Taylor Cooper Requests Transfer

SOLO_Gold

i'm surprised ORU would deny a release.  i wonder if they suspect tampering from another school (ala the Tim Gill and Rocky Walls drama with Arkansas).

i hope they work it out and she stays, but you can't keep someone if they want to leave.  i would think she would have been the star player for the next three years.

(moderator -- please delete my duplicate thread...apologies)

I heard the same rumor yesterday as well!!! Sure would like to be a fly on the wall!!! What in the he k is going on behind closed doors to lose our best player!??????? Unreal!

Why not release her? If she doesn't want to be there, why make her? CRAZY!!'

Hope old timer doesn't chime in on this one

You don't grant a player a release or they could transfer and be eligible to play immediately. If someone wants to leave your program after making a commitment to your school and then breaking it, then you force them to have to sit out a year when they transfer. I hope this is only a rumor.

• Upvote 1

You don't grant a player a release or they could transfer and be eligible to play immediately. If someone wants to leave your program after making a commitment to your school and then breaking it, then you force them to have to sit out a year when they transfer. I hope this is only a rumor.

i think any athlete can transfer (w/ or w/out a release) and must sit out. i believe the release allows them to go on scholarship at the new school.  otherwise, without a release they must pay their own way for a year.

TU had this situation with their star guard last year.  they denied his transfer initially and then ultimately gave a partial release, excluding schools they believed had tampered.  but he could have still went to the schools they would not give a release to if he was willing to pay his own way for a year.

Typically a release is denied when a student-athlete and/or her family fails to handle their end of the situation properly. There are certain steps that must be taken and rules which must be followed. The school isn't obligated to release the S-A just because the student wants it.

I have no inside info in this particular case. Just my hunch that somewhere Taylor and her family dropped the ball or felt like the rules didn't apply to them.

I stand corrected because ORUAlum is correct. In basketball all transferring athletes have to sit out for 1 year regardless of the reason for the transfer.

There is a lot of interesting info related to NCAA transfers at this link:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2012/May/Get+the+facts+about+transfers

This would be really bad news if it's true....losing Kevi and Jaci to graduation is bad enough....but if ORU loses Cooper....well, we could be in for some tough times in 2013-14...... :sweat:

I heard the same rumor yesterday as well!!! Sure would like to be a fly on the wall!!! What in the he k is going on behind closed doors to lose our best player!??????? Unreal!

Why not release her? If she doesn't want to be there, why make her? CRAZY!!'

Hope old timer doesn't chime in on this one

OldTimer's account on orusports.com is no longer active. 

Maybe those theories regarding his true identity hit a little too close for comfort.

Or, maybe since whichever senior he might be related to is now done, he has decided to pack bags, too.

Whatever.

But, since he's not around to ruffle feathers anymore, I will instead take issue with your statements regarding Taylor Cooper being our "best player" returning next year..

She's not - Sarah Shelton is. 

Hard to find tall, athletic, experienced post players who can score AND play defense.

Might argue that Cooper, on the other hand, has already topped out athletically, though there's no doubt she had some stellar moments this year as a freshman.

But, in the big scheme of things, she might not be as hard to replace in the long run as a more athletic player would be.  Just sayin'...

So if Taylor Cooper is denied an appeal to transfer then will she transfer anyway? Or will she try to make amends and stick around? I certainly hope that her concerns can be addressed and she decides to stick around. It would be difficult to recruit a player of her caliber at this late date. If she never plays another game at ORU this will be a significant loss.

OldTimer's account on orusports.com is no longer active. 

Maybe those theories regarding his true identity hit a little too close for comfort.

Or, maybe since whichever senior he might be related to is now done, he has decided to pack bags, too.

Whatever.

But, since he's not around to ruffle feathers anymore, I will instead take issue with your statements regarding Taylor Cooper being our "best player" returning next year..

She's not - Sarah Shelton is. 

Hard to find tall, athletic, experienced post players who can score AND play defense.

Might argue that Cooper, on the other hand, has already topped out athletically, though there's no doubt she had some stellar moments this year as a freshman.

But, in the big scheme of things, she might not be as hard to replace in the long run as a more athletic player would be.  Just sayin'...

respectfully disagree.  not sure how you can say she topped out as a freshman.  towards the end of the year she was no longer just spotting up, but putting the ball on the court and creating her own shot.

i think she would have been ORU's best player next year.  much of Shelton's scoring was layups from superior passes from Bigham...not a ton of posting and beating her defender with low post moves.

i believe she will be more difficult to replace than you think. 

let's hope they work things out and we don't have to find out.

respectfully disagree.  not sure how you can say she topped out as a freshman.  towards the end of the year she was no longer just spotting up, but putting the ball on the court and creating her own shot.

i think she would have been ORU's best player next year.  much of Shelton's scoring was layups from superior passes from Bigham...not a ton of posting and beating her defender with low post moves.

i believe she will be more difficult to replace than you think. 

let's hope they work things out and we don't have to find out.

LOL - sounds like a Buddy Ryan "praising-with-faint-damnation" comment:  "All Shelton does is score lay-ups" (you can Google "All he does is score touchdowns" for context).

It takes size, hard work and good footwork to gain position and score catch-and-shoot lay-ups in the paint.  The work is all done BEFORE the pass gets there.

Hopefully, if we can get good point guard play next season, Shelton will be able to keep scoring those boring ol' lay-ups.

And, please note I said Cooper may have topped out athletically - it was in reference to her body type, not her skill level as an outside shooter.

it sounds like she is not happy at ORU.  if you can't be happy starting every game and a trip to the NCAA tournament then it's not a good fit...let her transfer.  i just would not release her to any school in Oklahoma or anybody on the schedule, but let her move on.

Women's basketball: Taylor Cooper hoping Oral Roberts will reverse decision on release

Taylor Cooper, who just completed her true freshman season with the Golden Eagles, requested a release to transfer to another NCAA Division I program, but ORU denied the release. She hopes Oral Roberts will reverse the decision at Thursday morning's appeals hearing.

“The university isn't what I thought it would be, school-wise and athletics-wise,†Cooper said. “I just don't think it's in my best interest to stay here. That's why I made my decision to leave.â€

Cooper said she was confused when her release request was denied because two other women's basketball players — redshirt freshman forward Emma Gade and sophomore guard Elisabeth Daniels — were recently granted releases. Daniels has already signed with Oklahoma Baptist, an NAIA school in Shawnee.

“They said it wasn't best for the university or for the women's basketball team,†Cooper said when asked if she was given a reason for her denial. “That's all they said. They didn't go into detail about it.â€

She made a commitment to ORU and now she is learning that there are consequences to breaking a commitment. I 100% agree with ORU Alum that she has an opportunity to be the leading scorer and face of the program for the next 3 years and just came off an NCAA appearance as a freshman, and she responds to that by dogging the university publicly? I wouldn't grant her release to any school and would force her to pay her own way next year somewhere else if she really thinks she can step into any other situation that would provide this great opportunity.

Sounds pretty naive to me. This is tough love IMO to get Taylor's attention and help her realize the great opportunity she had and how foolish it would be to walk away from it.

• Upvote 2

This smells like tampering to me. I would be interested to see if OU or OSU has been in contact with her former high school or AAU coaches - or family.

It probably bears mentioning that Cooper also switched high schools between her junior and senior years.

Perhaps her hometown high school wasn't what she thought it would be, "school-wise and athletics-wise".

Similar to her grammar, usage-wise... ;-)

If she wants to go...let her go....move on.....we want student-athletes who want to attend ORU...... :nerd: