UMKC to WAC

ORUalum

an interesting choice.  i'm not sure how this cast of characters is more stable than the Summit.

LINK

UMKC will be leaving the Summit League, joining Seattle, Idaho, New Mexico State, Cal-Bakersfield, Utah Valley, Texas-Pan American, Grand Canyon and Chicago State. Commissioner Jeff Hurd said he would like to grow the league to at least 10 members in the future.

The only possible reasons for this move that I can see is if UMKC believes they will be more competitive in the WAC because the conference is much weaker than the Summit League, or if the minimum number of required sports is lower so by dropping some sports perhaps there would be some perceived cost advantages.

Otherwise this move makes no sense. Worse conference, worse travel, more geographically misplaced and certainly more expensive travel, and probably less stable in the long term than the Summit League.

Perhaps there is more to this story?

• Upvote 1

Also, how in the world does this group of misfits retain an auto bid? Have at least 6 or 7 of these teams played together for at least 5 years?

Yes, it's a place for deep thinkers....  :-D  :rock:

Ooooooooo . . . Bogus gets the post of the week! You go into the drawing for post of the month, Bogus. And, as you know all monthly winners go into the $10,000 drawing at the end of the year. Thanks to ORUTerry and Dr. Cornelius for their generosity.

;-)

Grand Canyon University is the only (or one of the only) for-profits institutions in the NCAA.

The University of Phoenix should join the NCAA then....they already have a football stadium!!

Yes, it's a place for deep thinkers....  :-D  :rock:

Ah, I see what you did there :clap:

So, Grand Canyon U. is one of those online schools? And we thought ORU was having trouble with attendance.

Grand Canyon is a real "brick and mortar" school in Phoenix, with an interdenominational Christian foundation an enrollment of 6,500.  They are making the transition from DII to DI athletics, and their location gives them a strong baseball presence.  Their most storied alum is former major leaguer Tim Salmon.

I was referencing University of Phoenix as a for-profit school and the fact that they have brick-and-mortar satellite locations in Phoenix and other cities across the country (mostly in leased facilities).  Sorry for any confusion on my post.  I doubt that they have a desire to compete in athletics since most of their students have used up their eligibility, but they do have a pretty neat football stadium.  :)

Grand Canyon is a real "brick and mortar" school in Phoenix, with an interdenominational Christian foundation an enrollment of 6,500.  They are making the transition from DII to DI athletics, and their location gives them a strong baseball presence.  Their most storied alum is former major leaguer Tim Salmon.

In many ways GCU no longer resembles the university that first inhabited that brick and mortar campus (at least since it's sale in 2004). It makes me even more grateful for what the Green's have done for ORU. 

http://deadspin.com/5963972/grand-canyon-university-a-for+profit-school-previously-sued-by-the-feds-joins-the-great-scam-of-ncaa-division-i-athletics

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=17607

Here is an interesting article looking at the UMKC move to the WAC. Included is this speculation:

"But my sources indicate there has not been one word exchanged lately between the Missouri Valley and the Dakota schools. And even if Missouri Valley member Creighton left for a new private-school league, the Valley would probably look at replacing the Bluejays with another private school, like Oral Roberts, to maintain the public-private member balance."

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/389383/group/Sports/

I came across a comment that made me chuckle concerning the UMKC move to the WAC. The comment mentioned the storied history of the WAC conference and the fact that 2 or more teams had made the men's NCAA tournament from the WAC in 24 of the last 29 years.

Certainly now we can look forward to watching the WAC representative get beat by the SWAC representative for many years to come on the Tuesday evening 2 days after Selection Sunday. Once New Mexico St. leaves the WAC, UMKC will have as good a chance as anyone to make the tournament play-in game.

I think our ability to recruit the KC area just improved.

if I may interject here, I strongly believe ORU would be the top school to be considered to be asked to join the MVC IF IF IF Creighton leaves for the C-7. We are not going to get Butler, St. Louis, Xavier, etc.... Dayton could be a possible addition to the MVC if they were not asked to join the C-7. They may very well be left out of the C-7 conference if they decide to only go to 10 schools. It's all speculation right now, but I can tell you that nearly every MVC fan would have no trouble with ORU as an addition to the MVC.

I suspect we'll know more this summer when the legal issues with the Big East and C-7 are finalized. So stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

if I may interject here, I strongly believe ORU would be the top school to be considered to be asked to join the MVC IF IF IF Creighton leaves for the C-7. We are not going to get Butler, St. Louis, Xavier, etc.... Dayton could be a possible addition to the MVC if they were not asked to join the C-7. They may very well be left out of the C-7 conference if they decide to only go to 10 schools. It's all speculation right now, but I can tell you that nearly every MVC fan would have no trouble with ORU as an addition to the MVC.

I suspect we'll know more this summer when the legal issues with the Big East and C-7 are finalized. So stay tuned.

do you think the MVC would look at NDSU and SDSU? those states are flowing with oil and gas money and are pouring a lot into higher education.

do you think the MVC would look at NDSU and SDSU? those states are flowing with oil and gas money and are pouring a lot into higher education.

no chance they're admitted, none, nada, zilcho..... that would mean the MVC transforms from a bus league to having to use expensive airline flights for the olympic sports teams. Not going to happen. And the private schools are never going to vote for them anyway, so right there you have 3 "no" votes (assuming CU should leave). SIU, INS, MSU, and ILS would more than likely vote "no" due to the increase in travel costs. Adding a team like ORU keeps the league as a bus league. And after all Tulsa was in the league as you all know, so it's not like the MVC has never had a team from Tulsa. 

the dakota fans are trying to justify why they should be added in a thread on mvcfans.com, it's actually quite comical because they're repeatedly being rebuffed by 99% of the MVC posters. 

I have always found it interesting that the major conferences keep at least one private school: SEC (Vanderbilt), PAC-12 (Stanford), Big 12 (Baylor), Big 10 (Northwestern). I wonder if they do this so that they can keep some things private in their business dealings.