think that they have been much good since the Bo Jackson days....... :nerd:

The evidence seems to indicate that, if you were a big fan of his - either in the stands, or in the media - Sunny could be pretty charming, if not a bit cliche'.

But, if he viewed your station or abilities as subservient to his (a player on his team, an athletic staff member, an oppostion coach, a critical member of the media, etc.), he was rarely impressed, often dismissive, and occasionally abrasive.

John Hoover had an excellent article in the Tulsa World a couple of days ago, detailing how Joe Castiglione tried for years to basically run Sunny off by not giving him decent raises.  It said that a couple of years ago, after Sunny took the team to the World Series, he was "rewarded" with a $5000 raise, which is the equivalent of some us getting about a $500-a-year increase in salary.  (In comparison, OU football offensive coordinator Josh Heupel got a $100K raise this past season, after what most would consider a mediocre 2012 campaign.)

Sunny had to have seen the writing on the wall after these slaps in the face:  "They aren't going to fire me, but they don't want me here, either."  By staying, he must have either thought he could win his way onto a bigger increase by shaming his AD into action, or was simply unable to find a high-paying gig like Auburn to move to until now.

At any rate, OU would be doing well to sign the coach from Dallas Baptist:  he has owned the Sooners in their last few encounters, much as he has the Golden Eagles recently.  He seems like a real winner, and a true class act.

Regardless of who Joe C. hires, I would not be in the least bit surprised if OU STARTS their new guy at more money than Sunny ever made in his nine years there, as one final "Up yours" to Golloway....

So Auburn watched OU get absolutely demolished by LSU in the Super Regionals and thought- "Lets make this guy the 2nd highest paid coach in the SEC"?