Taylor Cooper Requests Transfer

SOLO_Gold

If she wants to go she can go. ORU can't stop her. But it is important to send a message to other players that when they make a commitment, they should keep it. Nearly every other D1 program would and should do the same thing.

If tampering is involved, I am highly irritated. But if it's a matter of her not "fulfilling" her commitment, I'm okay with that. Not happy, but okay. The bottom line is the school doesn't have to commit 4 years to her, but the SA is expected to commit 4 years to the school. 

The school/coaching staff has to be in a position of strength in order to maintain order and prevent the SA from running the show.

Coaches often have to light a fire under SAs in order to get them to do what they are supposed to do (practicing, working out, attending class, being on time, following team rules, etc.). Basically playing time and the possibility that they could lose a scholarship are the only leverage that coaches have over players.

Very telling to me that The Daily Oklahoman --and not the Tulsa World -- is the news outlet keeping this story alive.

Yep. But, I would grant a release, but restrict it, as is normally done. No school on next year's schedule, No D-1 school in Oklahoma.

No ill will toward her. I am sure she is a nice person and I genuinely wish her the best.

Any SA who stands out as a freshman at ORU is bound to get approached by other schools about transfering.

Caleb Green was outright recruited by Kelvin Sampson and OU following his freshman campaign, but he and his father Larry quashed that business pretty quickly.

It comes down to the character of the SA - and his or her family - to honor their commitment to the school that provided the SA his/her platform to shine in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Not to be hardnosed, but after her comment publically about our athletics and academics, I would not give her a release.  She is free to drop out and pay her way at another institution next year and in the process sit-out a year.  However, she made a commitment to us and it does have consequences.  If we are going to give her a release, it would be conditioned on her not going to any other D-1 program in either Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Kansas or Missouri and certainly not any D-1 program in the Southland or otherwise on our schedule next year.  If she transferred in high school and now wants to do the same with us, she needs to learn that a commitment on her part means something.

Also, by doing the restriction you will find out quickly whether or not an instate D-1 program is "tampering" with one of our athletes.

• Upvote 1

Very telling to me that The Daily Oklahoman --and not the Tulsa World -- is the news outlet keeping this story alive.

according to his bio, the author covered high school sports prior to this year so there may be an existing relationship with the family.  on the other hand, it looks like he moved to covering OU football and OU women's basketball this year.

as to her putting ORU on blast to the Daily Oklahoman, i chalk that up to her being a teenager and not thinking about how that would be taken.  it was a slap to her coaches and professors, hopefully she will clarify her comments upon receiving her release.

like Voice said, i wish nothing but the best for her wherever she ends up. 

it just makes you more thankful for the likes of Caleb Green, Kevi Luper, DoMo, etc.

• Upvote 1

Not to be hardnosed, but after her comment publically about our athletics and academics, I would not give her a release.  She is free to drop out and pay her way at another institution next year and in the process sit-out a year.  However, she made a commitment to us and it does have consequences.  If we are going to give her a release, it would be conditioned on her not going to any other D-1 program in either Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Kansas or Missouri and certainly not any D-1 program in the Southland or otherwise on our schedule next year.  If she transferred in high school and now wants to do the same with us, she needs to learn that a commitment on her part means something.

Also, by doing the restriction you will find out quickly whether or not an instate D-1 program is "tampering" with one of our athletes.

Taking such a stand would not be out of the ordinary; most of the large conference schools have restrictions about transferring within the conference/state/region/etc.

For all we know, something similar has already been impressed upon her, but she and and family are choosing to couch it with the media as "ORU not giving her a release".

It may be that ORU is just not giving her the particular release they all want.

I guess if she wanted out bad enough, dhshe could simply break the honor code and get kicked out of school

I guess if she wanted out bad enough, dhshe could simply break the honor code and get kicked out of school

Works every time . . .

Works every time . . .

unless things have changed since i attended, not for athletes :-D:eagles::-D

unless things have changed since i attended, not for athletes :-D:eagles::-D

Haha!!  I had specific individuals in mind.  Maybe I should have said, works with certain individuals in certain situations. 

Here is what I don't understand......... You let the following players transfer within the last 12 months; Delaney Scrivner, Amber Carver, Mariah Miles, Cristal Turner, Ieva Eida and 3 players on the current roster (which I won't mention names just in case it isn't public info yet) but why not let Taylor Cooper transfer if she wants to transfer. 

As mentioned in a previous post, an athlete is only guaranteed one year at a time from the institution but in return they are supposed to promise four years to the institution?  Just doesn't seem right.

Fact is, they don't have to release her.  Should she choose to leave and go to another D1 school, she would have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility, making her next available playing season her junior year of eligibilty instead of if they were to release her she would simply have to sit out a year and her next available year of eligibility would be her soph. year of eligibilty.  So either way, she can leave if she should choose.

She could also go play JUCO next season and not have to sit out and then transfer anywhere she wanted to and play immediately the following season.

Sounds to me like this season wasn't everything is was made out to be, at least in coopers eyes.  She certainly put the school and women's basketball program on "blast" in the Daily Oklahoman.  I would be willing to bet, there is a lot more to this story that the athletic department doesn't want out in the air, and I would be willing to bet that Taylor will be granted a release when it all comes down to it!

Sounds like some individuals or maybe the athletic department as a whole are taking this very personally!

Best of luck Taylor, it was great to watch you play this past season!

She would not lose a year of eligibility because next year would count as her redshirt year. None of those other players you mentioned had possible interest from other D1 programs but Taylor certainly would, and so there is a hesitation to grant her release when there is the possibility of other D1 programs tampering/recruiting her.

Those other players you mentioned would receive more playing time by dropping down a level in competition, so the motivation to transfer and likely still have a scholarship from an NAIA or Div 2 or 3 school is a good option.

However, when you have had a great freshman year, start every game, will probably be the face of the program for the next 3 years, went to the NCAA tournament in your first year, have your schooling paid for, are receiving great instruction from a supportive coaching staff, live less than a 2 hour drive from your family so they can attend all your games, and still decide this isn't the place for you, then yes it seems suspicious and ORU should not simply issue an open release.

Whatever decision they make will set a precedent and send a message to other players on the team and other D1 schools in the region as well.

If a coach is diligent in ALL his/her recruits, you don't have TONS of turnover in the roster year in and year out.

Over the past 10-12 years, we've had TONS of roster turnover. Players that were brought in and never completed 4 years at ORU.

I expect those numbers to start to decline. I am going to hold my tongue, beyond that.

It may very well decline as u say voice, but something with this years staff wasn't as it was made to be with cooper! And all of this who says cooper was mistis first successful recruit when she had to re recruit her....... That isn't working out so well now is it? Don't get me wrong I'd live for cooper to stay and be happy doing so but after all that is out, I don't see that happening